The Democrat Utopia

3 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

But if you’re worried he’s going to refuse to step down, why talk about sending him to prison right now? Let it play out in the court system if he’s guilty of crimes. Don’t increase the likelihood of toppling our government. 

I think she is trying to tamp down cries for impeachment. The fire is getting hot with Nadler wanting to get started right away. I think Nancy is using this strong language to buy time or hold off impeachment. Anything short of what she said and Dems would be heavily critisizing her for doing nothing. Its a political move in my opinion to back her party off the impeachment ledge. 

All of this said I don't really agree with the tactic. She is afraid if they impeach and can't convict that will spur Trump into a second term but frankly I don't think that is the case. Depending on how much McConnell can shield Trump I think impeachment proceedings will hurt Trump not help him as people think right now. Get the guy under oath and it won't take much to make him unelectable a second time I think. 

• Plus1 1

26 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I think Pelosi is stalling to begin impeachment hearings next year so there's plenty of bad press for Trump during the election year.

Agree.  If the house votes to impeach, we all know Senate won’t remove Trump.  This means the dems lose all ammo during election year because most Americans will assume since Trump wasn’t removed he did nothing wrong.

1 hour ago, knapplc said:

I think Pelosi is stalling to begin impeachment hearings next year so there's plenty of bad press for Trump during the election year.

Haven't heard or thought of that but that is the best gameplan I've heard yet.

12 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Haven't heard or thought of that but that is the best gameplan I've heard yet.

Ya... it is an interesting idea. 

This is currently where I’m at too.

At one point in time I thought maybe they wouldn’t do it at all. It seems inevitable now. For all the flak she take some Pelosi is an extremely formidable political tactician. Seems like she wants to hold off to twist the knife in the middle of the election. Good, Trump has earned it.

• Plus1 2
6 hours ago, knapplc said:

4 hours ago, Danny Bateman said:

This is currently where I’m at too.

At one point in time I thought maybe they wouldn’t do it at all. It seems inevitable now. For all the flak she take some Pelosi is an extremely formidable political tactician. Seems like she wants to hold off to twist the knife in the middle of the election. Good, Trump has earned it.

I mean, credit to Pelosi if that's her plan, but I don't think it is.

And I keep hearing what a good politician/tactician Pelosi is, but what's she done to deserve that title? She's the House leader because she raises the most money. But she led them to historic levels of losing and has passed hardly any legislation - the only exception was the ACA where the Dems held a veto-proof super majority. That should have been an easy layup. After how badly the Dems have gotten trounced under her leadership, I'm surprised people think she's even average.

• Plus1 1
  • 1 month later...

7 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Funny how Ilhan Omar isn't backing down from Trump's racism. She's got moxie for a noob in the House.

Moxie is great but I wonder how much that trip to Africa cost the tax payers just to prove a point.  (yes probably about .0001% of Trump's golf outings thus far)

Just now, TGHusker said:

Moxie is great but I wonder how much that trip to Africa cost the tax payers just to prove a point.  (yes probably about .0001% of Trump's golf outings thus far)

That's an interesting takeaway.

They're there to commemorate the 400th anniversary of the slave trade to America. I think we should have sent someone there to speak for America. I guess my first thought about that wasn't what it would cost taxpayers.  More like what the slave trade cost in terms of human lives and suffering over the centuries.

• Plus1 4
2 minutes ago, knapplc said:

That's an interesting takeaway.

They're there to commemorate the 400th anniversary of the slave trade to America. I think we should have sent someone there to speak for America. I guess my first thought about that wasn't what it would cost taxpayers.  More like what the slave trade cost in terms of human lives and suffering over the centuries.

Ok, I didn't read why they went.  So  no issue wt them going.  I agree wt the bold - since that was the topic.  World wide slavery is a blight on the human soul through out the ages and it continues today.

• Plus1 2
5 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Ok, I didn't read why they went.  So  no issue wt them going.  I agree wt the bold - since that was the topic.  World wide slavery is a blight on the human soul through out the ages and it continues today.

I would agree that maybe sending the Speaker of the House is a thing for debate. Someone from the Administration should have. But you know there's no way that was going to happen.