The Democrat Utopia

12 hours ago, methodical said:

Frankly as an employee I'd love to not have it tied to a specific workplace, just like I'd love to not have my 401k account tied to a specific workplace.  I am glad for the benefits because its how things are done now, but I'd be just as happy having my salary bumped up to match the cost of those benefits and paying taxes for healthcare and not having to deal with insurance companies.  I'm not naive enough to think employers enjoy dealing with it, but it does tie people to jobs when they might otherwise move to better jobs, because it's a gamble to lose coverage.  The fact that you don't do it for that reason doesn't mean it doesn't have that effect.

Yep i started working for my company 25 years ago, mainly because i couldn't afford healthcare for my family, any other way, and 25 years later that's still true . I've had to pass on several opportunities that I may have liked better, because their overall package wasn't as good. (No insurance, no pension, bad 401K program etc) I would love to see all of that separated from my employer so id have true freedom to do what i wanted.

• Plus1 1

52 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

When someone is making 365x as much as another person making $13/hour, there should be course correction in how we place value on people.

The person is making that much. We aren't giving it to them. I don't have any assessment of how I value Jeff Bezos. I don't know the guy, I don't care about him, I don't assess whether he's good or bad or anything like that. But I pay for Amazon prime. 

Maybe instead of telling the government to take away more of his money I should just stop giving him money? I'm not making an argument I'm just exploring an idea. How does how much person X vs person Y makes extrapolate into us valuing them? The money I make is little related to how much people value me, but much more related to me doing work and doing good work and earning it.

• Plus1 1

7 hours ago, Landlord said:

The person is making that much. We aren't giving it to them. I don't have any assessment of how I value Jeff Bezos. I don't know the guy, I don't care about him, I don't assess whether he's good or bad or anything like that. But I pay for Amazon prime. 

Maybe instead of telling the government to take away more of his money I should just stop giving him money? I'm not making an argument I'm just exploring an idea. How does how much person X vs person Y makes extrapolate into us valuing them? The money I make is little related to how much people value me, but much more related to me doing work and doing good work and earning it.

Money is how society places value on people. I’m talking in general here. It doesn’t mean you as an individual think one person is better than another because they are paid more. But we (collectively) have decided that. We’ve decided people who program video games are worth more than most painters. Even if the latter might be more talented. In this example it’s basically just supply and demand, so it makes sense. The former is creating something more people want. On the other hand I work on policy to try to increase a financial company’s profits. In reality I’m probably only making like 20 people in the universe happy but making more than most artists.

This is a way I started thinking about it recently. In an age where there are millions of people employed just to make the wealthy more wealthy, not because they are benefitting society in any way, there needs to be something that prevents poverty as that gap gets bigger and bigger. Especially when the people in or close to poverty might be working 40 hours and be doing something that helps a larger # of people.

7 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

...but are those two people doing the same job...?

Not relevant. There is no one debating that some people should get paid a lot more than others.

3 minutes ago, Big Red 40 said:

Is it possible to work 365x harder or do 365x better work than another person ? Nope. So using that as a measure of ones “worth” doesn’t work very well . 

Not sure if you're agreeing with me or disagreeing, heh. We use money as a measure of worth, but someone can't be worth 365x more than someone, imo. (As I posted somewhere, I could buy the argument that someone who saves lives might be).

• Plus1 1

Our public policy is reflective of the value we assign to different groups of people. Ideally, it should benefit everyone or failing that, the largest number of people possible.

The question should be our policy be more beneficial to the Bezos's of the world than the average Joe. Bezos is kind of the exception to the rule because he seems to have actually worked his way up the ladder and made his own fortune, rather than inheriting it. Regardless, does our society justify policy that makes it easier to grow/maintain/keep more of your own wealth if you have as much as Bezos at the expense of people who don't have those means?

That's the argument here: That public policy has unduly benefited those of means because it's "good for the economy."

• Plus1 1
19 minutes ago, Clifford Franklin said:

That's the argument here: That public policy has unduly benefited those of means because it's "good for the economy."

It's not really an argument. It's an undeniable yes. Although it is a different topic than taxation. One could be for low taxes and want a lot of the policies that benefit only the wealthy be changed. Like bailing them out because they're "too big to fail," removing regulations that keep people safe, putting a cap on what corporations can be sued for, letting them schmooze politicians and help write policy (which is how much of the former happens), letting them off easy when they break the law because they're only committing "white collar" crimes. IMO, no one should want taxes to be lowered until the other stuff is fixed.

Nice related read here:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/mikecollins/2015/07/14/the-big-bank-bailout/#776729a32d83

Most people think that the big bank bailout was the $700 billion that the treasury department used to save the banks during the financial crash in September of 2008. But this is a long way from the truth because the bailout is still ongoing. The Special Inspector General for TARP summary of the bailout says that the total commitment of government is $16.8 trillion dollars with the $4.6 trillion already paid out.

• Plus1 2

8 hours ago, Clifford Franklin said:

You’re right. Welcoming the crushing weight of the latter’s boot upon the former’s neck is really the way to go.

Luckily, we live in a capitalistic society, and you don't have to let that happen....

We could just solve all of this by implementing a consumption tax. 

• Plus1 1
9 hours ago, Moiraine said:

When someone is making 365x as much as another person making $13/hour, there should be course correction in how we place value on people.

Nothing about what a person makes indicates the value as they as a person. It’s a value of what they are doing and what they did to get there. 

1 hour ago, Moiraine said:

Money is how society places value on people

No. 

• Plus1 1
24 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Luckily, we live in a capitalistic society, and you don't have to let that happen....

We could just solve all of this by implementing a consumption tax. 

Yeah, we should probably ignore how things were done for most of last century, and refuse to go back to something that worked.

• Plus1 3

We’ve decided people who program video games are worth more than most painters. 

No we haven’t. The people paying those two people have decided how much they value the service they are providing and that is heavily indicative of how easy it is to find a person that can do that service. 

Nothing about that is indicative of them as a person. 

I know now an amazing person who is the beer cart girl at our local golf course. But, I’m not going to pay her the same as I’m going to pay my heart surgeon who is a total egotistical prick.  

Money is how society places value on people. I’m talking in general here. It doesn’t mean you as an individual think one person is better than another because they are paid more. But we (collectively) have decided that. We’ve decided people who program video games are worth more than most painters. Even if the latter might be more talented. In this example it’s basically just supply and demand, so it makes sense. The former is creating something more people want. On the other hand I work on policy to try to increase a financial company’s profits. In reality I’m probably only making like 20 people in the universe happy but making more than most artists.

This is a way I started thinking about it recently. In an age where there are millions of people employed just to make the wealthy more wealthy, not because they are benefitting society in any way, there needs to be something that prevents poverty as that gap gets bigger and bigger. Especially when the people in or close to poverty might be working 40 hours and be doing something that helps a larger # of people.

Not relevant. There is no one debating that some people should get paid a lot more than others.

that seems to be exactly what you are debating...

• Plus1 3