The Democrat Utopia

1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

Really?  Just because you've come a long ways on something, doesn't mean it's close to be fully addressed.

How has the exploitative healthcare system been addressed?

Yes, really. I said largely, without getting specific. I would probably agree that our healthcare system is very, very flawed.

Whatever you think about America, the fact is we're trending downward on all sorts of metrics; from public health to infant mortality to education to most glaringly income inequality. It's been roughly a 40 year run through multiple administrations, and it's measured against our fellow First World countries rather than the s#!thole countries. So it's not a perception. It's in the numbers. 

I tell my kids all the time to be grateful they live in our particular town in this particular country at this time in history. And they are. But I'd never pretend that's reason enough not to complain about and then fight for a country that's on such a slippery slope. 

I was born during the Eisenhower administration, and I generally gave the United States the moral high ground until the last few years. It's really stunning how far and how quickly we've fallen. January 6 is pure Rwanda s#!t. 

fwiw.....we haven't largely addressed the racial and class inequities in this country. I'd say we're on a slippery slope heading backwards there, too. 

• Plus1 1

18 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

@B.B. Hemingway

I suppose we should have just had the attitude in the 1880s that there is nothing more we need to do to make black people equal....after all....we have come a long ways to free them.  They are just not grateful.

There were a whole lot of reasons for black people to feel like they weren't being treated equal in 1880. In 2021? We go to the same hospitals to be treated for illness. The same schools to be educated. The same banks to receive loans. The same stores to buy essentials. The same events for entertainment. We can open businesses in the same neighborhoods. We can even marry the same kind of men and women. They can do, quite literally, anything I can do. :dunno

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
16 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

And, their parents pay for it.

Wait till they have to pay for a real lunch by themselves. 

That liberal east coast college may have turned my daughter into a Marxist, but she's been pretty amazing about getting her own jobs, saving money, and paying for her own airline tickets, meals, and partial tuition.

We still pay for the cell phone. Might let that sleeping dog lie a bit longer. 

2 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

There were a whole lot of reasons for black people to feel like they weren't being treated equal in 1880. In 2021? We go to the same hospitals to be treated for illness. The same schools to be educated. The same banks to receive loans. The same stores to by essentials. The same events for entertainment. We can open businesses in the same neighborhoods. We can even marry the same kind of men and women. They can do, quite literally, anything I can do. :dunno

Not sure what to say here, B.B. While you are technically correct, there's still a world of wrong in this assumption. 

For every example you give of what Black people CAN do in this country, there is incontrovertible evidence that it's much harder and in some cases deadlier. 

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Not sure what to say here, B.B. While you are technically correct, there's still a world of wrong in this assumption. 

What's the goal? Because, you're never going to eradicate racism out of every individual. And it certainly isn't exclusive to white people. Tribalism isn't exclusive to

white people either. Individuals of every race are going to make decisions based on some sort of tribalistic beliefs. 

• Plus1 2
1 minute ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

What's the goal? Because, you're never going to eradicate racism out of every individual. And it certainly isn't exclusive to white people. Tribalism isn't exclusive to

white people either. Individuals of every race are going to make decisions based on some sort of tribalistic beliefs. 

It's really hard to see racism when you refuse to see racism. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
11 minutes ago, knapplc said:

It's really hard to see racism when you refuse to see racism. 

I'm not denying racism. I'm saying you're never going to rid the world of it. I don't question racism. I question it's alleged impact, in 2021, on someone's ability to navigate life successfully in America.

• Plus1 2