The Democrat Utopia

Omar does it again.  Open mouth - start outrage.   Puts USA in same camp as Taliban and  Hamas.  Omar, should be reminded that she would not be a representative if she was under the rule of the Taliban or Hamas.  Funny how quickly she can forget where she lives and the opportunities she has gained by living here. :facepalm:  She proves again that there is enough flakiness on the left to compete with the right.

https://dnyuz.com/2021/06/10/ilhan-omar-again-sets-off-a-fight-among-democrats/

Representative Ilhan Omar is again at odds with her Democratic colleagues over Israel, but this time, she has brought her own country into the mix.

The latest contretemps began on Monday, when Ms. Omar, Democrat of Minnesota, wrote on Twitter about a virtual exchange she had with Secretary of State Antony J. Blinken. In the actual exchange, Ms. Omar pressed for an investigation of human rights abuses both by Israeli security forces and by Hamas. But on Twitter, she seemed to compare Israel and the United States not only to Hamas, considered a terrorist group by the State Department, but also to the Taliban

“We must have the same level of accountability and justice for all victims of crimes against humanity,” she wrote. “We have seen unthinkable atrocities committed by the U.S., Hamas, Israel, Afghanistan, and the Taliban.”

The analogy prompted outrage from a dozen Jewish Democrats in the House. They issued a statement saying that equating the United States and Israel to Hamas and the Taliban “is as offensive as it is misguided,” and, in congressional parlance usually meant to elicit an apology, they asked her to “clarify her words.”

“Ignoring the differences between democracies governed by the rule of law and contemptible organizations that engage in terrorism at best discredits one’s intended argument and at worst reflects deep-seated prejudice,” they wrote. “The United States and Israel are imperfect and, like all democracies, at times deserving of critique, but false equivalencies give cover to terrorist groups.”

Rather than apologize, Ms. Omar fired off a defiant response on Thursday morning.

“It’s shameful for colleagues who call me when they need my support to now put out a statement asking for ‘clarification’ and not just call,” wrote Ms. Omar, one of two Muslim women in the House, accusing her detractors of bigotry. “The Islamophobic tropes in this statement are offensive. The constant harassment & silencing from the signers of this letter is unbearable.”

• Plus1 2

1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

Thomas Sowell is a national treasure and should be held up as someone young black men aspire to be in the African American community. 

I don’t see what he’s getting at.

Social justice to me is making sure everyone is treated the same under the law and receives govt services equitably.

I don’t think it’s “envious” for a person to want to aspire to be treated in a way that they have every right to be treated.  

• Plus1 4
7 minutes ago, funhusker said:

I don’t see what he’s getting at.

Social justice to me is making sure everyone is treated the same under the law and receives govt services equitably.

I don’t think it’s “envious” for a person to want to aspire to be treated in a way that they have every right to be treated.  

He is speaking of equality vs equity.   Social justice has been co-opted to have people think everyone deserves the same outcomes.  

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

He is speaking of equality vs equity.   Social justice has been co-opted to have people think everyone deserves the same outcomes.  

Maybe in the eyes of people who are against “wokeness”.  But I think most rational people see that social justice means LGBT rights, fair legal system, appropriate education no matter the neighborhood or socio-economic status, etc.

I would argue that the usually conservative stance of “school choice” has more to do with envy than equity.

• Plus1 2
17 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Nope. Everybody deserves to be treated equally given the same circumstances. Everyone deserves the same opportunity to improve their circumstances. Everyone who is paying attention knows America doesn't live up to its lofty ideals in matters of race and class, and some people misuse words like social justice and envy when deep down they just want to call the underclass lazy. 

• Plus1 1
14 minutes ago, funhusker said:

But I think most rational people see that social justice means LGBT rights, fair legal system, appropriate education no matter the neighborhood or socio-economic status, etc.

People would like to believe that, but as I said, most rational people know the social justice movement has been co-opted to make people believe everyone deserves the same things regardless of effort or work outside of what you mentioned.  The antithesis of a capitalist society. 

• Plus1 1
Just now, Archy1221 said:

People would like to believe that, but as I said, most rational people know the social justice movement has been co-opted to make people believe everyone deserves the same things regardless of effort or work outside of what you mentioned.  The antithesis of a capitalist society. 

And people would like to believe that the underclass is just lazy and could have whatever they want if they were merely willing to work twice as hard.

Fun fact: a capitalist society relies on a lot of people doing a lot of work that the most successful capitalists aren't willing to do. There's a strong motive to create a false division of "makers & takers" and fill it with ideological bulls#!t and systemic checks designed to keep people in their place. 

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1