The Democrat Utopia

I was talking to an employee of mine whose husband went to Berkeley and teaches engineering at a local university. I thought she was very liberal, but she was taking exception to some new company policies. During the conversation, she mentioned how her husband got in huge trouble for using the wrong terminology in an email to students. She said he and others are afraid to say anything anymore. She admitted her and her husband are very liberal, but was also frustrated with how out of control the cancel culture is. It actually made my day to hear that, and gave me a bit of hope. If people on the left are getting sick of this, maybe it will end soon. Not sure what the lesson plan was below, but I am sure the same thing would have happened if he had handed out sheet music which is also deemed racist.

A University of Michigan music professor is facing backlash after showing the 1965 film "Othello" with star Laurence Olivier in blackface, a school official announced.

David Gier, dean of the School of Music, Theatre & Dance, said a new professor will be taking over the class previously taught by Bright Sheng to "allow for a positive learning environment," The American Spectator reports.

"Professor Sheng’s actions do not align with our school’s commitment to anti-racist action, diversity, equity and inclusion," Gier said last week, adding that Sheng has been reported to the Office of Equity, Civil Rights, and Title IX.

• Fire 1

58 minutes ago, nic said:

I was talking to an employee of mine whose husband went to Berkeley and teaches engineering at a local university. I thought she was very liberal, but she was taking exception to some new company policies. During the conversation, she mentioned how her husband got in huge trouble for using the wrong terminology in an email to students. 

I’m interested in hearing more about this if you are able to share.

What kind of policies was she taking exception to?

What was the terminology used in the email?

What kind of huge trouble did he get into?

2 hours ago, Ulty said:

I’m interested in hearing more about this if you are able to share.

What kind of policies was she taking exception to?

What was the terminology used in the email?

What kind of huge trouble did he get into?

Pronouns and easily getting into trouble with misuse.

He used the term 'guys'.  

She didn't elaborate on the punishment. I do not believe he was fired. 

6 minutes ago, nic said:

Pronouns and easily getting into trouble with misuse.

He used the term 'guys'.  

She didn't elaborate on the punishment. I do not believe he was fired. 

Ok thanks. I’m going to make a comment and asks a question, and for context, I investigate harassment and discrimination complaints at a university.

First of all, no one is going to get fired for saying “you guys.” No one would face discipline for that, either. In what kind of scenario would this actually happen?

What kind of policy would mention pronouns and “easily get into trouble with misuse”? If you don’t know for sure (I wouldn’t expect you to know the policies of place where you don’t work), maybe we can discuss a reasonable scenario where someone would face disciplinary action for accidentally misusing a pronoun?

I don’t think it would happen.

3 hours ago, Ulty said:

Ok thanks. I’m going to make a comment and asks a question, and for context, I investigate harassment and discrimination complaints at a university.

First of all, no one is going to get fired for saying “you guys.” No one would face discipline for that, either. In what kind of scenario would this actually happen?

What kind of policy would mention pronouns and “easily get into trouble with misuse”? If you don’t know for sure (I wouldn’t expect you to know the policies of place where you don’t work), maybe we can discuss a reasonable scenario where someone would face disciplinary action for accidentally misusing a pronoun?

I don’t think it would happen.

He did not get fired for writing 'you guys' in an email. He got in trouble. I assume someone who received the email reported it. According to his wife, he is now more tentative with his communication. I am not interested in discussing it since it did not involve me directly. I was just pleasantly surprised to hear her speak out about. 

4 hours ago, nic said:

He did not get fired for writing 'you guys' in an email. He got in trouble. I assume someone who received the email reported it. According to his wife, he is now more tentative with his communication. I am not interested in discussing it since it did not involve me directly. I was just pleasantly surprised to hear her speak out about. 

So we still don’t know what actual policies she is worried about, and we don’t know what “trouble” actually means here.

What we do know is that he said something that was unintentionally offensive to someone else, it was brought to his attention, and now he has adjusted his communication so he does not offend that person anymore.

Is that a bad thing? 

7 hours ago, nic said:

You said your liberal friend was frustrated with "cancel culture."

What was "canceled" here?

• Plus1 1
8 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Yea those two headlines aren't the same. All this bill does is put things like action figures and dolls in the same section rather than seperating them by gender. Because action figures shouldn't just be for boys and dolls shouldn't just be for girls. Doesn't seem that crazy to me.

• Plus1 1

Like instead of "this is the girl toy aisle" and "this is the boy toy aisle" it will just be "this is the toy section". Lots of girls like legos and nerf guns and hot wheels. No need to make them feel like its not a girl toy. Frankly boys like to play with their sisters doll houses as well but thats not a boys toy. 

• Plus1 1
10 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Yea those two headlines aren't the same. All this bill does is put things like action figures and dolls in the same section rather than seperating them by gender. Because action figures shouldn't just be for boys and dolls shouldn't just be for girls. Doesn't seem that crazy to me.

That needs mandated by the government?  Strange but ok:dunno

• Plus1 1