The Democrat Utopia

9 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Ironically, the only people who would not benefit and who would actually being paying for it would be older folks and those who chose to not go to college. Seems a little counterintuitive.

Theoretically, everyone would be paying for it. But usually public debt is paid by future generations, so the older people would probably pay very little of it. Irony is that the major of people complaining about it are the older people who had the opportunity to go to college for far less cost. Or maybe hypocrisy is the word I'm looking for.

I'm curious, when social security was enacted in the 1930's did the people in their 80's loose their minds because a generation that wasn't them was going to get a benefit that they didn't?

Seriously - aren't there a lot of examples of new policies that go into effect that are only forward looking? 

• Plus1 2
42 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Theoretically, everyone would be paying for it. But usually public debt is paid by future generations, so the older people would probably pay very little of it. Irony is that the major of people complaining about it are the older people who had the opportunity to go to college for far less cost. Or maybe hypocrisy is the word I'm looking for.

I don’t recall it being considered all that less costly at the time. Even 40 years ago when I went there were a lot of people who could not afford that additional education. And there were many who struggled to pay back their loans. Funny thing about time and inflation…..costs always go up.

And theoretically, if a person collects $20,000 of benefit but only pays $2,000 (as an example) towards it, they are not really “paying” for it, they are just benefitting a little less.

You can think I’m being hypocritical if you wish, no need to disguise what you’re really saying. In reality I’m just tired of being saddled with more and more costs that benefits everyone except for me. Maybe I’m a d!(k but I don’t feel too compelled to help relieve the debt of other people who knew what the cost was and determined it was in their best interest to go forward with it. When I do that, I fully expect to have to pay it back myself. It doesn’t help that I don’t feel that higher education is a necessity for most people. If that education is not sufficient to generate the income to pay it back, it was simply a bad calculation of cost to benefit. There are 3 people in my 4 person household who have not completed that education for a diploma. Why would I want to help pay for somebody else’s diploma when we didn’t even do it for ourselves? Hypocritical….I don’t think so.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
20 minutes ago, NM11046 said:

I'm curious, when social security was enacted in the 1930's did the people in their 80's loose their minds because a generation that wasn't them was going to get a benefit that they didn't?

Seriously - aren't there a lot of examples of new policies that go into effect that are only forward looking? 

Yes, they did...But it was at a time when crazy other s#!t was going on and it was at a time when Americans were way more compliant and were way more immigrants

Trust me, if SS came out today, as a brand new thing, you would crap.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

20 minutes ago, NM11046 said:

Who is loosing their minds? Is looking out for my financial well being and realizing that resources can only be spread so far somehow abnormal? There are endless “good” ideas. Can we afford all of them?

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
2 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Who is loosing their minds? Is looking out for my financial well being and realizing that resources can only be spread so far somehow abnormal? There are endless “good” ideas. Can we afford all of them?

Nutjobs will tell you that we can help everyone...

Now, if those nut jobs would stop freaking about about pot and gambling...maybe we could???

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
11 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Yes, they did...But it was at a time when crazy other s#!t was going on and it was at a time when Americans were way more compliant and were way more immigrants

Trust me, if SS came out today, as a brand new thing, you would crap.

Hell, I’m crapping now. The thousands and thousands of $$$$s I’ve paid into that sumb!^@h and I’ll be lucky to collect even a fraction of it. Mostly because our government who apparently knows better than us how to spend our money decided to not earmark the revenue for that particular purpose but had other new “progressive” ideas about how to spend that money.

Funny thing about huge overwhelming piles of public funds, the people that spend that money start acting like it’s theirs and limitless. When it starts running out they just collect more…..and more…..and more.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

9 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

Not talking about you in particular - just that there seems to be this consistent drum beat of "but we don't benefit/I didn't get that benefit" when new initiatives are proposed.  Just noting that obviously that has likely happened before when there have been significant changes yet the previous population seemed to get through it.

• Plus1 2
6 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Why is it on the tax payer to wipe this away?

The only possible option I could get behind outside of those people paying their own bill is allowing student loans to be discharged or drawn down in bankruptcy court like other debt with the same type of penalties.   Otherwise if Gov is gonna pay off student loan debt then pay off my mortgage too or write me a check for the amount of my college and my kids college.  Or just pay me in Ethereum preferably. 

• Plus1 3
11 hours ago, RedDenver said:

Are you really going to divide this out by age?  Do you have some data to back that up?