The Democrat Utopia

25 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

My mistake. I thought you were talking about corporations avoiding taxes through unenforced loopholes, shipping jobs overseas, profiting massively, and asking the middle class to absorb any burdens, costs, and risks for them.  

But hey, cheap t-shirts! 

Nope.  Just talking about corporate tax rates.  Keep on fighting the good fight for the rest of us.  I need more new shirts (and probably a pair or two of golf shorts.  I will also need one pair of jeans once fall hits). 

• Haha 1

There is one hell of a lot that I'm not going to defend Amazon on.  I'm not a fan of the company has a whole.

However, this twitter account sometimes tries way too hard to make a point.

Amazon has 1,298,000 employees.  24,000 injuries would be less than 2% of that.

Now, you realize the very minor types of injuries that need to be documented?  If someone pokes their finger with a box cutter, report it.  If someone rolls a cart over their toe, report it....etc.

FYI.....more than 2% of my employees reported some type of injury last year.  I guess I have an injury crisis.

There is plenty of crap to complain about with Amazon.  No need to exaggerate stuff like this.

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

There is one hell of a lot that I'm not going to defend Amazon on.  I'm not a fan of the company has a whole.

Now, you realize the very minor types of injuries that need to be documented?  If someone pokes their finger with a box cutter, report it.  If someone rolls a cart over their toe, report it....etc.

FYI.....more than 2% of my employees reported some type of injury last year.  I guess I have an injury crisis.

There is plenty of crap to complain about with Amazon.  No need to exaggerate stuff like this.

I wouldn't dismiss this quite so quickly. Here's a report linked from the article: https://thesoc.org/amazon-primed-for-pain/

The report shows that Amazon performs poorly when compared within their industry:

Figure1.png

Figure2.png

5 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

They also don't define "serious," unless I missed it. So it could be as minor as any reported injury. 

Having worked in a warehouse, nearly every week I'd get some kind of "injury," whether it was rope burn or being cut by the box baler wire or whatever. Didn't report any of them. 

This seems to be a problem for Sheldon who always puts on a good show accusing others of racism or systemic racism, yet belongs to an all white club.   More hypocrisy in Politics.  Who would have thunk it   Looking forward to this being a week long headline story in the NYT,  WAPO, CNN, MSNBC 

• Plus1 1

52 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

So far she seems to be a pretty respectable Senator at this point.  Not too extreme, but still fighting for non-extreme policies she believes in and that her party believes in.  We could use about 80 more Senators like her, Manchin, Moran, Scott, etc..

• Plus1 2
11 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

So far she seems to be a pretty respectable Senator at this point.  Not too extreme, but still fighting for non-extreme policies she believes in and that her party believes in.  We could use about 80 more Senators like her, Manchin, Moran, Scott, etc..

My view was similar, and we spend time in AZ so I was curious and thought it was an interesting article. 

1 hour ago, DevoHusker said:

Isn't as simple as: she's representing the the slightly center-right electorate of a now purple state?

Democrats frustrate me. Just because you win a state by 10k votes doesn't mean they need to be as far left as Bernie. They need to consolidate the gains, ensure she can win the next election as Arizona turns bluer and bluer. It takes time, play the long game.

• Plus1 3
2 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

Isn't as simple as: she's representing the the slightly center-right electorate of a now purple state?

Democrats frustrate me. Just because you win a state by 10k votes doesn't mean they need to be as far left as Bernie. They need to consolidate the gains, ensure she can win the next election as Arizona turns bluer and bluer. It takes time, play the long game.

I would agree on the makeup of AZ as purple, but would say the population centers are definitely more center-left. The reason it is purple is because of the ruby red rural areas.

2 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

As I said around the time of the election.  The worst thing Democrats could do with now having the President, Senate and House is to all of a sudden think they should push through as liberal agenda that they can dream up.  They won that power because Republicans had a disgusting idiot as President and they supported that.  The country still is somewhere in the middle.  Some places are middle right.  Some are middle left.

If someone would govern from that perspective, maybe they could hold on to power longer.

• Plus1 1
Just now, DevoHusker said:

I would agree on the makeup of AZ as purple, but would say the population centers are definitely more center-left. The reason it is purple is because of the ruby red rural areas.

This is true of every state. Urban areas are left leaning, rural areas are right leaning.

Arizona is still a R+4 state,so it'll be a few more election cycles before it is as solidly blue as Virginia. 

3 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

As I said around the time of the election.  The worst thing Democrats could do with now having the President, Senate and House is to all of a sudden think they should push through as liberal agenda that they can dream up.  They won that power because Republicans had a disgusting idiot as President and they supported that.  The country still is somewhere in the middle.  Some places are middle right.  Some are middle left.

If someone would govern from that perspective, maybe they could hold on to power longer.

You're partially right, however, Republicans have massive built in electoral advantages. Because of this, they can win elections by appealing to their base which is now made up of mostly uneducated whites who harbor deep distrust of what they perceive as elites.

The current PVI of the electoral college is around R+4, and is growing each election cycle. Because of this, let's hypothetically say that Democrats win the popular vote by appealing to the middle, as you suggest, by 3% (5-6 million votes). In this scenario, Democrats would lose the Presidency, House, Senate and the legislatures in every major swing state. 

48 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

One thing I don't get with Democrats... what's the plan after getting rid of the filibuster? 

Republicans are going to control the chamber from 2024 until the 2040s. Why do pundits insist on nuking the only tool Democrats can use? Granted, most of the GOP agenda can be passed via reconciliation, but still, Ds only hope for the next 2 decades is using the filibuster and using it often.