The Democrat Utopia

12 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I don't disagree with that, but it makes me curious why this thing was written, now, in today's political climate. 

Is Farrakhan a current problem?

I'm perfectly capable of discussing what has been wrong on both sides of American politics in the past while still keeping an eye on what is going on in this very disturbing administration.

Edited by BigRedBuster

Cool. I wasn't questioning your ability to do that. I know you can walk & chew gum at the same time. :D

I haven't read the article and aside from these drive-by questions in the short time I have to check back here, I don't know what's going on with that.  That's why I'm asking if Farrakhan is a current problem. 

8 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Cool. I wasn't questioning your ability to do that. I know you can walk & chew gum at the same time. :D

I haven't read the article and aside from these drive-by questions in the short time I have to check back here, I don't know what's going on with that.  That's why I'm asking if Farrakhan is a current problem. 

I haven't heard Farrakhan's name for quite a while. However, I hadn't heard David Duke's name for quite a while either until Trump's campaign.

I believe two of the politicians who are pictured meeting with Farrakhan are still in Washington (Maxine Waters and Al Green).

• Plus1 1
  • 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Dunno if he's running this year. But this makes a racist Democrat (or at best, an ignorant buffoon) and a racist Republican nominee both in Chicago.

And holy s*** look at this map of another district in Chicago. This was drawn in 1993 so I don't know who it benefited but it's effing ridiculous.

Cong%20Dist%204_0.jpg

Edited by Moiraine
  • Plus1 1
  • 3 weeks later...

What's bad about this is the use of the language of the anti-harrassment movement (are you familiar with the #TimesUp hashtag?) to express political differences.

I don't know that much about Feinstein, frankly. From what I do know I'm probably more inclined to support her opponent. And to be clear her opponent's supporters are not uniform in this tactic, but it's an ugly one. Feinstein is not someone who committed sexual assault or harassment and is now being justifiably outed on those grounds*. Nor is she comparable to one. The reason this is bad is not the injury to Feinstein, it's the way in which #MeToo has been co-opted and trivialized. IMO, #MeToo is an area where there's a great deal of inadequacy on the left, and this seems like an example of that. 

*I mean, maybe she is --- but AFAIK, this is largely about her "militarism" and deference to the security state; at least, if Glenn Greenwald's characterization is reliable. It isn't always.

10 minutes ago, zoogs said:

What's bad about this is the use of the language of the anti-harrassment movement (are you familiar with the #TimesUp hashtag?) to express political differences.

I don't know that much about Feinstein, frankly. From what I do know I'm probably more inclined to support her opponent. And to be clear her opponent's supporters are not uniform in this tactic, but it's an ugly one. Feinstein is not someone who committed sexual assault or harassment and is now being justifiably outed on those grounds*. Nor is she comparable to one. The reason this is bad is not the injury to Feinstein, it's the way in which #MeToo has been co-opted and trivialized. IMO, #MeToo is an area where there's a great deal of inadequacy on the left, and this seems like an example of that. 

*I mean, maybe she is --- but AFAIK, this is largely about her "militarism" and deference to the security state; at least, if Glenn Greenwald's characterization is reliable. It isn't always.

I've heard of #MeToo but never #TimesUp, but I see what you're saying. I'm parsing semantics here, but I'd classify this as "distasteful" and not really "bad"- it can be an ugly side of politics but it is what it is. And at least from my perspective, Feinstein is a big part of the establishment and money in politics, which is why I'd vote her out moreso than Greenwald's arguments.

• Plus1 1