The Democrat Utopia

2 minutes ago, NM11046 said:

I'd say "politics" didn't come up often in college but issues like opinions on gay marriage, women's right to choose, racial issues and etc all did.  And it did matter to me.  Those are things that in my opinion define a person's character.

Some of us stayed friendly - I had a conversation in 2016 with my sophomore roomies (who are both now crazy churchy) about how I could understand abortion rights being an issue they care about, but how do you overlook all the other character flaws the GOP candidate came with?  For one, him making fun of handicapped people and his insults against women (amoung other things) swayed her to vote for Clinton even though she is adamently pro life and the other said that she hated the those same things but the abortion issue was the only thing that motivates her to vote - character didn't matter as long as abortion was not supported (super interesting as she actually had one that year - find it fascinating that she was opposed to others having that same right - just because you regret yours doesn't mean it shouldn't be allowed).  

Was interesting to see them debate as the core of their beliefs were so similar yet they were both very opinionated about their vote.  Today one is full out MAGA (wouldn't surprise me if she was in DC 1/6) and the other is just less engaged.

This is a way better response.  

Basically you are saying what all of us are saying.  You meet new people, some you like right away some you just don't like for whatever reason.  

You hang out more and more with those people that you like and as time goes on, you realize you either have a ton in common or very little.  Then the friendship either grows or fades.  

A totally normal timeline of friendship.  

• Plus1 1

4 minutes ago, knapplc said:

@nic 

Sorry if you missed this earlier. What college are you talking about that bans conservative speech?

So I have seen this pop up as well, this idea that colleges are super liberal and ban or almost ban conversative speech.  I have never understand it.

There also seems to be an idea floating around that most Profs are super liberal but it just doesn't make sense to me.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, teachercd said:

So I have seen this pop up as well, this idea that colleges are super liberal and ban or almost ban conversative speech.  I have never understand it.

There also seems to be an idea floating around that most Profs are super liberal but it just doesn't make sense to me.

It's because today's world views any sort of historical review including identifying good and bad as well as any attempt to get folks to see the other side of something is a liberal tactic. 

If you limit the exposure to new ways of thinking and new more diverse experiences then a young person will just follow the lead of their folks instead of forming their own ideas and opinions.

• Plus1 1

2 minutes ago, NM11046 said:

It's because today's world views any sort of historical review including identifying good and bad as well as any attempt to get folks to see the other side of something is a liberal tactic. 

If you limit the exposure to new ways of thinking and new more diverse experiences then a young person will just follow the lead of their folks instead of forming their own ideas and opinions.

Yeah, you might be right!

Change = Bad, seems to be what a lot of people think.

• Plus1 2
48 minutes ago, knapplc said:

What college campus doesn't allow conservative speech? 

There are plenty of examples of speaker engagements getting cancelled or moved for “safety” concerns. Lots of protests of speakers that are perfectly ok with me as long as they are peaceful. The problem is some of them succeed. There is a recent example of a conservative group that wasn’t allowed to have a booth at an event. I have posted some of these examples in the past. I am not going to take the time to dig them up again because it will not change anyone’s mind. 

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 2
  • Fire 1
2 minutes ago, nic said:

There are plenty of examples of speaker engagements getting cancelled or moved for “safety” concerns. Lots of protests of speakers that are perfectly ok with me as long as they are peaceful. The problem is some of them succeed. There is a recent example of a conservative group that wasn’t allowed to have a booth at an event. I have posted some of these examples in the past. I am not going to take the time to dig them up again because it will not change anyone’s mind. 

You said you have relatives at campus who have experienced this. I'm just asking which campus you're talking about in this post:

1 hour ago, nic said:

I hope you are right, but I have examples from relatives who say otherwise. Relatives that are students on campuses. It is still a small sample size.

land yes, Lots in the news about speakers who have been protested and end up removed or moved. 

• Plus1 1

12 hours ago, nic said:

Nearly a quarter of college students wouldn't be friends with someone who voted for the other presidential candidate — with Democrats far more likely to dismiss people than Republicans — according to new Generation Lab/Axios polling.

Why it matters: Partisan divides — as each side inhabits parallel political, cultural and media universes —make a future of discord and distrust in the U.S. all the more likely.

https://www.axios.com/poll-political-polarization-students-a31e9888-9987-4715-9a2e-b5c448ed3e5a.html

It's kinda interesting that an article feigning concern about divisiveness chose to lead with "nearly a quarter of college students wouldn't be friends with someone who voted for the other presidential candidate, as opposed to leading with the equally true statement that "more than 75% of college students would be friends with someone who voted for the other presidential candidate." 

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

It's kinda interesting that an article feigning concern about divisiveness chose to lead with "nearly a quarter of college students wouldn't be friends with someone who voted for the other presidential candidate, as opposed to leading with the equally true statement that "more than 75% of college students would be friends with someone who voted for the other presidential candidate." 

Or "100% of college dudes say that don't care about the politics of a girl as long as that girl will hangout with them"

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 3

Honestly, I have no trouble with the perception that colleges lean liberal, or that professors and students who voice conservative viewpoints face higher levels of ostracism. 

There are billions of examples of this. Some radical left professors make news and lose jobs over radical statements and curricula, but if you throw out the extremes American campus of higher education are hotbeds of intellectual curiosity and historical context, and that is usually going to skew into liberal circles.

I have many conservative friends, and still count some of them as the most loyal friends in my life. I don't think I cut anyone off until two of them went deep into QAnon, and could only speak in loud angry exclamation points about things that made zero sense. 

And I think that's why we have this problem now. If a group of conservative college students want to bring a speaker to a University hosted event, is it a George Will, Charles Krauthammer, or Thomas Sowell?  Or is it Ann Coulter, Milo Yiannopoulos, D'nesh D'Souza, or Ben Shapiro?  Or God forbid, high profile elected Republicans like Marjorie Taylor Greene, Matt Gaetz, or Madison Cawthorn?  Is the University obliged to provide "equal time" to points of view that are both horribly ill-informed and willfully dangerous, even if they're increasingly common?  

If your liberal friends seem angrier than ever, that's because the insane viewpoints of a political minority are affecting our lives like never before. Knowing a friend voted for Trump twice does influence my view of them. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Honestly, I have no trouble with the perception that colleges lean liberal, or that professors and students who voice conservative viewpoints face higher levels of ostracism. 

There are billions of examples of this. Some radical left professors make news and lose jobs over radical statements and curricula, but if you throw out the extremes American campus of higher education are hotbeds of intellectual curiosity and historical context, and that is usually going to skew into liberal circles.

Yeah this isn't a controversial take at all for me. It's one thing to believe or strawman that universities are gestapo-led progressive woke fantasy lands that have rules in place to shut down any conservative opinion or ideology at any time. It's another to understand that the real world is a lot more subtle than that, and academia does absolutely skew left, and the conservative censorship is primarily one of selection bias and social pressure from a dominant group onto a smaller one.

Stereotypes can exist for a good reason, or they can be caricatures of reality. 

What's great is, @nic knows a campus or campuses where this is actually happening, so we can get some solid proof of the problem. It's always best to talk about something from an informed perspective.

I, for one, can't wait to find out which campus(es) is/are shutting down conservative speech from an unimpeachable source.