The Democrat Utopia

1 minute ago, Loebarth said:

lol... fixed it :)

also, i should never post this stuff... I am not political so I shouldn't post this but its just so in our face these days. makes me want to vomit. 

Are you sure you want this in the Democrat Utopia thread because all I can see about her was she was a Republican until 2021.  Is she a Democratic now?

No, i don't care about party.. I posted for the "truth" shock.. every reporter on cable.. regardless of their broadcaster (cnn, msnbc, fox, abc, nbc, cbs, npr) ... instead of doing real journalism they push the talking point of the check provider... This was just a video that shocked me so much as every point she rehearsed first and then presented as false turned out to be truth. I'm certain I wouldn't have to look hard to find a similar video regarding say hannity lies. It's the lies that i posted the video.. Just tired of all the lying is all.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • TBH 1
3 hours ago, Loebarth said:

This shocked me... I used to trust CNN can't anymore. Same with every mainstream new source I just can't. I mean come on MSNBC’s Nicolle Wallace more agenda BS over facts. Sadly, we are seeing this truth from all US media outlets (all of them) instead of reporting fact, they report agenda... Disgusting, who can trust anything said by our corrupt media these days? 

LINK

Wait. Fox News trolling MSNBC news is what made you lose faith in CNN? 

Nicole Wallace's unsurprising comments were the last straw?  THIS is the thing you found most shocking this week/month/year?

• Plus1 2

AOC brags about Amazon pausing the HQ build near DC. She helped get Amazon to abandon the NY project. Honestly, she did Amazon and whichever other state gets their business a favor. People are leaving NY Congresswomen.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
  • TBH 1
6 hours ago, nic said:

AOC brags about Amazon pausing the HQ build near DC. She helped get Amazon to abandon the NY project. Honestly, she did Amazon and whichever other state gets their business a favor. People are leaving NY Congresswomen.

This could possibly be your worst take yet. If Amazon got massive tax breaks to build their campus then she did the right thing. No corporation or sports team should be getting sweetheart deals from the government, it only hurts the community in the long run when those companies inevitably leave.

• Plus1 6
  • Haha 2
7 hours ago, nic said:

pretty sure you've got every relevant point wrong. All it took was the AOC reference to get you in a huff?

• Plus1 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
On 3/4/2023 at 9:47 AM, NM11046 said:

Your comments are very misleading Nic.  If you read the article you'll see the Portland closings have nothing to do with shoplifting.  

If I had to make a guess why a store like Walmart doesn't do well in Portland it is likely more because of the people's support of small businesses in their community rather than feeding the beast that comes in and shutters others, pays lower wages and impacts the community in a negative way.  It's one thing to plunk one down in rural Idaho, another to try and make one work in a city or it's suburbs.

If you notice I did say other places were closing as well. Also why would the CEO mention crime if it was not an issue. You saw his quote right? Maybe it was political posturing. Portland and other cities are getting worse because of bad policies...ask Lightfoot how that turned out.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, nic said:

Tax breaks to bring corporations into states are never worth it. 

And she was... correct? 

• Plus1 3
On 3/5/2023 at 4:41 AM, ZRod said:

This could possibly be your worst take yet. If Amazon got massive tax breaks to build their campus then she did the right thing. No corporation or sports team should be getting sweetheart deals from the government, it only hurts the community in the long run when those companies inevitably leave.

If her constituents are happy with her choices, so be it. The tax breaks happen all the time, at least at first to attract the business. Amazon will just go somewhere else.

• Plus1 2
On 3/4/2023 at 8:47 AM, NM11046 said:

Your comments are very misleading Nic.  If you read the article you'll see the Portland closings have nothing to do with shoplifting.  

If I had to make a guess why a store like Walmart doesn't do well in Portland it is likely more because of the people's support of small businesses in their community rather than feeding the beast that comes in and shutters others, pays lower wages and impacts the community in a negative way.  It's one thing to plunk one down in rural Idaho, another to try and make one work in a city or it's suburbs.

How about an LA Times article?

https://www.latimes.com/world-nation/story/2023-02-10/whats-the-matter-with-portland-urban-ills-tests-citys-progressive-strain

Over the last three years, the number of unhoused people in the metro area has jumped from about 4,000 to at least 6,600. Shootings in the city have tripled. Homicides climbed from 36 in 2019 to 97 last year — a record. Lower-level crimes have spiked too: More than 11,000 vehicles were stolen in 2022, up from 6,500 in 2019.

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 1
19 hours ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

Tax breaks to bring corporations into states are never worth it. 

I disagree.

I do some work in economic development in our community.  I see what happens from community to community.  I've seen many situations where communities give benefits to a company to locate there and it works out great for that community.  The company gets a break for maybe 5 years, they are invested and there a lot longer than that and the employment and tax base goes up from there.

However, we have all seen the well reported on disasters where communities or states do it completely wrong.  Unfortunately, that's what people remember.

The devil is in the details, just like any negotiation.  

• TBH 2
1 hour ago, nic said:

If her constituents are happy with her choices, so be it. The tax breaks happen all the time, at least at first to attract the business. Amazon will just go somewhere else.

Just because something is the norm doesn't mean it's right, or good for society.

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

I disagree.

I do some work in economic development in our community.  I see what happens from community to community.  I've seen many situations where communities give benefits to a company to locate there and it works out great for that community.  The company gets a break for maybe 5 years, they are invested and there a lot longer than that and the employment and tax base goes up from there.

However, we have all seen the well reported on disasters where communities or states do it completely wrong.  Unfortunately, that's what people remember.

The devil is in the details, just like any negotiation.  

Probably very true; but in this case most of these cities were talking about tax breaks from half a billion to over a billion dollars. On top of that they would be shelling out money to Amazon, and potentially upgrading infrastructure for Amazon on the tax payer's dime. That's a terrible plan.

A company as large and as wealthy as Amazon shouldn't need cities to whore themselves out like that. They could spend their own money. In 2018 Amazon was around 2k per share. You make a plan to cash out 500k stocks and that's a billion dollars right there. I know it's not that simple, but they have the means to fund their own projects and they should.

• Plus1 1