The Democrat Utopia

1 hour ago, knapplc said:

So, @nic what campus(es) are you talking about where your relative(s) have experienced constraints on conservative speech?

Friend (ex military) UCCS. Relative: UNC I believe. She transferred to another university with similar group think as her. :D

• Fire 2

1 minute ago, nic said:

Friend (ex military) UCCS. Relative: UNC I believe. She transferred to another university with similar group think as her. :D

Now we're getting somewhere!  What, exactly, happened?

And so we're clear:

UCCS - University of Colorado Colorado Springs

UNC - ??? University of North Carolina?  University of Northern Colorado?

I'm really curious to know how/when they shut down conservatives. 

39 minutes ago, knapplc said:

And so we're clear:

I think "shut down" is an inflated term that doesn't necessarily reflect the bias. 

I mean, it should surprise no one that UC Berkeley canceled appearances by Milo and Coulter citing the safety of students, as fists actually were thrown by partisans. Conservatives have been vastly outnumbered by liberals in these student showdowns, and you do wonder if conservatives prefer getting shut down as it  makes their case for victimhood so well. 

Other biases are much more subtle, and I don't know many people who would deny a university bias towards liberal thought. 

My daughter goes to a private East Coast college where liberals may find themselves hectored by full-fledged Marxists. I don't think even a moderate conservative would feel comfortable there, and I do know a girl who transferred for that reason. Likewise, you go to Liberty, or Brigham Young, or Texas A&M if you lean conservative and don't want to feel outnumbered. 

The more interesting question for me is how far a university should go to promote diversity of ideas, if the ideology is anti-science, anti-history, anti-fact and antithetical to higher education. 

• Plus1 2
14 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I think "shut down" is an inflated term that doesn't necessarily reflect the bias. 

I think you're speaking in general terms. It seems @nic was speaking in specific terms of specific instances from people he knows when he said this:

6 hours ago, nic said:

My biggest concern and campuses is free speech getting shut down. Conservative speakers and groups getting shut out. It seems like campus are becoming very one sided, but I am not personally on campus to witness it. I will have a couple kids going off to college over the next few years. It will be interesting. 

Apparently this is happening to or witnessed by a friend of his at "UCCS" and a relative at "UNC." 

I'm interested in knowing about these instances. 

30 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I mean, it should surprise no one that UC Berkeley canceled appearances by Milo and Coulter citing the safety of students, as fists actually were thrown by partisans. Conservatives have been vastly outnumbered by liberals in these student showdowns, and you do wonder if conservatives prefer getting shut down as it  makes their case for victimhood so well. 

Other biases are much more subtle, and I don't know many people who would deny a university bias towards liberal thought. 

My daughter goes to a private East Coast college where liberals may find themselves hectored by full-fledged Marxists. I don't think even a moderate conservative would feel comfortable there, and I do know a girl who transferred for that reason. Likewise, you go to Liberty, or Brigham Young, or Texas A&M if you lean conservative and don't want to feel outnumbered. 

The more interesting question for me is how far a university should go to promote diversity of ideas, if the ideology is anti-science, anti-history, anti-fact and antithetical to higher education. 

As a east coaster I'm very curious where she goes ...

1 hour ago, knapplc said:

And so we're clear:

I think I will see both of these people over The Holidays. One for sure. If I think of it, I will ask for more details just to satisfy your curiosity. My niece recently graduated, so it’s been a few years since her encounter which involved a gender argument with students and a professor. For my friend,  I do not remember the topic, but there was debate between him and a professor that took place in a lecture hall in front of the class followed by a confrontation from the professor after class. 

I get the feeling however that getting you more info is a waste of time because you do not want to believe it. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
3 minutes ago, nic said:

I think I will see both of these people over The Holidays. One for sure. If I think of it, I will ask for more details just to satisfy your curiosity. My niece recently graduated, so it’s been a few years since her encounter which involved a gender argument with students and a professor. For my friend,  I do not remember the topic, but there was debate between him and a professor that took place in a lecture hall in front of the class followed by a confrontation from the professor after class. 

I get the feeling however that getting you more info is a waste of time because you do not want to believe it. 

I don't understand the last sentence. That's really uncalled for. I'm trying to have a conversation with you and you lob grenades like that.

2 hours ago, knapplc said:

Stereotypes can exist for a good reason, or they can be caricatures of reality. 

What's great is, @nic knows a campus or campuses where this is actually happening, so we can get some solid proof of the problem. It's always best to talk about something from an informed perspective.

I, for one, can't wait to find out which campus(es) is/are shutting down conservative speech from an unimpeachable source. 

I'll take your word that you were genuinely interested in Nic's personal experience, but I read this post as dripping with snark. 

• Plus1 2

1 minute ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I'll take your word that you were genuinely interested in Nic's personal experience, but I read this post as dripping with snark. 

I can't help you there. I've clearly been politely asking genuine questions about real-world situations @nic has knowledge of.

1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Very well stated. I do remember the Coulter and Milo incidents and wondered if these invites were done knowing that there would be protests that had a high probability of canceling the event. ....Then run to Fox with the story for a week of news cycles.

• Plus1 2
35 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I don't understand the last sentence. That's really uncalled for. I'm trying to have a conversation with you and you lob grenades like that.

Sorry but I don’t want to divulge names and classes now that I mentioned the universities. I have been down this road before with someone on this board where more answers just led to more detailed questions. I believe their premise was that I was lying, or the people who told me about their encounters were lying, and they were just going to keep up the conversation like a trial lawyer. I work, so I don’t have much time to immediately answer questions and it gets tiresome. I have no reason to believe that the people were lying to me about these two situations. I think that spending time refreshing the details for you really doesn’t have a purpose, because I do not think you will believe it anyway.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
2 minutes ago, nic said:

Sorry but I don’t want to divulge names and classes now that I mentioned the universities. I have been down this road before with someone on this board where more answers just led to more detailed questions. I believe their premise was that I was lying, or the people who told me about their encounters were lying, and they were just going to keep up the conversation like a trial lawyer. I work, so I don’t have much time to immediately answer questions and it gets tiresome. I have no reason to believe that the people were lying to me about these two situations. I think that spending time refreshing the details for you really doesn’t have a purpose, because I do not think you will believe it anyway.

Well, again, you're just flaming me here and I don't understand why.  You brought it up.

It really seems like you're trying to start an argument rather than have a real discussion.