The Democrat Utopia

8 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Even though it seems like the Republican Party is the only one with idiots, contrary to popular belief, they don’t have a monopoly on it. 

Im fine with pointing out idiots on both sides. 

There's no shortage of idiots on either side. I personally lean moderately libertarian and there are majorly cringeworthy folks within those ranks too. Being an ideologue itself contributes to the idiocy, not many I can listen to for very long without shaking my head at their break with reality 

6 hours ago, Danimal said:

There's no shortage of idiots on either side. I personally lean moderately libertarian and there are majorly cringeworthy folks within those ranks too. Being an ideologue itself contributes to the idiocy, not many I can listen to for very long without shaking my head at their break with reality 

QFT

Very random, related to the Warren Pocahontas stuff.

Maybe her parents and grandparents made it all up.

But, my mom discovered about 20 years ago that she is 1/32 African. Warren claims to be 1/32 Native American.

My mom looks like Warren as far as her Caucasian-ness goes. My mom just took a DNA test that confirms she's 1/32 Nigerian, which confirms the genealogy. (I never doubted it anyway - she was contacted by cousins living on the Carribean island where that ancestor was from).

So back to the point - Warren doesn't look Native American but if her parents and grandparents said she was, there's nothing about her that says she isn't. That said, if I was running for election I wouldn't tell everyone I'm part Black. It would make me look like I'm desperate for votes.

Edited by Moiraine

It is not such an uncommon thing to have apocryphal legends about family genealogy passed down generation to generation. One thing it certainly is not is Warren's fault. This is right up there with the birther stuff about Obama -- an ugly attack, sadly effective*, and we lose for even engaging in the discussion.

*during all the Obama years I don't think it ever truly sunk in for me just how real the "Kenyan Muslim B. Hussein Obama" stuff was. You hear about it, you see it lampooned almost everywhere, you chuckle about it and then you forget it because after all, look who won the election. Trump winning was a startling jerk to reality. And also, now you don't see it ridiculed in every decent forum because the f'ing President of the United States himself is the guy saying it. Which means not only does he command the prestige of the office with his megaphone, but the respectable outlets fall into the trap of covering the stupid s#!t he says like it's a topic that should be treated with gravitas.

11 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Very random, related to the Warren Pocahontas stuff.

Maybe her parents and grandparents made it all up.

But, my mom discovered about 20 years ago that she is 1/32 African. Warren claims to be 1/32 Native American.

My mom looks like Warren as far as her Caucasian-ness goes. My mom just took a DNA test that confirms she's 1/32 Nigerian, which confirms the genealogy. (I never doubted it anyway - she was contacted by cousins living on the Carribean island where that ancestor was from).

So back to the point - Warren doesn't look Native American but if her parents and grandparents said she was, there's nothing about her that says she isn't. That said, if I was running for election I wouldn't tell everyone I'm part Black. It would make me look like I'm desperate for votes.

I have a similar story (but in an opposite way)

When I was young, I overheard my grandmother say her mother was Cherokee.  I spent my youth believing, and claiming in some instances, that I was 1/8 Cherokee.  When I was filling out financial aid paperwork my senior year, I asked my Mom if I should check the box for "Native American" because of Great Grandma. 

My mom started laughing so hard, she about pissed her pants!

Turns out my great grandmother was 100% from Ireland, but had dark hair and a darker complexion compared to the rest of the family.  Calling her Cherokee was a long running joke that I wasn't aware of........

• Plus1 2

6 minutes ago, zoogs said:

It is not such an uncommon thing to have apocryphal legends about family genealogy passed down generation to generation. One thing it certainly is not is Warren's fault. This is right up there with the birther stuff about Obama -- an ugly attack, sadly effective*, and we lose for even engaging in the discussion.

*during all the Obama years I don't think it ever truly sunk in for me just how real the "Kenyan Muslim B. Hussein Obama" stuff was. You hear about it, you see it lampooned almost everywhere, you chuckle about it and then you forget it because after all, look who won the election. Trump winning was a startling jerk to reality. And also, now you don't see it ridiculed in every decent forum because the f'ing President of the United States himself is the guy saying it. Which means not only does he command the prestige of the office with his megaphone, but the respectable outlets fall into the trap of covering the stupid s#!t he says like it's a topic that should be treated with gravitas.

It's an awful joke but nowhere on the level with the stuff about Obama. Warren is accused of pretending to be a different race. Obama is accused of pretending to be American because he's the "wrong" race.

5 minutes ago, funhusker said:

I have a similar story (but in an opposite way)

When I was young, I overheard my grandmother say her mother was Cherokee.  I spent my youth believing, and claiming in some instances, that I was 1/8 Cherokee.  When I was filling out financial aid paperwork my senior year, I asked my Mom if I should check the box for "Native American" because of Great Grandma. 

My mom started laughing so hard, she about pissed her pants!

Turns out my great grandmother was 100% from Ireland, but had dark hair and a darker complexion compared to the rest of the family.  Calling her Cherokee was a long running joke that I wasn't aware of........

Nice, heh.

• Plus1 1

4 hours ago, RedDenver said:

Lamb leads by about 500 votes, so a recount is VERY likely.

Likely, but not a sure thing:

Under state law, a mandatory recount is triggered when a candidate for a state race wins by half of a percentage point. But Pennsylvania Secretary of State Wanda Murren told Fox News the race would not have a mandatory recount because this race is for a federal office.

Supporters of both candidates, though, can petition for one. Under state law, three voters in each precinct must petition for a recount and petitions must be filed five days after each county completes its tally.

Likely going to happen, but there's a chance that it may not.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/03/14/pennsylvania-special-election-may-see-recount-lamb-saccone-locked-in-razor-thin-fight.html

And when was the last time a re-count actually changed the winner?  I'm sure it's happened, but I can't think of one.

Edited by sho
37 minutes ago, sho said:

Likely, but not a sure thing:

Likely going to happen, but there's a chance that it may not.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/03/14/pennsylvania-special-election-may-see-recount-lamb-saccone-locked-in-razor-thin-fight.html

And when was the last time a re-count actually changed the winner?  I'm sure it's happened, but I can't think of one.

I didn't realize that there aren't automatic recounts at that level in Pennsylvania; in further reading it sounds like there probably won't be a recount as it's not going to change the outcome.

24 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I'm trying to be unbiased and probably failing.

I thought it looked kind of bad based on those 2 tweets.

But she looks like a teenager in the photo. She's an adult woman. 24 years old. The illustrator is Mike Pence's wife. And the book is titled:

A Day in the Life of the Vice President

She's not just writing some random children's book. She's writing one about her dad. She'll be making $ off this book because her dad's the vice president and the book is about the vice president (I'm assuming through the eyes of a little bunny) and if you're gay in America (or pretty much any group that has been disparaged or hurt by Trump's admin) I can see why this attempt at making Mike Pence seem like such a nice adorable man would be pretty damn annoying.

BOTUS (Bunny of the United States)—is a national celebrity! With his appearances at official White House events, his rides on Air Force 2, and his popular Instagram account, Marlon Bundo has become a beloved member of the Trump-Pence administration.

Edited by Moiraine
  • Plus1 3