The Democrat Utopia

It's a surprise any of her controversies are news tbh. Jews are the most invisible oppressed/minority people group out there, and in the left's oppression olympics they're often forgotten about and lumped in with 'white privilege'. On the other hand, being muslim is one of the biggest oppression cards you can play. 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Landlord said:

It's a surprise any of her controversies are news tbh. Jews are the most invisible oppressed/minority people group out there, and in the left's oppression olympics they're often forgotten about and lumped in with 'white privilege'. On the other hand, being muslim is one of the biggest oppression cards you can play. 

Although Jews are a oppressed minority in many cases, let's not give Israel a pass on what they're doing in Palestine:

https://www.hrw.org/world-report/2018/country-chapters/israel/palestine

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2018/may/14/israeli-troops-kill-palestinians-protesting-against-us-embassy-move-to-jerusalem-live-updates

https://www.economist.com/leaders/2018/05/17/how-to-end-the-endless-conflict-between-israel-and-the-palestinians

I wonder if the fact she is Muslim and wears a hijab is one of the reasons this is getting the kind of traction it is.

You have to tread really lightly and speak very tactfully if you wish to criticize Israel as an American politician. But we barely blinked in the past when Trump and other white GOP dudes peddled in anti-Semitic nonsense.

• Plus1 2
6 hours ago, Clifford Franklin said:

I wonder if the fact she is Muslim and wears a hijab is one of the reasons this is getting the kind of traction it is.

You have to tread really lightly and speak very tactfully if you wish to criticize Israel as an American politician. But we barely blinked in the past when Trump and other white GOP dudes peddled in anti-Semitic nonsense.

Ding ding ding we have a winner. 

45 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Oh....that’s right. If someone’s a minority, we can’t criticize. 

YOU can, because you've shown yourself to be a reasonable person with run-of-the-mill biases and a pretty open mind. You aren't the kind of person we're talking about.

The point of the last several posts is not that we can't criticize Omar, it's that the people criticizing her are either much worse discriminators themselves, or harboring MUCH worse in their midst.

Omar deserves scrutiny in proper measure. She is not being treated the same as Steve King, for example.  The "why" of that is worth examining.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

Oh....that’s right. If someone’s a minority, we can’t criticize. 

Criticize all you want, but the reason this is getting blown out of proportion (lawmakers and president calling her to resign) when things way worse than this get said all the time is because she is one of the only muslim women in congress.  A lawmaker in WV just said if his kids were gay hed drown them.  Is that receiving the same backlash?

• Plus1 1
21 minutes ago, knapplc said:

YOU can, because you've shown yourself to be a reasonable person with run-of-the-mill biases and a pretty open mind. You aren't the kind of person we're talking about.

The point of the last several posts is not that we can't criticize Omar, it's that the people criticizing her are either much worse discriminators themselves, or harboring MUCH worse in their midst.

Omar deserves scrutiny in proper measure. She is not being treated the same as Steve King, for example.  The "why" of that is worth examining.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but she has been heavily criticized by the Dems too.

It seems to me that SOME of the people criticizing her are hypocrites, but the posts above then lump all the criticism together as hypocritical.  

It's no different than SOME of the people who didn't like Obama were racist.  But, some people lumped the vast majority of criticism of him into racism.

5 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but she has been heavily criticized by the Dems too.

It seems to me that SOME of the people criticizing her are hypocrites, but the posts above then lump all the criticism together as hypocritical.  

It's no different than SOME of the people who didn't like Obama were racist.  But, some people lumped the vast majority of criticism of him into racism.

I think there's merit in pointing out that this woman, who has been sitting in congress for weeks, is getting more pushback for some pretty innocuous comments than Steve King and a plethora of other racists in congress have gotten in decades. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

I'd say it has more to do with the fact that her and Taliab are openly, and shamelessly anti-Semitic.

Ilhan Omar’s tweet revealed core truths about anti-Semitism in AmericaOmar’s tweet was bad. But the Republican reaction was profoundly hypocritical.

That's an article that's worth reading because it describes both why Omar deserved criticism and why a lot of the reaction is way overblown and hypocritical.

• Thanks 1
12 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I think there's merit in pointing out that this woman, who has been sitting in congress for weeks, is getting more pushback for some pretty innocuous comments than Steve King and a plethora of other racists in congress have gotten in decades. 

And I'm perfectly fine criticizing her AND pointing out that Steve King is a piece of crap that has been spewing racist hate for years and just recently has been catching flack for it.  I'm also fine with pointing out that the alt right strongly supports King and other Republicans and they are extremely anti-Semitic.  

1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

And I'm perfectly fine criticizing her AND pointing out that Steve King is a piece of crap that has been spewing racist hate for years and just recently has been catching flack for it.

Yep. Ideally, that's what would be happening. Except that King would have been ridden out of town on a rail more than a decade ago, while Omar gets the same rail if she doesn't stop with the antisemitic rhetoric like now.