The Democrat Utopia

1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

Not a good investment NYC……

Much of this big sell-off is occurring because de Blasio waived the usual good government oversight of city contracts at the start of the pandemic. Former city Comptroller Scott Stringer, whose job was to make sure that the city gets what it’s paying for, was sidelined.

Earlier this month, his successor, Comptroller Brad Lander, issued a report noting that despite the pandemic, city agencies still had the responsibility to vet the credibility of vendors to see if they would deliver what they promised and if the prices offered were reasonable.

The comptroller zeroed in on Digital Gadgets, an electronics firm run by Charlie Tebele, a major donor to de Blasio, who appointed Tebele to EDC’s board after the city ramped down its COVID purchases. Digital Gadgets was prepaid $9.1 million for ventilators that it failed to deliver, so the city applied that payment to surgical masks the company did supply. But Digital’s initial delivery of N95 masks were of “poor quality or not FDA-certified,” and were sold to the city for $4 a piece — well above the average per-mask price of $3.10, Lander found.

Yep!

Look at what smaller government and lack of oversight will do.  

Thanks for sharing!

• Plus1 3

1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

LOL…it was the incompetent government oversight that created the issue :facepalm:

Sorry, was this not in your post?:

"Much of this big sell-off is occurring because de Blasio waived the usual good government oversight of city contracts at the start of the pandemic. Former city Comptroller Scott Stringer, whose job was to make sure that the city gets what it’s paying for, was sidelined.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
4 minutes ago, funhusker said:

"Much of this big sell-off is occurring because de Blasio waived the usual good government oversight of city contracts at the start of the pandemic. Former city Comptroller Scott Stringer, whose job was to make sure that the city gets what it’s paying for, was sidelined.

@Archy1221 I also want to commend you for your frustration with allowing incompetent people in positions of power in our government.  

Be careful, pretty soon you're going to go the way of other HB posters and join the "liberal" club.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
14 minutes ago, funhusker said:

Correct, incompetent government oversight brought on by an incompetent Mayor. Thanks for pointing it out again.  You do understand that lack of oversight because those in charge don’t want the oversight is actually bad oversight, don’t you?!?  

• Plus1 2

1 minute ago, Archy1221 said:

Correct, incompetent government oversight brought on by an incompetent Mayor. Thanks for pointing it out again.  You do understand that lack of oversight because those in charge don’t want the oversight is actually bad oversight, don’t you?!?  

Yes, I do.  Not sure why you would think I thought differently.

What I don't get is how one would think that less oversight would create more oversight though.  I do struggle with that logic.

• TBH 3
19 minutes ago, ZRod said:

Is this another article you didn't read again?

I read multiple articles. I only posted this one. The others sited things like the % increase in crimes…a new mayor that increased the police budget recently, and was elected when running on a platform that included increasing the funding….comments from citizens about how bad they think it is in Seattle. 

this tidbit was nice, but it does say “potentially” …

“Seattle’s defunding plan drove a wedge between the council and then-Mayor Jenny Durkan, potentially contributing to the resignation and retirement of more than 400 sworn SPD staff members over the past two years”

I can post the others if you like. Do you think it’s going well?

I have two employees up there. One is liberal the other conservative. I ask them from time to time about their home town. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
21 hours ago, nic said:

I read multiple articles. I only posted this one. The others sited things like the % increase in crimes…a new mayor that increased the police budget recently, and was elected when running on a platform that included increasing the funding….comments from citizens about how bad they think it is in Seattle. 

this tidbit was nice, but it does say “potentially” …

“Seattle’s defunding plan drove a wedge between the council and then-Mayor Jenny Durkan, potentially contributing to the resignation and retirement of more than 400 sworn SPD staff members over the past two years”

I can post the others if you like. Do you think it’s going well?

I have two employees up there. One is liberal the other conservative. I ask them from time to time about their home town. 

But in actuality nothing was defunded, no policing alternatives implemented, no investment in the community; and nothing got better. Shocking!

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 3

15 hours ago, ZRod said:

But in actuality nothing was defunded, no policing alternatives implemented, no investment in the community and nothing got better. Shocking!

The police threatened to walk. That's a power play, as the loss of 400 officers would most definitely impact public safety and create a self-fulfilling prophecy. 

But, as you say, nothing happened and nothing was learned. The poorly named Defund the Police movement mostly sought change by transferring some of the duties most cops hated and weren't trained in to other government agencies, along with the commensurate funding. Of course we turned it into a Pro Blue/Anti Blue binary argument, because that's what America does. 

• Plus1 3
  • TBH 1
14 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

The police threatened to walk. That's a power play, as the loss of 400 officers would most definitely impact public safety and create a self-fulfilling prophecy. 

But, as you say, nothing happened and nothing was learned. The poorly named Defund the Police movement mostly sought change by transferring some of the duties most cops hated and weren't trained in to other government agencies, along with the commensurate funding. Of course we turned it into a Pro Blue/Anti Blue binary argument, because that's what America does. 

SUPPORT THE BLUE DAMNIT!!!!!

UNLESS WE WANT TO STORM THE CAPITAL OR THEY ARE INVESTIGATING OUR LORD SAVIOR CHEETO.

29 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I mean if I was a cop I would absolutely love reform that meant I keep my salary and have less responsibilities when it comes to things like wellness checks, mentally ill encounters, non violent domestic issues, etc.

• Oh Yeah! 1

The Democrats are criminally stupid PR noobs. How could you not understand that "defund the police" is a ghastly self-inflicted wound. 

The actual intent - of using resources for mental health issues that are better suited to respond than the police - is a no-brainer. But when you couch that in language that seems to attack the police... no one is going to support that, not even people who see the logic in the attempt.

None of these mistakes have to happen. Democrats are just morons when it comes to messaging. 

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 1
5 minutes ago, knapplc said:

The Democrats are criminally stupid PR noobs. How could you not understand that "defund the police" is a ghastly self-inflicted wound. 

The actual intent - of using resources for mental health issues that are better suited to respond than the police - is a no-brainer. But when you couch that in language that seems to attack the police... no one is going to support that, not even people who see the logic in the attempt.

None of these mistakes have to happen. Democrats are just morons when it comes to messaging. 

It's mind bogglingly stupid.