The Democrat Utopia

12 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

I will try hard not to.  Just trying to figure out when the standards change with you. 

It's really not that big of a deal. I wasn't even accusing you of anything, just pointing out that it's a convenient argument to make because it's not provable. If that's also the case with my somewhat anecdotal personal perception of the political makeup of colleges....okay.

Happy to talk about it more, have my loose assessment proven wrong or offer more insight into why I think the way I do.

27 minutes ago, Lorewarn said:

It's really not that big of a deal. I wasn't even accusing you of anything, just pointing out that it's a convenient argument to make because it's not provable. If that's also the case with my somewhat anecdotal personal perception of the political makeup of colleges....okay.

Happy to talk about it more, have my loose assessment proven wrong or offer more insight into why I think the way I do.

I actually happen to agree with your college/university assessment.  I’m fine with the verbiage you used.  Just wasn’t fine with the orecious snark call out when you do the same thing in your posts.  

back on topic, I think you are right.  State universities, small NAIA NCAA DII type schools don’t seem to be a problem.  It’s more the Liberal Arts colleges and Elite Universities that seems to have quite the slant.  

• Plus1 1
On 10/20/2021 at 6:41 AM, Ulty said:

...cancel culture  (can someone define what that actually means, anyway?)

Not a definition but an example. Dave Chappelle and his "Closer" show on Netflix are under fire. Employees of Netflix (and others) were offended by his routine and wanted his show taken off the air. I read this show earned 95% approval from the audience on Rotten Tomatoes, but if a few are offended they want it cancelled. How about they don't watch it and criticize it, but why cancel it? Below is a video from Bill Maher's show discussing this topic. 

https://youtu.be/WAUUgxQPwM0

• Plus1 1

14 hours ago, nic said:

Not a definition but an example. Dave Chappelle and his "Closer" show on Netflix are under fire. Employees of Netflix (and others) were offended by his routine and wanted his show taken off the air. I read this show earned 95% approval from the audience on Rotten Tomatoes, but if a few are offended they want it cancelled. How about they don't watch it and criticize it, but why cancel it? Below is a video from Bill Maher's show discussing this topic. 

https://youtu.be/WAUUgxQPwM0

Should the opinions of the people protesting be cancelled?

• Plus1 1
8 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Should the opinions of the people protesting be cancelled?

No. Why would they be? They were not ignored, unless I missed something. People should also be able to disagree with that criticism. The Netflix CEO backed the show at first, then issued an apology for backing it. We will see if it survives or if he caves in. It should be based on how the show does and whether that is how he wants to do business. Netflix puts out lots of controversial shows, that both sides have protested.

• Plus1 1

I have only read a little bit about this person. Sounds as if he was an advocate for indigenous peoples rights when the Spanish occupied California. Maybe his statue was torn down because he tried to convert people to Catholicism. It sounds like parks are being renamed too. I also wonder if the protesters were Native Americans.

https://www.dailynews.com/?returnUrl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.dailynews.com%2F2020%2F06%2F20%2Fprotesters-in-l-a-topple-statue-of-junipero-serra-who-helped-colonize-california%2F%3FclearUserState%3Dtrue

I also heard a statue of Thomas Jefferson was recently removed from a NY courthouse. I am not sure who decides what historical figures to go after, but if they were given free reign, what all would come down and be renamed? As Bill Maher said, The Land of Lincoln cancels Lincoln is like an Onion headline.

• Plus1 2
10 hours ago, nic said:

No. Why would they be? They were not ignored, unless I missed something. People should also be able to disagree with that criticism. The Netflix CEO backed the show at first, then issued an apology for backing it. We will see if it survives or if he caves in. It should be based on how the show does and whether that is how he wants to do business. Netflix puts out lots of controversial shows, that both sides have protested.

The opinions I have read seem to criticize the protesters thinking they are out of line and trying to cancel the show...thus....cancel culture.  If the protesters are not out of line, then what is the basis for claiming this is cancel culture?  The CEO can make decisions for his company how ever he sees fit.

If you go back to the 50s, there were LOTS of opinions about inappropriate content on TV.  A couple couldn't even be shown in a double bed together, they had to have twin beds.  So, was that all cancel culture too?

Or, is it just something new that if you think something is inappropriate for TV that it's "cancel culture"?

• Plus1 1

12 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

The opinions I have read seem to criticize the protesters thinking they are out of line and trying to cancel the show...thus....cancel culture.  If the protesters are not out of line, then what is the basis for claiming this is cancel culture?  The CEO can make decisions for his company how ever he sees fit.

If you go back to the 50s, there were LOTS of opinions about inappropriate content on TV.  A couple couldn't even be shown in a double bed together, they had to have twin beds.  So, was that all cancel culture too?

Or, is it just something new that if you think something is inappropriate for TV that it's "cancel culture"?

We might be close to agreeing. Let the market decide and if you don’t like it shut it off. The slight difference is that in the example you brought up they were pushing beyond the norm. For comedians now, it is restricting what they can say and joke about.

19 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

:laughpound

So, anytime someone thinks a show should be cancelled it’s cancel culture. 

the whole outrage over cancel culture is nothing more than Republicans trying to come up with something to get their base worked up.  Society has been making decisions based on what is appropriate and what isn’t ever since Adam and Eve were frolicking in the garden. 

25 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

No. But we certainly are able to make fun of their whiney baby behavior.  Dave is doing what comedians do and making fun of people.  

Yep….you have all the freedom to do that. 

• Plus1 2