The Democrat Utopia

I remember when my daughter was younger, maybe 5 or 6, and wanted to go as Moana on Halloween. Around that time, people started posting about avoiding Halloween costumes that could be considered cultural appropriation. (I had to look up what that even meant)  At the same time, a friend of my wife had commented how wonderful it was that little girls admired the Moana character because it was a great story that empowered women. We let our little girl dress as Moana despite being Polynesian. At the Halloween event, she befriended a little black girl dressed as Wonder Women and a Hispanic girl dressed as Elsa from frozen while in line waiting for an event. I thought that was awesome and took a picture. :D

The University of Wisconsin-Madison has a webpage dedicated to "Halloween cultural awareness" which states that students should avoid "racist, crude, or culturally insensitive" costumes.

"When somebody adopts aspects of a culture that’s not their own, it is often viewed as disrespectful when cultural elements are copied from a marginalized culture by members of the dominant culture and used outside of their cultural context," the webpage states.

The University of Wisconsin-Madison said even pop star Katy Perry is guilty of cultural appropriation as "several" of her music videos appropriate other cultures and use "stereotyped costumes." UW-Madison did not specify which music videos culturally appropriate, however. 

• Plus1 2
3 hours ago, NebraskaHarry said:

Hard to tell if this had any Republican influence. It is San Fransisco. We'll see I suppose.

Welp, try to give the a smidge of benefit of the doubt to Republicans until more information comes out, and it's not looking good. The Republican Party embraces crazy and you get crazy people doing stuff like this.

• Plus1 2

4 minutes ago, nic said:

I remember when my daughter was younger, maybe 5 or 6, and wanted to go as Moana on Halloween. Around that time, people started posting about avoiding Halloween costumes that could be considered cultural appropriation. (I had to look up what that even meant)  At the same time, a friend of my wife had commented how wonderful it was that little girls admired the Moana character because it was a great story that empowered women. We let our little girl dress as Moana despite being Polynesian. At the Halloween event, she befriended a little black girl dressed as Wonder Women and a Hispanic girl dressed as Elsa from frozen while in line waiting for an event. I thought that was awesome and took a picture. :D

The University of Wisconsin-Madison has a webpage dedicated to "Halloween cultural awareness" which states that students should avoid "racist, crude, or culturally insensitive" costumes.

"When somebody adopts aspects of a culture that’s not their own, it is often viewed as disrespectful when cultural elements are copied from a marginalized culture by members of the dominant culture and used outside of their cultural context," the webpage states.

The University of Wisconsin-Madison said even pop star Katy Perry is guilty of cultural appropriation as "several" of her music videos appropriate other cultures and use "stereotyped costumes." UW-Madison did not specify which music videos culturally appropriate, however. 

This is something that drives me crazy.  Just because you dress as a character of another race, doesn't make your costume racist.  This was an issue with me a few years ago when the whole "black face" thing was going around...where politicians were being scrutinized because a picture surfaced of them in college dressed as a black person with their faces painted black.  What a load of BS.

So.....If I wanted to go this year as Obama....that's racist just because he's black and I'm not?  WTF???  Why?  When Obama was in office, I have a very liberal friend who went as Obama with a mask he bought.  Why would that not be racist, but me painting my face black to do the same thing is?

I'm sensitive to racism.  But, this type of that just leaves me scratching my head.

21 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

This is something that drives me crazy.  Just because you dress as a character of another race, doesn't make your costume racist.  This was an issue with me a few years ago when the whole "black face" thing was going around...where politicians were being scrutinized because a picture surfaced of them in college dressed as a black person with their faces painted black.  What a load of BS.

So.....If I wanted to go this year as Obama....that's racist just because he's black and I'm not?  WTF???  Why?  When Obama was in office, I have a very liberal friend who went as Obama with a mask he bought.  Why would that not be racist, but me painting my face black to do the same thing is?

I'm sensitive to racism.  But, this type of that just leaves me scratching my head.

Obama is a great role model so as long as the portrayal was respectful I would not have a problem with. Blackface would probably make me uncomfortable. 

On 10/29/2022 at 12:49 PM, nic said:

Obama is a great role model so as long as the portrayal was respectful I would not have a problem with. Blackface would probably make me uncomfortable. 

Ok…..why?   One situation I paint my face black.  The other I have a black faced mask.  If I’m acting exactly the same, in a respectful manor, why is one racist and the other isn’t?

20 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Ok…..why?   One situation I paint my face black.  The other I have a black faced mask.  If I’m acting exactly the same, in a respectful manor, why is one racist and the other isn’t?

Historical context. Black face has been used for decades with very strong racism attached. I get that you may not mean to be offensive but many know the context and not your intentions.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Historical context. Black face has been used for decades with very strong racism attached. I get that you may not mean to be offensive but many know the context and not your intentions.

Exactly. It's possible wearing white sheets is really comfy, but I'm never going to find out. 

• Plus1 1

On 10/28/2022 at 3:41 PM, nic said:

I remember when I was 5 or 6 and I realized that the rules and recommendations for adults and for little kids are different.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2