The Democrat Utopia

10 hours ago, knapplc said:

I feel like honestly very few districts are far left or right. I think the news gives us a too distorted view of these things.

Most everything is a shade of purple. 

I often say that every election is a vote for the lesser of evils. I think the only moderate presidential candidate in my lifetime was McCain. And I am not even sure about that.

10 hours ago, knapplc said:

I feel like honestly very few districts are far left or right. I think the news gives us a too distorted view of these things.

Most everything is a shade of purple. 

There is some truth to this, however most races are not competitive due to hyper partisan polarization. The median House district is center-right, and the chances for either party to pick up seats are slimmer than ever. Their are many built in GOP advantages to House races, but less so than the Senate and probably the electoral college.

In fact, according to the Cook Political Report, the number of "battle ground" House races are at the lowest point since they've kept track of them, and the rate of this is increasing. There are many reasons for this, but it's an interesting topic to keep track of.

9 minutes ago, nic said:

I often say that every election is a vote for the lesser of evils. I think the only moderate presidential candidate in my lifetime was McCain. And I am not even sure about that.

The problem with defining a candidate is that any candidate that is more centrist, is going to have some views that are strong conservative or liberal.  So, people key on those few views and ignore the rest.  McCain is a good example.  Pretty moderate and willing to work with the other side while having pretty strong conservative views on things like the military.  Another is Biden.  Biden was probably the most moderate candidate on the Democratic stage in the last election. But, it's easy to paint him as an extreme liberal based on a few opinions.

If we had a viable 3rd or 4th party, it would be harder for a particular party to paint the only other candidate into a corner based on a few views.

8 minutes ago, nic said:

This is a primary example of false equivalency. 

One party nominated a guy who started his political career by saying Obama was born in Kenya and said Mexicans are rapists and murderers. He also claims that climate change is a hoax and last year decided that it was advantageous to campaign against science and mask use. How many Americans have died because of this campaign choice? 

We can agree that all politicians are annoying. But while wokeism is annoying, the policies of Dems are not leading to the destruction of the planet nor leading to the deaths of hundreds of thousands of people. Don't equate the two.

• Plus1 4
  • Haha 2
10 hours ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

This is a primary example of false equivalency. 

One party nominated a guy who started his political career by saying Obama was born in Kenya and said Mexicans are rapists and murderers. He also claims that climate change is a hoax and last year decided that it was advantageous to campaign against science and mask use. How many Americans have died because of this campaign choice? 

We can agree that all politicians are annoying. But while wokeism is annoying, the policies of Dems are not leading to the destruction of the planet nor leading to the deaths of hundreds of thousands of people. Don't equate the two.

QAnon crazies, Antifa anarchists. Build the wall, defund the police. Stolen election, Russian interference and collusion. I shake my head at Taylor Green and AOC. The hypocrisy of  politicians is on full display. From Ted bailing on Texas to the lockdown mayors and governors breaking their own rules. They make decisions to stay in power and hope they don’t get caught for the crap they pull. The media has taken sides. Sorry man, I don’t trust very many of them.   I am watching what happens next. Not off to a good start. Maybe we will get a bipartisan Bill someday.

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, nic said:

QAnon crazies, Antifa anarchists. Build the wall, defund the police. Stolen election, Russian interference and collusion. I shake my head at Taylor Green and AOC. The hypocrisy of  politicians is on full display. From Ted bailing on Texas to the lockdown mayors and governors breaking their own rules. They make decisions to stay in power and hope they don’t get caught for the crap they pull. The media has taken sides. Sorry man, I don’t trust very many of them.   I am watching what happens next. Not off to a good start. Maybe we will get a bipartisan Bill someday.

I mostly agree, however bipartisanship is really difficult. Voters unfortunately reward obstruction (from both sides) so there really isn't a reason for the party not in power to work with the President. Voters want this. 

As far as politicians, I find AOC annoying, but smart. Comparing somebody like AOC to Taylor Green is not the same thing. One believes in climate change and the other believes in Jewish Space Lasers. They are not the same, even if you disagree with both as I do. 

• Plus1 2
10 hours ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

I mostly agree, however bipartisanship is really difficult. Voters unfortunately reward obstruction (from both sides) so there really isn't a reason for the party not in power to work with the President. Voters want this. 

As far as politicians, I find AOC annoying, but smart. Comparing somebody like AOC to Taylor Green is not the same thing. One believes in climate change and the other believes in Jewish Space Lasers. They are not the same, even if you disagree with both as I do. 

That pretty much sums it up for me.  I disagree with both.  But, even though I'm not a fan and disagree with her, AOC is lightyears ahead of Greene on brains.  And, I would add, AOC is no where close to as much of a danger to America as Greene.

• Plus1 4

2 hours ago, funhusker said:

Because obviously a govt banning an internet platform used by the public and an internet platform suspending/banning an individual for attempting to incite the masses with false news are the same thing...

Because, obviously, it's about precedent. Banning Trump from Twitter was purely political. Politicians, and many other "important" people, spread false news all the time on social media platforms. Precedent. Obviously.

And just because what's happening on Nigeria is a larger scale/bigger deal than banning any single person, it doesn't erase the irony. Obviously.

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 4
  • Fire 1
2 hours ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Because, obviously, it's about precedent. Banning Trump from Twitter was purely political. Politicians, and many other "important" people, spread false news all the time on social media platforms. Precedent. Obviously.

And just because what's happening on Nigeria is a larger scale/bigger deal than banning any single person, it doesn't erase the irony. Obviously.

Trump is not the only person who has had his Twitter account put on lock down.  There actually is a ton of precedent of people not following rules and getting the boot.  And unfortunately yes, many people still have accounts when they shouldn’t.

It’s not a matter of it happening on a larger scale in Nigeria.  These situations are not the same at all.  

• Plus1 4
25 minutes ago, funhusker said:

Trump is not the only person who has had his Twitter account put on lock down.  There actually is a ton of precedent of people not following rules and getting the boot.  And unfortunately yes, many people still have accounts when they shouldn’t.

It’s not a matter of it happening on a larger scale in Nigeria.  These situations are not the same at all.  

It's not apples to apples, like I admitted, but there's some irony.

• Plus1 1
7 hours ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Hilariously ironic.

They certainly think highly of themselves. Maybe if they were impartial and consistent I would feel sorry for them. Too much power, they need to be broken up.

• Haha 1
  • Fire 1