The Democrat Utopia

11 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

I'm guessing Baltimore wasn't the only school district to have bad grades during the pandemic.

I failed more kids this past year than all of my previous years (8 years) combined.

And I teach an “exploratory” class at a pretty respected district in a “well off” part of Nebraska.  My colleagues had a similar experience.

But I’m still glad I don’t teach in Baltimore ;)

21 minutes ago, funhusker said:

I would put 99.9% of the blame here.

You're a teacher, so I won't discount your opinion on it, but I will say that my two older daughters had two different experiences with distant learning. My wife and I felt like we did our part, and one of the girls had a great/reachable/helpful teacher (multiple emails and zooms per day), and the other girl's teacher was awful (MAYBE a couple zooms/emails a week).

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
41 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

41% at a 1.0 GPA or worse. It's a complete failure of local leadership and the parents. Unfortunately, it's not surprising coming out of Baltimore.

Your numbers lack any context. How do Baltimore's numbers compare to other major metro school districts? Because if they are an outlier, you have a point, but if there's lots of other districts with similar issues, then it looks like something much more systemic than just the Baltimore leadership.

14 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

You're a teacher, so I won't discount your opinion on it, but I will say that my two older daughters had two different experiences with distant learning. My wife and I felt like we did our part, and one of the girls had a great/reachable/helpful teacher (multiple emails and zooms per day), and the other girl's teacher was awful (MAYBE a couple zooms/emails a week).

I was talking the split between parents and leadership.

Crappy teachers suck and obviously aren’t limited to Baltimore.  I will say I also sent more emails home this past year than previous years combined.  The one thing all the failing students had in common: I never got responses from parents except for one.  And that one made it obvious I was not to contact her again regarding missing work.

• Plus1 1

7 minutes ago, Redux said:

Uh if this is a real thing, I'm very concerned...

"Dispel Misinformation" is a nice way of saying "Silence those who disagree".  I hope this is a Right Wing overreaction to something simple, but I doubt it.

Looks like it's right-wing overreaction: https://www.allsides.com/story/perspectives-white-house-asks-sms-carriers-help-curb-vaccine-misinformation

The White House and the Democratic National Committee (DNC) dispelled rumors that they are working with cell phone carriers to monitor and fact-check private text messages, after a Politico article Monday said the Biden administration and the DNC were "planning to engage fact-checkers more aggressively and work with SMS carriers to dispel misinformation about vaccines that is sent over social media and text messages." White House and DNC officials reportedly told the Washington Examiner Wednesday that the speculation is false. One of the authors of the Politico article, Natasha Korecki, tweeted clarification, saying, "it’s allied, private groups that are working with SMS carriers – not the White House", and that the groups do not have the ability to read individual texts "aside from the ones they receive themselves." The rumor comes as the White House turns to a more focused approach to vaccinate all Americans against COVID-19 amid the spread of the Delta variant.

• Plus1 1