The Democrat Utopia

2 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

If they wanted it, they would've included it in the bi-partisan infrastructure bill. But they don't. 

It's why they immediately pivoted away with the rhetoric that "leave isn't infrastructure" and whatever other nonsense they were spewing a few months ago.

I genuinely hope that, in the future, Republicans actually want to pass leave because Democrats would vote for that bill tomorrow. But if there were any Republican votes, it would've happened for everybody already. 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Dr. Strangelove said:
1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

If they wanted it, they would've included it in the bi-partisan infrastructure bill. But they don't. 

1). What does family leave have to do with infrastructure?  Why can’t it be it’s own bill?

2) by this logic then I guess Dems don’t want it or they would not have dropped it.  

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
49 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

1). What does family leave have to do with infrastructure?  Why can’t it be it’s own bill?

2) by this logic then I guess Dems don’t want it or they would not have dropped it.  

I mean, if both parties want it, why does a label matter? They can call it the Bill for Space Exploration and include paid family leave. I don't think the designation matters, if you want it just do it. 

Dems do want it, but two Senators one of which from a deeply Red state, killed it. It's a shame that the actions of two Democratic Senators not helping people has turned into "see Democrats don't want it" when 48 Senators Representing the majority of Americans (as well as enjoying popular support in the 80% range) approve of it.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

if republicans really wanted it why didn't they do it when they had complete control?  they managed to get a supreme court nominee selected in just a few days when they had the opportunity and the power to do so.   

17 hours ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

It's primarily Manchin, with his insinuation that Billionaires create jobs. Obviously Senator Sinema is responsible for pairing down the bill as well, such as the government negotiating drug prices.

Most find her strange: Manchin can say and do what he wants, there's nothing Democrats can do about it. Senator Sinema can be primaried easily in a state turning more and more blue. Her political calculus is pretty strange.

But let's not forget the 50 Republicans that don't support paid family leave, money for climate change, or money to expand Medicare to cover other services. All of this proposals are extremely popular. They're responsible as well. 

I roll my eyes at people outraged because a politician steps away from the party for a vote.  It's like they think every politician should just tote the party line no matter what.  If this is the case, why do they all have to be in Washington to vote?  Just let the ruling party put a bill together, and automatically call that it's voted in.

Democrats don't like Manchin because he isn't following the party, but they cheer on John McCain when he did it.

Republicans cheer on Manchin when he's doing it, but hate McCain when he did it.

• Oh Yeah! 1
2 hours ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

It's a shame that the actions of two Democratic Senators not helping people has turned into "see Democrats don't want it" when 48 Senators Representing the majority of Americans (as well as enjoying popular support in the 80% range) approve of it.

I’m just using your logic that you posted earlier.  

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, commando said:

if republicans really wanted it why didn't they do it when they had complete control?  they managed to get a supreme court nominee selected in just a few days when they had the opportunity and the power to do so.   

I don’t know the answer to that.  Trump put it in his 2018 budget though I believe.  

So let me ask you, if Dems really wanted it, why didn’t they do it when they had a Super Majority and absolute control?  

• Plus1 1
Just now, Archy1221 said:

I don’t know the answer to that.  Trump put it in his 2018 budget though I believe.  

So let me ask you, if Dems really wanted it, why didn’t they do it when they had a Super Majority and absolute control?  

when did they have super majority?  it's been awhile.  not last year.

30 minutes ago, commando said:

things change in 10 years.    but what does obama have to do with all republicans voting against it this year?

He doesn’t have anything to do with it.  You want to know why Repubs didn’t pass it four years ago and I asked why Dems didn’t pass it when they had an even bigger majority. 

• Plus1 1
9 hours ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

Nothing exemplifies modern conservatism more than the faux-outrage white parents have for CRT.

Add a dash of anti-intellectualism, a splash of xenophobia, top it off with a nice sprinkle of feeling victimized. Be careful not to add any critical thinking (or even a shred of understanding) and WHAM, you have a modern conservative. 

It's not just white folks that protest it. I have seen comments at school board meetings from Asians, Blacks and Latinos. I saw some of Condoleezza Rice on The View and reaction to it. Of course she is now deemed a white supremist. This is playing out in the Virginia Governor race in a few days and in school board elections across the country. I guess we will see how the voters decide. It will be interesting to see if both gubernatorial candidates in Virginia keep their pledge not to contest the election since that has become a thing in the last decade.

• Plus1 2