The Democrat Utopia

54 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Cuomo's gonna get prosecuted, right?

Right?

44 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

One would think so, both on this and the misogyny/sexual allegations. But, he is slimy like Teflon Don, so I am not holding my breath. 

No, the wealthy/powerful are very rarely are held to account in our country. Trump and Cuomo will both get some heat in the press until the narrative moves on and then nothing will actually happen to either of them.

• Plus1 2

I am not a Maher fan, but he’s growing on me.

Blind hatred of America is just as blinkered as blind love. And we Americans should really get some perspective about where we live," Maher began his monologue. "Watching this s--- go down in Afghanistan, I was reminded lately of every conversation I've ever had with an immigrant, almost all of which if we got to really talking, included the notion, ‘Oh, you people have no idea. All you do is b---- about and badmouth your own country, but if you knew about the country I came from, you'd stop s----ing on your own.’"

Last week, the Taliban murdered a comedian," Maher said, referring to Afghan comedian Nazar Mohammad, who was tortured and executed. "A comedian, a thing like that really hits close to home for me. I've had two presidents up my a--. … Neither experience was pleasant, but I never had to worry about being dragged 'til I'm dead behind a Toyota Tacoma. Have a little perspective about the stuff we howl about here." 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
On 8/28/2021 at 8:12 AM, nic said:

I am not a Maher fan, but he’s growing on me.

Blind hatred of America is just as blinkered as blind love. And we Americans should really get some perspective about where we live," Maher began his monologue. "Watching this s--- go down in Afghanistan, I was reminded lately of every conversation I've ever had with an immigrant, almost all of which if we got to really talking, included the notion, ‘Oh, you people have no idea. All you do is b---- about and badmouth your own country, but if you knew about the country I came from, you'd stop s----ing on your own.’"

Last week, the Taliban murdered a comedian," Maher said, referring to Afghan comedian Nazar Mohammad, who was tortured and executed. "A comedian, a thing like that really hits close to home for me. I've had two presidents up my a--. … Neither experience was pleasant, but I never had to worry about being dragged 'til I'm dead behind a Toyota Tacoma. Have a little perspective about the stuff we howl about here." 

So because it's worse other places means we should stop trying to make it better here?

I get it, yes there should be a level of gratitude that the US isn't Afghanistan, Syria, etc. But just because it isn't doesn't mean we should rest on our laurels and stop trying to make things better, because for some, living in the US feels like Afghanistan, it feels like Syria. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1
12 minutes ago, It'sNotAFakeID said:

So because it's worse other places means we should stop trying to make it better here?

I get it, yes there should be a level of gratitude that the US isn't Afghanistan, Syria, etc. But just because it isn't doesn't mean we should rest on our laurels and stop trying to make things better, because for some, living in the US feels like Afghanistan, it feels like Syria. 

Did you say for some living in the US feels like Afghanistan or Syria? I may have misunderstood that, but I would strongly suggest that those folks try living in either place and see what they think. We are about to mentor Afghanistan refugees here in Denver. I will make sure and get their stories about how women and other minorities are treated and report  back to the board. The US isn't perfect, there are always improvements to be made, but the level disdain I hear and see on social media and in the news about the US doesn't make sense. If someone feels like the US is equivalent to Afghanistan or Syria I would like to have a conversation and understand why. 

• Plus1 2
2 minutes ago, nic said:

Did you say for some living in the US feels like Afghanistan or Syria? I may have misunderstood that, but I would strongly suggest that those folks try living in either place and see what they think. We are about to mentor Afghanistan refugees here in Denver. I will make sure and get their stories about how women and other minorities are treated and report  back to the board. The US isn't perfect, there are always improvements to be made, but the level disdain I hear and see on social media and in the news about the US doesn't make sense. If someone feels like the US is equivalent to Afghanistan or Syria I would like to have a conversation and understand why. 

Hyperbole, yes. Should have been clearer what I was trying to say. There are some who face harsh circumstances here in the US. And we're just out here saying, well, hey person who is in an incredibly s#!tty situation none the fault of your own with no relief or respite in site, at least you could have it worse as we proceed to do nothing about helping them. 

That's what I'm trying to say. Just screw those people here who have it bad because others elsewhere have it worse?

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, nic said:

Many pundits always compare current US society to horrible situations.

Mask mandates are Nazi policy.

Walking the streets of Chicago is like walking in Baghdad.

Allowing the pledge is indoctrination like Stalin’s Russia.

Etc…

Im tired of rolling my eyes.  When can we get rid of the far out over-reactions in American politics?  Or is that considered promoting genocide?

2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

:facepalm:  That’s not what the Fed does. 

Yes, that's why they said "re-imagine". As in, let's change what the Fed has historically done. I'm not sure if I agree or disagree with that position, but saying that's not what the Fed does currently misses the point.

23 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Yes, that's why they said "re-imagine". As in, let's change what the Fed has historically done. I'm not sure if I agree or disagree with that position, but saying that's not what the Fed does currently misses the point.

No.....just no.....Look, I'm all for working towards a better world where there is no racism and a protected environment.  However, there are just some parts of our world that aren't about that.  This is one of them. Their job is to help manage our economy from a numbers and financial stand point.  That's it.  That's actually a very tough job and it's a cold hard job that has to deal with simple facts.  Those facts don't have anything to do with race and environment.