Time outs at the end of the game

It was the most despicable moment that he has had at Nebraska.  That was ridiculous, uncalled for.  If you seriously think that helped Patrick, you are an uninformed football fan.  It was gross, I would fire him for that alone.  I am more embarrassed as a Husker fan for the timeouts, then score of the game.  It showed Mike just doesn't get it, the idiot couldn't call a timeout in the right place in 20 years of coaching.  It was a shocking display of ineptitude by a man who is clearly outmatched game after game in the coaching ranks.  I have no sympathy left for anyone who would disgrace the program like those 3 timeouts did.  

Edited by KingBlank
  • Plus1 2

48 minutes ago, Kernal said:

I thought he did it to let POB try to score since we were right down there and that was POB's first major game action.  I didn't think anything of it at the time.  Surprised some people are trying to make a big deal out of it, I mean: who cares?

As he should of when POb was doing the same thing against OSU when MR dilly dallied getting in the plays. 

1 hour ago, gobiggergoredder said:

It did allow Minny to get two more sacks that the wouldn't have.

Well played Mike.

It was all about the sacks.  As someone pointed out in the game thread, POB could be the leading rusher and it would have been close without the sacks.  The OL made it obvious this was the plan.

1 hour ago, fire mike said:

My thoughts too

Looked and played as completely classless.  Imagine what we would think of an opponent who was getting obliterated and then had the bad taste to call all their timeouts in the last 45 seconds for no purpose other than to delay the game...  looked really, really bad.

1 minute ago, teachercd said:

Just a guess but because Mike is so horrible at clock management is so bad I am thinking he was practicing for his next job...

That's what I was going to say. He was practicing his clock management. I don't know why. The next two games will be over before the first quarter ends, and I cannot MR ever coaching again at any level above junior high.

7 minutes ago, neepster said:

Looked and played as completely classless.  Imagine what we would think of an opponent who was getting obliterated and then had the bad taste to call all their timeouts in the last 45 seconds for no purpose other than to delay the game...  looked really, really bad.

I don’t disagree but, selfishly, I was hoping they’d call the time out to try and get POB a touchdown. He played pretty damn well and deserved at least an opportunity to finish off the drive. 

20 minutes ago, fire mike said:

I don’t disagree but, selfishly, I was hoping they’d call the time out to try and get POB a touchdown. He played pretty damn well and deserved at least an opportunity to finish off the drive. 

Well, maybe that was ostensibly the reason, but I think it would have been better to just let the game go.  POB will have more chances.  No point in getting him injured.

Look...I have coached for years (with pretty much the same record as Riley)

When I have been HC I never called timeouts in that situation and most other teams don't either.  

We had a game this season where we were killing the other team and our HC called a timeout when we had the ball with like 6 seconds left.  When it was all over I ran out to shake hands and said to one of the opposing coaches "Sorry about that timeout man, we had a backup in and the kid was clueless"  He started laughing and said "When you guys called that we said, they better have some one legged kid coming in or something" and we both laughed.  

Moral of the story...let the f'ing game end

• Plus1 2