The Democrat Utopia

4 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Why?  What if I go buy a 500,000 house and can’t afford the payments?  Why is that different than going to school for 4 years, not getting a job to help pay and not figuring out how to live cheap…..then expecting it all forgiven and someone else pay for it?

You got that right, yeah!

• Oh Yeah! 1

1 hour ago, teachercd said:

I would even say that an alternative could/should be tot make trade school free (or at least like the first 75% of it free) and let kids start while they are in HS.

Facts...plumbers, welders, electricians, carperetneres, machinists, mechanics...they are not going away...

I’ve made my thoughts known on this before.

Kids should have the option after sophomore year to either choose a “university” route or a “trades” route.  When they graduate after Senior year they either have a certification in a trade or their gen Ed’s are done towards a college degree

With the current workforce situation we’re in, it’s insane that free trade school isn’t part of the infrastructure build.

Folks are really going to hate the price of home repairs in a few short years, if not already!

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
6 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Why?  What if I go buy a 500,000 house and can’t afford the payments?  Why is that different than going to school for 4 years, not getting a job to help pay and not figuring out how to live cheap…..then expecting it all forgiven and someone else pay for it?

One big difference is you can file for bankruptcy if you buy a house and can't make payments. Student loans stay with you forever. It's very difficult to have them discharged via bankruptcy. 

That being said, I'm not in favor of blanket forgiveness. I think it's politically toxic to implement and the costs are high. Although I am in favor of expanding forgiveness programs if students work a certain number of years, or for 0% interest loans for students in certain income levels. 

• Plus1 2
6 hours ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

One big difference is you can file for bankruptcy if you buy a house and can't make payments. Student loans stay with you forever. It's very difficult to have them discharged via bankruptcy. 

That being said, I'm not in favor of blanket forgiveness. I think it's politically toxic to implement and the costs are high. Although I am in favor of expanding forgiveness programs if students work a certain number of years, or for 0% interest loans for students in certain income levels. 

I’m fine with some form of assistance such as interest forgiveness in certain situations. 

1 hour ago, knapplc said:

The third one from the right (Da Bomb) isn't even food. It's truly awful.

Do you use any of the really hot ones for anything at all?

I never have.  I do usee Nashville Hot Chicken spice and it seems really hot (to me) before it is cooked in...then it is just full of flavor.

Sidenote...I got trader joe's coffee garlic rub and will be trying itt today.

14 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Do you use any of the really hot ones for anything at all?

I never have.  I do usee Nashville Hot Chicken spice and it seems really hot (to me) before it is cooked in...then it is just full of flavor.

Sidenote...I got trader joe's coffee garlic rub and will be trying itt today.

I eat Los Calientes (the middle one) on a lot of things. The only other ones I've tried are Da Bomb & The Last Dab XXX. I can stand The Last Dab. We pull out Da Bomb for a joke whenever new people come over. We stick a toothpick in it and burn our mouths for half an hour.

• Haha 1
2 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I eat Los Calientes (the middle one) on a lot of things. The only other ones I've tried are Da Bomb & The Last Dab XXX. I can stand The Last Dab. We pull out Da Bomb for a joke whenever new people come over. We stick a toothpick in it and burn our mouths for half an hour.

Cool, I will try it.  Thanks!

I hate spicy if it is just hot...but I do like it when it has flavor.

17 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Cool, I will try it.  Thanks!

I hate spicy if it is just hot...but I do like it when it has flavor.

The Last Dab is insanely hot but has good flavor. Da Bomb is basically just capsaicin with no redeeming qualities. If you watch Hot Ones everyone's reaction to it is pretty funny.

Los Calientes has a good kick but has great flavor. It actually adds something to your dish. 

Just now, knapplc said:

The Last Dab is insanely hot but has good flavor. Da Bomb is basically just capsaicin with no redeeming qualities. If you watch Hot Ones everyone's reaction to it is pretty funny.

Los Calientes has a good kick but has great flavor. It actually adds something to your dish. 

That is what I am looking for! Great flavor with the kick.

On 12/24/2021 at 7:09 PM, admo said:

Yeah, or go the junior college route, get associate, then to a university. 

Or just get smart growing up.  Both of my brother's kids got academic scholarships - 4 years full ride.  The oldest daughter will graduate this year at Texas State with a nursing degree before she turns 22 in August.  She already been working in hospital killing it $$$.  Now considering TCU for her masters.  The younger daughter is a 19yr old sophomore at Texas. She the smartest among the fam.

Or be good in sports.  I had lots of scholarship offers in baseball but signed pro out of HS when got drafted instead.   After 7 years in the minors, having to retire from a bean ball, I eventually went to college.  It took me 6 years to get my associates degree lol.  But I was working and of course, financially set.

Still, the jury is in and the verdict is that college tuition has increased well beyond what it can deliver. More graduates face a crippling debt that in no way reflects the salaries they can expect in their first years of employment. 

Regardless of what the government does, there's going to be a shake-up in the education market. 

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, knapplc said:

While in Breckenridge last summer, I bought some 12 Gauge from a guy at a farmers market that grows jus own peppers and makes it. Turns out he grew up in Nebraska and was a big husker fan.  It was a habanero mango. Pretty dang good with a kick.  Just had it yesterday in a bowl of gumbo.  

• Plus1 1
18 hours ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

This. Learn a trade. Start a business.

I think there's a big shift in that direction. Much less stigma among the white collar and middle class about sending kids to trade schools and community colleges. 

I also think you have to lay a significant portion of the 2008 credit crisis on people who bought homes they couldn't afford. Mortgage brokers were pushing dangerously attractive ARMS --- like every salesman does -- but consumers needed to exercise personal caution -- like they always do. 

$200,000 worth of college tuition is going to be a bad bet more often than not if you're borrowing money for it. 

• Plus1 3
1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

While in Breckenridge last summer, I bought some 12 Gauge from a guy at a farmers market that grows jus own peppers and makes it. Turns out he grew up in Nebraska and was a big husker fan.  It was a habanero mango. Pretty dang good with a kick.  Just had it yesterday in a bowl of gumbo.  

That would be Gage Lemmers, the son of my old Omaha buddy.

• Plus1 1