Time outs at the end of the game

44 minutes ago, fire mike said:

I don’t disagree but, selfishly, I was hoping they’d call the time out to try and get POB a touchdown. He played pretty damn well and deserved at least an opportunity to finish off the drive. 

He was given a whole half to score a touchdown.  The timeouts were stupid.

8 hours ago, MichiganDad3 said:

That's what I was going to say. He was practicing his clock management. I don't know why. The next two games will be over before the first quarter ends, and I cannot MR ever coaching again at any level above junior high.

Careful, it seems every coach who leaves Nebraska goes on to have successful coaching careers.

38 minutes ago, mwj98 said:

My apologies up front. I didnt see the end of the game. Someone please explain too me the timeout situation. What happened?

Riley burned his timeouts on the final drive with only seconds left as if they had any shot at , not just winning the game, but scoring at all. Only result was POB getting knocked around and the announcers making fun of it.

5 hours ago, mwj98 said:

My apologies up front. I didnt see the end of the game. Someone please explain too me the timeout situation. What happened?

Actually MR was reading this board on saturday morning and noticed several times over the course of the year that fans complained that players weren't getting enough game time action because it is so different then practice time.  POB got in or near the read zone at the end of the game and took the advice of the fans - trying to give his young QB some live action to see if he could be successful in the situation.  

By the way how do you know that Scott Frost didn't buzz in and tell MR to let the kid play?  Always nice to see some extra game film of a kid that you may or may not want next year.....

2 minutes ago, GBRFAN said:

Actually MR was reading this board on saturday morning and noticed several times over the course of the year that fans complained that players weren't getting enough game time action because it is so different then practice time.  POB got in or near the read zone at the end of the game and took the advice of the fans - trying to give his young QB some live action to see if he could be successful in the situation.  

By the way how do you know that Scott Frost didn't buzz in and tell MR to let the kid play?  Always nice to see some extra game film of a kid that you may or may not want next year.....

Yeah, those two sacks are really going to allow for a thorough evaluation.

You are down 33 points with 26 seconds left but you've got a first down on your opponents 14 yard line.

I understand wanting to end on any kind of positive note but after you take a 6 yard sack on first down, do you just let it end there? Nope. Call timeout.

Three more downs, two more timeouts, two more sacks, and 13 seconds later you sheepishly hand the ball back to your opponent on their 26 yard line so they can take a knee to end the game. It sort of sums up the current state of Nebraska football. Sad, pathetic, and worse.

Here's the entire sequence...

1-10 Minn 14 - Patrick O'Brien sacked for loss of 6 yards to the MINN20 (Barber, Thomas). Timeout Nebraska, clock 00:26.

2-16 Minn 20 - Patrick O'Brien pass complete to JD Spielman for 6 yards to the MINN14 (Shenault, A). Timeout Nebraska, clock 00:19.

3-10 Minn 14 Patrick O'Brien sacked for loss of 7 yards to the MINN21 (Coughlin, C). Timeout Nebraska, clock 00:13.

4-17 Minn 21 Patrick O'Brien sacked for loss of 5 yards to the MINN26 (DeLattiboudere).

• Plus1 1