The Democrat Utopia

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

Not good for the Ds.

I have no clue how to post a picture of the graph from this site.

Yeah, they're going to lose to a party that doesn't even bother to put forward a legislative agenda or party platform anymore. Simply promoting the MAGA-verse is enough. 

To be fair to Ds though, elections are going to be bad for them for quite awhile. We're looking at prolonged minority party rule for 2 decades. 

• Plus1 2

Nearly a quarter of college students wouldn't be friends with someone who voted for the other presidential candidate — with Democrats far more likely to dismiss people than Republicans — according to new Generation Lab/Axios polling.

Why it matters: Partisan divides — as each side inhabits parallel political, cultural and media universes —make a future of discord and distrust in the U.S. all the more likely.

https://www.axios.com/poll-political-polarization-students-a31e9888-9987-4715-9a2e-b5c448ed3e5a.html

• Plus1 2
4 minutes ago, nic said:

Nearly a quarter of college students wouldn't be friends with someone who voted for the other presidential candidate — with Democrats far more likely to dismiss people than Republicans — according to new Generation Lab/Axios polling.

Why it matters: Partisan divides — as each side inhabits parallel political, cultural and media universes —make a future of discord and distrust in the U.S. all the more likely.

https://www.axios.com/poll-political-polarization-students-a31e9888-9987-4715-9a2e-b5c448ed3e5a.html

How would you reach out to those across the aisle from you? 

6 hours ago, nic said:

I admit that I cut off several friends and family after 2016.

Not because they were conservative, but because they championed a douchebag and embraced some very ugly positions about immigration, race, and values American leaders should possess.  Far more than politics.

One of my best friends is a devout Republican.  He has worked on GOP staffs. He will never vote for a Dem.  But he also refused to vote for Trump.  

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, teachercd said:

Yeah, if you are a college kid and the reason your are not being friends with someone is because of their political party...you either picked a lame college or you are a tool. 

They aren't being friends not because of party, but because that person believes morals and ethics that align to their own beliefs matter. 

If someone I knew at school (or at work today) stood behind the politicians who advocate for issues that go against my morals, I work with them but I'm not their friend.   Someone who doesn't believe those who worship differently or have a skin tone different than their own should have the same rights and respect, someone who thinks that a woman should have her body and choices controlled by government, someone who thinks that people should have limits on who they love and how they live, someone who thinks that more guns equals more patriotism, someone who thinks that healthcare isn't a right for all etc. doesn't align to my morals.  Sadly right now that aligns directly to political parties.

I think innately we gravitate toward people who think similarly, so unless/until someone's views shift dramatically (and I have had a number of friends who got very religious or got involved with groups that influenced them to think differently than they did at 18) I don't think this probably happens a lot at that age.  If someone is bright blue or bright red at college age they tend to stick with it and surround themselves with the same.  

And Knapp the answer is to listen and seek to understand.  We do such a poor job of this, even as adults, and college age kids are worse.   

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 2
8 hours ago, knapplc said:

How would you reach out to those across the aisle from you? 

Treat people based on the content of their character. Avoid politics unless they ask. Find common ground. 

Some of my liberal friends have been very hateful and outright militant recently. Doesn’t make me want to hang out with them. Some are just fine and still respectful. No way to talk politics though. They get angry.

One of the biggest irritations from my right wing friends was all the conspiracy theory crap. If I refute it they would shut down the conversation and move on. When the election stuff came up my usual response was “prove it”. Avoid taking politics on this side and all is good.

My biggest concern and campuses is free speech getting shut down. Conservative speakers and groups getting shut out. It seems like campus are becoming very one sided, but I am not personally on campus to witness it. I will have a couple kids going off to college over the next few years. It will be interesting. 

• Plus1 3

31 minutes ago, nic said:

Treat people based on the content of their character. Avoid politics unless they ask. Find common ground. 

Some of my liberal friends have been very hateful and outright militant recently. Doesn’t make me want to hang out with them. Some are just fine and still respectful. No way to talk politics though. They get angry.

One of the biggest irritations from my right wing friends was all the conspiracy theory crap. If I refute it they would shut down the conversation and move on. When the election stuff came up my usual response was “prove it”. Avoid taking politics on this side and all is good.

My biggest concern and campuses is free speech getting shut down. Conservative speakers and groups getting shut out. It seems like campus are becoming very one sided, but I am not personally on campus to witness it. I will have a couple kids going off to college over the next few years. It will be interesting. 

If I disassociated with people who I don't agree with, I would be a very lonely person.  Crap...maybe that's the problem.

It doesn't matter what type of group I'm in.  If I'm in a group of very conservative people, I find myself thinking I must be the most liberal person in the world.  If I'm in a group of people very liberal people, I feel like I'm one of the most conservative people in the world.  

I've realized that I just have issues with people/opinions that are extremely strong no matter what direction they are.  

So....I find myself just not talking about politics....other than with my Friday afternoon club...which are mostly MAGA heads.  But, we are good enough friends that we can rib each other and it doesn't affect our friendships.  Discussions have been pretty heated though the last 5 years.

But, in public when people make political comments, I just tend to be quiet.  I know.....that's hard to believe.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, NM11046 said:

They aren't being friends not because of party, but because that person believes morals and ethics that align to their own beliefs matter. 

If someone I knew at school (or at work today) stood behind the politicians who advocate for issues that go against my morals, I work with them but I'm not their friend.   Someone who doesn't believe those who worship differently or have a skin tone different than their own should have the same rights and respect, someone who thinks that a woman should have her body and choices controlled by government, someone who thinks that people should have limits on who they love and how they live, someone who thinks that more guns equals more patriotism, someone who thinks that healthcare isn't a right for all etc. doesn't align to my morals.  Sadly right now that aligns directly to political parties.

I think innately we gravitate toward people who think similarly, so unless/until someone's views shift dramatically (and I have had a number of friends who got very religious or got involved with groups that influenced them to think differently than they did at 18) I don't think this probably happens a lot at that age.  If someone is bright blue or bright red at college age they tend to stick with it and surround themselves with the same.  

And Knapp the answer is to listen and seek to understand.  We do such a poor job of this, even as adults, and college age kids are worse.   

I get what you are saying but If you are in college and trying to talk about healthcare reform...you won't have to worry about screening your friends.  

7 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

If I disassociated with people who I don't agree with, I would be a very lonely person.  Crap...maybe that's the problem.

It doesn't matter what type of group I'm in.  If I'm in a group of very conservative people, I find myself thinking I must be the most liberal person in the world.  If I'm in a group of people very liberal people, I feel like I'm one of the most conservative people in the world.  

I've realized that I just have issues with people/opinions that are extremely strong no matter what direction they are.  

So....I find myself just not talking about politics....other than with my Friday afternoon club...which are mostly MAGA heads.  But, we are good enough friends that we can rib each other and it doesn't affect our friendships.  Discussions have been pretty heated though the last 5 years.

But, in public when people make political comments, I just tend to be quiet.  I know.....that's hard to believe.

This is called "being normal" it is was 99% of us do and why 99% of us have friends and don't freak out on people.

One of my golfing friends made fun of me for not liking guns, somehow I was able to overcome that hateful day and still golf with him.

I am totally pro choice and my friends that are against that are still my friends.  Then again, when I miss a 3 footer on the green they don't yell out "baby killer!"

• Plus1 1