The Democrat Utopia

5 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I think there's a big shift in that direction. Much less stigma among the white collar and middle class about sending kids to trade schools and community colleges. 

I also think you have to lay a significant portion of the 2008 credit crisis on people who bought homes they couldn't afford. Mortgage brokers were pushing dangerously attractive ARMS --- like every salesman does -- but consumers needed to exercise personal caution -- like they always do. 

$200,000 worth of college tuition is going to be a bad bet more often than not if you're borrowing money for it. 

I'm not sure folks are too eager for the kind of physical labor required of some of those careers, however.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

While in Breckenridge last summer, I bought some 12 Gauge from a guy at a farmers market that grows jus own peppers and makes it. Turns out he grew up in Nebraska and was a big husker fan.  It was a habanero mango. Pretty dang good with a kick.  Just had it yesterday in a bowl of gumbo.  

6 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

That would be Gage Lemmers, the son of my old Omaha buddy.

6 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Cool.  I enjoyed talking to him and his hot sauce is really good. 

This is the smallest of worlds.

1 hour ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

I'm not sure folks are too eager for the kind of physical labor required of some of those careers, however.

Folks are amazingly capable of this kind of work. But most Americans don't teach their kids that this is a goal.

The kind of people who are, today, willing to do this kind of work are trying to enter our borders right now. It's just that they're the wrong color for most of the folks in my above sentence.

• Plus1 3
Just now, knapplc said:

Folks are amazingly capable of this kind of work. But most Americans don't teach their kids that this is a goal.

The kind of people who are, today, willing to do this kind of work are trying to enter our borders right now. It's just that they're the wrong color for most of the folks in my above sentence.

A lot of the people who allegedly want to keep those willing workers out at the border are also willing/in those lines of work. As I've mentioned here multiple times, the Hispanic culture aligns with our blue collar values pretty closely here in America. They'll blend in seamlessly if allowed, and already have to a large extent.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

14 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

A lot of the people who allegedly want to keep those willing workers out at the border are also willing/in those lines of work. As I've mentioned here multiple times, the Hispanic culture aligns with our blue collar values pretty closely here in America. They'll blend in seamlessly if allowed, and already have to a large extent.

A lot of the people allegedly willing to let those willing workers in vote Republican. So...   ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Plus1 3
40 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Entering the country without breaking the law would be a great start for all involved.

Eliminating stupid laws would be an even better start. My ancestors walked off a boat from Europe and were granted citizenship. They entered the workforce, took English classes at night, and became productive citizens. 

Maybe we should stop voting for people who want to build walls and start voting for people who want unskilled labor to become American  citizens.

• Plus1 5
10 hours ago, knapplc said:

Eliminating stupid laws would be an even better start. My ancestors walked off a boat from Europe and were granted citizenship. They entered the workforce, took English classes at night, and became productive citizens. 

Maybe we should stop voting for people who want to build walls and start voting for people who want unskilled labor to become American  citizens.

A mass migration of unskilled workers might make you feel good, but it brings on it's own set of problems. There's nothing wrong with a secured border, and enforcing reasonable border laws. There's no doubt that many Hispanics are hard working people, looking to build a better life for their families, but like other races, there are plenty of them here only to take advantage of our ridiculously generous welfare system, with no real intentions of being productive members of society.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 2
  • Fire 1
10 hours ago, knapplc said:

There is also the fact that business owners benefit from keeping part of their labor force illegal. Low wages and no benefits for seasonal and often year round workers, who can't complain or organize because of their compromised status. As B.B. mentioned, it's not like there's a reliable supply of U.S. citizens willing to take on those jobs, either.

It's a funny dance for big agribusiness. Much of ownership leans conservative, but they can't go full-throated against immigration because they're both the magnet and the beneficiary. I believe Devin Nunes got caught in this trap when his family's big dairy operation relocated from California to Iowa in an attempt to hide its dependence on illegal workers. 

• Plus1 2

10 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

A mass migration of unskilled workers might make you feel good, but it brings on it's own set of problems. There's nothing wrong with a secured border, and enforcing reasonable border laws. There's no doubt that many Hispanics are hard working people, looking to build a better life for their families, but like other races, there are plenty of them here only to take advantage of our ridiculously generous welfare system, with no real intentions of being productive members of society.

A wall is not reasonable. It is a colossal waste of money and environmentally damaging - not to mention ridiculously ineffective. 

Hispanics are no different than Europeans from a century ago. It's just that racists hate the color of their skin, so they want us to treat them differently. 

• Plus1 4
  • Haha 1
11 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Here is what Hispanics in a Pew survey think about boarder security.   75% very much or somewhat agree the US needs to increase border security to prevent illegal crossings.  

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2021/04/20/most-latinos-say-u-s-immigration-system-needs-big-changes/ft_2021-04-19_latinos_02a/

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
1 minute ago, knapplc said:

A wall is not reasonable. It is a colossal waste of money and environmentally damaging - not to mention ridiculously ineffective. 

Hispanics are no different than Europeans from a century ago. It's just that racists hate the color of their skin, so they want us to treat them differently. 

It'll never not be funny that a border wall is where people suddenly want the government to be fiscally responsible. It doesn't matter to me if it ever gets built, because it isn't going to solve the problem completely. Though, I think it'd be a reasonable deterrent.

No doubt, some people feel that way.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
2 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

There is also the fact that business owners benefit from keeping part of their labor force illegal. Low wages and no benefits for seasonal and often year round workers, who can't complain or organize because of their compromised status. As B.B. mentioned, it's not like there's a reliable supply of U.S. citizens willing to take on those jobs, either.

It's a funny dance for big agribusiness. Much of ownership leans conservative, but they can't go full-throated against immigration because they're both the magnet and the beneficiary. I believe Devin Nunes got caught in this trap when his family's big dairy operation relocated from California to Iowa in an attempt to hide its dependence on illegal workers. 

There was a HUGE problem in the South a few years back when they were scaring out all the illegals with their gestapo immigration tactics. 

Funny story - they suddenly didn't have anyone to harvest crops. They tried to bring in convicts to do the labor, but they didn't care to do a good job and damaged all the crops. All the "they stole urr jobzz!!" folks that came to do the work quit right away because it's hard. 

• Plus1 2
5 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Here is what Hispanics in a Pew survey think about boarder security.   75% very much or somewhat agree the US needs to increase border security to prevent illegal crossings.  

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2021/04/20/most-latinos-say-u-s-immigration-system-needs-big-changes/ft_2021-04-19_latinos_02a/

Not a surprise. Most of my Hispanic friends have felt the same way.

• Plus1 3