The Democrat Utopia

2 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

One of the key problems: There are elite computer science departments that graduate larger numbers of African-American and Hispanic students, but they are not the ones where leading companies recruit employees. Stanford, UC-Berkeley, Carnegie Mellon, UCLA and MIT are among the most popular for recruiting by tech companies, according to researchby Wired magazine.

2 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

This guy gets it.  The tech companies aren’t racist.  What they are is comfortable recruiting from a select few programs because they have had success with that talent pool.  Wall Street does the same thing.  

the crazy part is outside of Princeton and maybe Columbia, an Ivy League educating isn’t any better than many top public universities.  What students pay for isn’t the education at Ivy League , it’s more so the alumni networking.  Those Ivy graduate programs are what sets them apart.  More companies should realize this similar to Intel (shown in the article) 

I mean, how many UNL graduates are getting jobs offers in Silicon Valley?  Not too many out of the gates  I suspect.  Is that because of racism? Or that Silicon Valley doesn’t think too highly of UNL?  

Tech companies aren't racist? I've worked at several tech companies and they've got some problems with racism just like every other company.

https://www.shrm.org/resourcesandtools/hr-topics/behavioral-competencies/global-and-cultural-effectiveness/pages/black-tech-employees-continue-to-face-workplace-racism.aspx

https://www.protocol.com/nda-racism-equality-diversity-tech

https://www.latimes.com/business/technology/story/2020-06-24/diversity-in-tech-tech-workers-tell-their-story

But even if what you're saying were true, that's a single industry out of hundreds.

Dorian Abbott (University of Chicago) has now had lectures at MIT and Berkley cancelled for his opinions. Write up below. 

https://bariweiss.substack.com/p/mit-abandons-its-mission-and-me

...But it looks like someone from Berkley is standing up for him. Resigning in fact. Worth a quick read.

The backlash against getting cancelled for your opinions/beliefs is building in the academic world.

I often wondered when professors from certain Universities would chuck tenure out the window and move where they feel more comfortable. 

• Thanks 1
26 minutes ago, nic said:

Dorian Abbott (University of Chicago) has now had lectures at MIT and Berkley cancelled for his opinions. Write up below. 

...But it looks like someone from Berkley is standing up for him. Resigning in fact. Worth a quick read.

The backlash against getting cancelled for your opinions/beliefs is building in the academic world.

I often wondered when professors from certain Universities would chuck tenure out the window and move where they feel more comfortable. 

What does this have to do with Democrats?

• Plus1 1
8 hours ago, knapplc said:

What does this have to do with Democrats?

I suspect the students that protested this professor are progressive Democrats. 
Doesn’t the cancel culture environment in our universities come from the liberal progressives? That is my perception. 

If the professor's account is to be believed as being accurate or close to it, it's really a shame. 

The ideological left is certainly not doing itself any favors in the current climate of their inability to harmoniously co-exist with some innocuous beliefs they don't share.

7 hours ago, nic said:

Doesn’t the cancel culture environment in our universities come from the liberal progressives? That is my perception. 

I thought cancel culture at universities came from conservatives. Pretty sure UNL did the same canceling to William Ayers and Michael Moore. Weird, huh?

• Oh Yeah! 1
17 hours ago, nic said:

So I dove in and read a bunch of the additional links that this guy offered up in this article. I don't have time to give a lengthy analysis like I did with that Virginia dad a few pages back, but I encourage others to read through this professor's position and read the "supporting" links.

My thoughts are that this is a geophysics professor that started writing op-eds ranting against DEI initiatives, without providing evidence to support his claims or specifying what was actually going wrong at his institution. He is an intelligent, tenured scientist, meaning he will have several peer reviewed publications in his field. Why did he eschew data and evidence in his writings? In his Newsweek op-ed, he barely takes time to set up a flimsy strawman and then goes on for paragraphs about the dangers of DEI programs. To me, this is a very stupid move, and should be embarrassing for him.

I read a couple other things he wrote where he also didn't provide evidence to support his position. From a scientific/academic/research perspective alone, he should be called out. He is way outside of his lane, and while he certainly has a right to his opinion, I would assume that his institution has an admissions office, a DEI office, a legal office, an affirmative action plan, and folks who have actually done research in the social areas that he is trying to dabble in here. He should raise his concerns with the colleagues who manage those functions and seek intellectual answers before unleashing his half-cocked opinions.

However, I also believe that the statement meant to denounce him, signed by a bunch of students and colleagues, was an overreaction and also did not fully explain the harm and stupidity of the professor's actions. In academia, students make these sorts of statements along with a list of often unfeasible demands all the time. These statements are often dumb and while perhaps their heart is in the right place, are not conducive to creating a productive dialogue about the issues. 

I tend to think everyone involved is jumping to conclusions that have not been completely founded (including my Huskerboard brethren in this thread). I wouldn't call it cancel culture (can someone define what that actually means, anyway?), but it is more of a call and response action resulting from the professor intentionally stepping in a pile of $h!t without thinking it through.

• Thanks 2
6 hours ago, knapplc said:

I thought cancel culture at universities came from conservatives. Pretty sure UNL did the same canceling to William Ayers and Michael Moore. Weird, huh?

Can't tell if this is sarcasm or not, but it's not the 60's or 2004 anymore. 

5 hours ago, Ulty said:

I wouldn't call it cancel culture (can someone define what that actually means, anyway?)

It's often a red herring argument anytime someone gets punished for something legitimate, but not always. When the bad and alarming version of it happens, it's a social media mob using social pressure to ostracize a person or business from social or professional opportunities based on having the wrong opinion, whether that opinion has anything to do with what they're being canceled from.

• Plus1 1

14 hours ago, nic said:

Crying about "cancel culture" is getting tiresome.  Crying about it being from one side or the other is even more tiresome.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 2
6 hours ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

No. Stand your ground Netflix....

So... the protest against Dave Chappelle is going about as well as we all expected...

(NSFW language at the end - my apologies)

They literally tore his sign off the pole, then yelled "he's got a weapon" about the empty sign stick.

You would think this was staged, it's so goofy.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2
13 hours ago, knapplc said:

Conservatives college students exist? I suggest instead of protesting just don’t show up if you will be offended or better yet go politely listen to an alternative viewpoint. 

• Plus1 1