The Democrat Utopia

15 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Yeah.....maybe that's where we need to be looking.

Med school too...why is it so expensive?  Why are we having doctors come out of school with 250,000 dollars in debt?  Stop it, it makes zero sense.  Of course doctors will charge a lot with that kind of debt.  

1 minute ago, teachercd said:

Med school too...why is it so expensive?  Why are we having doctors come out of school with 250,000 dollars in debt?  Stop it, it makes zero sense.  Of course doctors will charge a lot with that kind of debt.  

You're right.  This is a major issue.  And....if I were too come out of school with that debt, I would expect to be able to charge that much too.  

Problem is, the doctor's income is the easy target.  We see them living in mansions on the hill with all the perks.  But, there is way more waste to cut than wages and salaries for people who are actually providing care.

There is way too much waste in the entire system of insurance, hospitals, drug companies and all the middle men in between.

• Plus1 2
7 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

You're right.  This is a major issue.  And....if I were too come out of school with that debt, I would expect to be able to charge that much too.  

Problem is, the doctor's income is the easy target.  We see them living in mansions on the hill with all the perks.  But, there is way more waste to cut than wages and salaries for people who are actually providing care.

There is way too much waste in the entire system of insurance, hospitals, drug companies and all the middle men in between.

Amen!  

Shoot, no one even knows what doctors charge until AFTER the visit. 

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

I'm still trying to process the thought that produces this question.

So....just to be clear, you are fine with a medical system where people have to beg for money to pay for life sustaining medication.  Their life then is dependent on if people are kind enough to donate to them.

No I'm not for that, which is precisely why I roll my eyes at a single payer health system. It's not free, and it will only add fuel to the fire.

2 minutes ago, Oade said:

No I'm not for that, which is precisely why I roll my eyes at a single payer health system. It's not free, and it will only add fuel to the fire.

I look at it like the tax hike will be my premiums. Actually probably save me money on premiums. But instead of paying a crazy high deductible before insurance will even pay a dime, you dont have the deductible. 

• Plus1 3
34 minutes ago, Oade said:

Of course it's not free; the current system is also not free. However, 30+ other countries show that single payer works at least as well as our current system. And studies have shown that Medicare-for-All should save somewhere between $2 trillion and $5 trillion over a decade as compared to the current system.

• Plus1 5

1 hour ago, Oade said:

Confused.

You're not for someone begging for money for life sustaining medication.....and that's why you are not for a single payer plan.  Meanwhile, the current system is where people are begging for money for medications and being charged 600% more than people who are currently on a governmental single payer plan.

I hope you can see why I'm confused and can clarify where you're coming from on this.

2 hours ago, Frott Scost said:

Exactly. So if we can all see the problem, how is AOC “radical” for pointing it out?

There's nothing radical about her pointing that out.

There are plenty of other radical ideologies she does subscribe to. But this isn't representative of anything radical.

11 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

What "other radical ideologies" does AOC subscribe to?

Canceling all student debt and a universal job guarantee ($15/hr, full healthcare, and paid child and sick leave included) for everyone are two.

Not necessarily attributing this to her specifically, but she very comfortably identifies as part of the DSA, which believes in the abolition of capitalism in favor of an economy run either by “the workers” or the state.

Just now, Landlord said:

Canceling all student debt and a universal job guarantee ($15/hr, full healthcare, and paid child and sick leave included) for everyone are two.

Not necessarily attributing this to her specifically, but she very comfortably identifies as part of the DSA, which believes in the abolition of capitalism in favor of an economy run either by “the workers” or the state.

I can see DSA as being radical. But $15/hr minimum wage, full healthcare, and paid child and sick leave aren't radical at all. Cancelling student debt isn't radical but not as mainstream as those others.