The Democrat Utopia

6 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

I’m under the impression those folks aren’t being detained anymore and are free until their asylum/immigration hearings.  

And  if NY needs fed money fine.  Give them the money they need.  

They are housed and cared for until dates are set and other background checks are completed. I think on the federal dime.  

But yeah, after that I think they’re free to go until court dates.

I can see NY needing some money since a person who planned to meet family near the Southern border will be basically “homeless” until they can get transportation from “NYC to Abilene.” (Sounds like an old country song)

• Plus1 1

26 minutes ago, funhusker said:

They are housed and cared for until dates are set and other background checks are completed. I think on the federal dime.  

But yeah, after that I think they’re free to go until court dates.

I can see NY needing some money since a person who planned to meet family near the Southern border will be basically “homeless” until they can get transportation from “NYC to Abilene.” (Sounds like an old country song)

The people being bused to NYC are being done so on their own free will.  We also don’t actually know this to be true in those cases…. “a person who planned to meet family near the southern border”.  

• Plus1 1
12 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

The people being bused to NYC are being done so on their own free will.  We also don’t actually know this to be true in those cases…. “a person who planned to meet family near the southern border”.  

If true, that’s good.  Then NY can deal with it.

2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

I don't know who Justin Wolfers is.  But, that's a pretty stupid tweet.  I'm assuming he's talking about the increase in inflation.  Not, inflation itself.  But who knows.

https://www.bls.gov/news.release/archives/cpi_08102022.htm#:~:text=There were some indexes that,for the period ending June.

The Consumer Price Index for All Urban Consumers (CPI-U) was unchanged in July on a seasonally
adjusted basis after rising 1.3 percent in June, the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics reported today.
Over the last 12 months, the all items index increased 8.5 percent before seasonal adjustment.

Here's his actual tweet posted again here since I missed this was going on in this thread.  Interesting that only a screenshot was included in a post above since he explains all of this in the thread.  

So it really wasn't a stupid tweet if you read it in the context of the thread.  BTW can you explain the difference between inflation and the rate of inflation?  Isn't the inflation rate just the measurement of inflation?  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
40 minutes ago, Scarlet said:

https://www.bls.gov/news.release/archives/cpi_08102022.htm#:~:text=There were some indexes that,for the period ending June.

Here's his actual tweet posted again here since I missed this was going on in this thread.  Interesting that only a screenshot was included in a post above since he explains all of this in the thread.  

So it really wasn't a stupid tweet if you read it in the context of the thread.  BTW can you explain the difference between inflation and the rate of inflation?  Isn't the inflation rate just the measurement of inflation?  

I don’t know if there is a capital I Inflation which means exactly “year over year inflation.”

But the 8.5% is inflation year over year.

The 0% is month over month. Which means the rate of increase was 0%. We’re holding steady to what we had in June. Inflation did not get worse but also didn’t get better. 

Let’s say hot dogs cost $2 in June and July of 2021. Then in June of 2022 they were $4 which is 100% inflation. Then in July of 2022 they were still $4. We are still at 100% inflation from 12 months ago, but the rate of increase is 0.

At least… I think that’s how it works :P

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, Moiraine said:

I don’t know if there is a capital I Inflation which means exactly “year over year inflation.”

But the 8.5% is inflation year over year.

The 0% is month over month. Which means the rate of increase was 0%. We’re holding steady to what we had in June. Inflation did not get worse but also didn’t get better. 

Let’s say hot dogs cost $2 in June and July of 2021. Then in June of 2022 they were $4 which is 100% inflation. Then in July of 2022 they were still $4. We are still at 100% inflation from 12 months ago, but the rate of increase is 0.

At least… I think that’s how it works :P

Yes, I believe that's where this guy is misleading.

59 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Yes, I believe that's where this guy is misleading.

How is it misleading to say that there was zero inflation last month, when last month, the Consumer Price Index showed zero inflation for last month? 

How is it misleading when in the thread he started he goes on to explain that while this is good news, inflation year over year is still at 8.5% but down from 9.1%  

There's nothing in his tweet that was misleading.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Scarlet said:

How is it misleading to say that there was zero inflation last month, when last month, the Consumer Price Index showed zero inflation for last month? 

How is it misleading when in the thread he started he goes on to explain that while this is good news, inflation year over year is still at 8.5% but down from 9.1%  

There's nothing in his tweet that was misleading.

Because. That’s not the normal way people think about in  the nation.  It’s usually considered as year over year unless stated otherwise. 

He claims inflation is zero. But, it’s really 8.5% over last year. 

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

Because. That’s not the normal way people think about in  the nation.  It’s usually considered as year over year unless stated otherwise. 

He claims inflation is zero. But, it’s really 8.5% over last year. 

@Scarlet  I agree with BRB. If everyone thinks of Inflation as year over year, then to say "Holy cow. There was ZERO inflation last month" is either misleading or he's ignorant of how 99% of people talk about the topic. He should have said something like "Holy cow. Inflation finally didn't increase MoM."

• Plus1 2
13 hours ago, Moiraine said:

@Scarlet  I agree with BRB. If everyone thinks of Inflation as year over year, then to say "Holy cow. There was ZERO inflation last month" is either misleading or he's ignorant of how 99% of people talk about the topic. He should have said something like "Holy cow. Inflation finally didn't increase MoM."

The Dow and the Fed were smart enough to understand what "zero inflation last month" meant especially when the tweet that triggered the right-wing rage farmers was followed by an explanation of month over month vs year over year.  Obviously this is a moment in time and things could change but it's good news.  

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnbc.com/amp/2022/08/10/dow-futures-inch-higher-after-wednesdays-market-rally.html

Investor sentiment got a boost when the July producer price index showed a surprise decline from June. PPI dropped 0.5%, compared to an estimate of a 0.2% gain, according to a Dow Jones survey. The PPI reading excluding food and energy rose less than expected.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2022/08/10/business/economy/july-inflation-biden-fed.amp.html

The slower price increases are also likely to reassure the Federal Reserve, which has been waiting for any sign that inflation is starting to moderate.

3 hours ago, Scarlet said:

The Dow and the Fed were smart enough to understand what "zero inflation last month" meant especially when the tweet that triggered the right-wing rage farmers was followed by an explanation of month over month vs year over year.  Obviously this is a moment in time and things could change but it's good news.  

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnbc.com/amp/2022/08/10/dow-futures-inch-higher-after-wednesdays-market-rally.html

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2022/08/10/business/economy/july-inflation-biden-fed.amp.html

They’d be pretty s#!tty at their jobs/trading if they didn’t know what it meant. That doesn’t make the tweet is not misleading. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1