The Democrat Utopia

6 hours ago, knapplc said:

It's also possible to refer to people by their preferred pronouns. It's easy. You have to try to do it wrong.

Actually it is very confusing. I was reading an article on Demi Lavato coming out as non-binary. I didn't know what that meant, so I wanted to read the article. the author started using plural pronouns like ‘they’ and ‘them’. I thought I missed something while reading the article, so I started the paragraph over again. Then I realized the author was still talking about a single person and thought, “what a terrible writer”. I kept reading, and author kept doing it and I finally figured out it was intentional. That is actually really frustrating to change the definition of a pronoun that has been around forever. It would be better to make up a new one.

As far as the original post, I can see how this it frustrating for women. There is a HS girl in new England that lost out on a lot of state and regional sprint championships because of transgender participation. I doubt hormone levels are measured at the HS level like they do for the Olympics, and she was losing races by 20 meters. No records for her. No accolades for second place. I know I would feel cheated.

10 minutes ago, nic said:

Actually it is very confusing. I was reading an article on Demi Lavato coming out as non-binary. I didn't know what that meant, so I wanted to read the article. the author started using plural pronouns like ‘they’ and ‘them’. I thought I missed something while reading the article, so I started the paragraph over again. Then I realized the author was still talking about a single person and thought, “what a terrible writer”. I kept reading, and author kept doing it and I finally figured out it was intentional. That is actually really frustrating to change the definition of a pronoun that has been around forever. It would be better to make up a new one.

It just takes a little education and self-growth.

If people can learn the basic concepts of football enough to watch a game, they can figure this out.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, knapplc said:

It just takes a little education and self-growth.

If people can learn the basic concepts of football enough to watch a game, they can figure this out.

Old Dog, New Tricks. I don't man. I would prefer to keep the ponouns we have as is and just add new ones. The English language is bad enough. Speaking of which....what are the new pronouns in Russia, China, and Arabic speaking countries? I assume Europe has them figured out. 

17 minutes ago, nic said:

Old Dog, New Tricks. I don't man. I would prefer to keep the ponouns we have as is and just add new ones. The English language is bad enough. Speaking of which....what are the new pronouns in Russia, China, and Arabic speaking countries? I assume Europe has them figured out. 

China doesn't concern themselves with the ridiculous sideshows like the leaders/population of this country insists on doing. They're too busy innovating, and pursuing things that matter.

Edit: And before this post gets put in the spin cycle, this is not an endorsement of how China treats their people.

• Plus1 1

This is hard?

Me: excuse me, sir?

person: I’m a woman.

Me: I’m so sorry, mam!

person: no worries, what can I help you with?

The fact that people want to make an issue about what others want to be called is kind of strange.

Who cares?

My comment is about the “pronoun” conversation, not athletic competitions.

• Plus1 1
13 hours ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

At some point, all this goes too far, right?

Uggg, I lost money on this fight.  I bet on the she.

16 minutes ago, funhusker said:

Not to mention the fact that fans have been using “we” instead of “they” for a long time.

If we’re going to get anal about use of pronouns…

I love getting anal

• Oh Yeah! 1

23 minutes ago, funhusker said:

This is hard?

Me: excuse me, sir?

person: I’m a woman.

Me: I’m so sorry, mam!

person: no worries, what can I help you with?

The fact that people want to make an issue about what others want to be called is kind of strange.

Who cares?

My comment is about the “pronoun” conversation, not athletic competitions.

It's not that it's hard to do, it's just that it makes no sense. Biologically, or in any other way. Also, it opens the door to a lot more nonsense, as @Archy1221 brought up earlier. As a society, we're allowing non-existing lines to be blurred. If you want to me to call you a different name, I will, but I'm not going to pretend you're a different sex just because you want me to.

• Plus1 2
11 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

It's not that it's hard to do, it's just that it makes no sense. Biologically, or in any other way. Also, it opens the door to a lot more nonsense, as @Archy1221 brought up earlier. As a society, we're allowing non-existing lines to be blurred. If you want to me to call you a different name, I will, but I'm not going to pretend you're a different sex just because you want me to.

You would say “prove it” to the person in my example?

Thats weird!

To make things even simpler, just use names!

Its all the rage at school now to ask pronoun preference.  If I’m not sure, I just call them by name. (See what I did here?)

”Jordan is correct because ‘Jordan’ did the homework…”

No need to make anyone feel awkward.  Including me!

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Obviously not. Aside from that, men and women are almost always discernible from one another.

Have you been in public lately :lol:

My kids thought their PE teacher was a Mr. for K-2nd grade.  She’s married and with kids!

Kidding aside: you’re right.  It’s like 1 in 100 people you’d have to worry about.  Which makes it even sillier to say it’s a big problem causing mass confusion.

• Plus1 1