The Democrat Utopia

12 minutes ago, funhusker said:

Thanks for sharing the article.  I actually learned some things about the bulls#!t Desantis and the Florida Dept of Ed are putting their teachers through.

I wonder what the final amount of “unapproved” books will be after spending all this time and tax dollars.

Glad I don’t live/teach in Florida!

No problemo.  

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Archy1221 said:

No problemo.  

I am kind of curious on your thoughts about the school districts training video instructing teachers to put books into storage while awaiting review.

Doesn’t really help the “false narrative” argument and even makes the firing of the teacher seem a bit vengeful.  Granted, he apparently broke the social media policy…

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 2
2 minutes ago, funhusker said:

I am kind of curious on your thoughts about the school districts training video instructing teachers to put books into storage while awaiting review.

Doesn’t really help the “false narrative” argument and even makes the firing of the teacher seem a bit vengeful.  Granted, he apparently broke the social media policy…

The narrative was that Florida schools book shelves were  becoming empty because soooo many books were banned.  His picture helped perpetuate that myth and as the article said, caused the school and district some hard ship in having to quell that myth so many fell prey to.  

The video seemed like it was prepared fine to me.  I wonder how many teachers are quitting en mass because of this faux outrage machine created on the left.  

Maybe it is a super duper big issue that is making teachers upset all over Florida and this book “issue” will cause so many kids to begin a steady decline in cognition and grades.or they aren’t and they won’t.   I guess we will find which way it plays out soon enough.  

• Plus1 2
13 minutes ago, commando said:

IMO it's a false narrative to say books aren't being banned in Florida.

Are books being banned from the State or taken out of some school libraries?  Maybe you are correct and it’s illegal to have certain books while in the State of Florida.  Haven’t read about that yet.  

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2

List of books banned in classrooms in Duval County, Florida.  So yeah banned in Florida.

https://pen.org/banned-books-florida/

Included are books about the lives of Hank Aaron, Jackie Robinson, Roberto Clemente, and Jim Thorpe.  I wonder why those books would be banned.

I also noticed the book "Zen Shorts" is banned probably because it's based on:

Zen Buddhist literature and the other story is from Taoism. The stories illustrate the importance of meditation, and encourage readers to think about things that may be hard to imagine. They have strong themes about open-mindedness, compassion, and not getting too upset about things.

Oh the horrors of little Johnnie learning how not to get too upset about things, being compassionate, or being open minded.  It'd be better if he was out learning how to use an assault rifle.  

Here's one that will tell you everything you need to know about why Florida is banning certain books.  It's on the list posted above.

Hush! A Thai Lullaby

The book is a lullaby that commits the culture war crime of teaching about the various animals found in the rural areas of...... somewhere other than 'Merika

1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

The narrative was that Florida schools book shelves were  becoming empty because soooo many books were banned.  His picture helped perpetuate that myth and as the article said, caused the school and district some hard ship in having to quell that myth so many fell prey to.  

The video seemed like it was prepared fine to me.  I wonder how many teachers are quitting en mass because of this faux outrage machine created on the left.  

Maybe it is a super duper big issue that is making teachers upset all over Florida and this book “issue” will cause so many kids to begin a steady decline in cognition and grades.or they aren’t and they won’t.   I guess we will find which way it plays out soon enough.  

So is it worth the trouble to go through all this if only a very small amount of books end up “banned”?

Seems like a huge waste of time and resources over something that doesn’t seem to be a problem…

• TBH 1
18 minutes ago, Scarlet said:

Here's one that will tell you everything you need to know about why Florida is banning certain books.  It's on the list posted above.

Hush! A Thai Lullaby

The book is a lullaby that commits the culture war crime of teaching about the various animals found in the rural areas of...... somewhere other than 'Merika

isn't it obvious?   the black cat was causing trouble and trying to wake the baby

7 minutes ago, funhusker said:

So is it worth the trouble to go through all this if only a very small amount of books end up “banned”?

Seems like a huge waste of time and resources over something that doesn’t seem to be a problem…

lol...archy is calling it faux outrage to object to banning books?   no wonder so many have stopped engaging him.    

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, commando said:

lol...archy is calling it faux outrage to object to banning books?   no wonder so many have stopped engaging him.    

It is a faux outrage when you are being sold something that isn’t happening the way it’s being sold.  You not engaging with me is just the added bonus. 

• Plus1 1

Not a good investment NYC……

Much of this big sell-off is occurring because de Blasio waived the usual good government oversight of city contracts at the start of the pandemic. Former city Comptroller Scott Stringer, whose job was to make sure that the city gets what it’s paying for, was sidelined.

Earlier this month, his successor, Comptroller Brad Lander, issued a report noting that despite the pandemic, city agencies still had the responsibility to vet the credibility of vendors to see if they would deliver what they promised and if the prices offered were reasonable.

The comptroller zeroed in on Digital Gadgets, an electronics firm run by Charlie Tebele, a major donor to de Blasio, who appointed Tebele to EDC’s board after the city ramped down its COVID purchases. Digital Gadgets was prepaid $9.1 million for ventilators that it failed to deliver, so the city applied that payment to surgical masks the company did supply. But Digital’s initial delivery of N95 masks were of “poor quality or not FDA-certified,” and were sold to the city for $4 a piece — well above the average per-mask price of $3.10, Lander found.

• Fire 1