The Democrat Utopia

5 minutes ago, knapplc said:

The elder Cuomo appears to be in a bit of a pickle.

The one time 'almost Dem savior' - who didn't get into the primaries but I think hoped he'd be a 'white knight' at the convention if the party was hung up short of a nominee seems to have fallen from his high perch.  Seems like his pride took over.

Perhaps a rising star in the Dem party.   Colo Rep and Impeachment Mgr  Joe Neguse. 

https://news.yahoo.com/rep-joe-neguse-democrats-youngest-194533608.html

In a party often criticized for its aging leadership — all three top House Democrats are octogenarians — the sudden prominence of new-generation talent like Neguse was a welcome development.

His 16-minute summation, a plea to Republicans to put country over party, drew on his upbringing as the son of Eritrean refugees and his anguish over the insurrection and the apparent fragility of democracy. It led to a burst of 61,000 new Twitter followers, national media attention and heaps of praise from commentators.

"He was just really, really good. He debunked the bad-faith, legalistic arguments from Trump's attorneys, but he combined it with a deep emotional appeal," said Tim Miller, a former Republican strategist, in an interview. In a tweet, Miller likened Neguse's performance to Barack Obama's breakout speech at the 2004 Democratic National Convention.

Not that he predicts Neguse, who's just 36 and starting his second term, will be president in four years. "It's more that this is a moment people will point to as he rises in the party," Miller said.

In the privacy of the senators' cloakroom just off the chamber's floor, several Republicans, including two of Trump's closest allies, complimented Neguse for his trial presentations, according to two people with knowledge of those conversations. But ultimately only seven Republicans voted to convict the former president, who escaped an impeachment conviction for the second time in 13 months.

The outcome surprised almost no one in Washington. But Neguse, days later, remained stung.

"I legitimately believed there was a chance we could convince 67 senators," he said in an hourlong phone interview this week. "As naive as that might have sounded, I believed that."

In urging Republicans to "rise to the occasion," Neguse said he aimed not to shame them but to explain that Democrats were driven by love of country, not hatred of Trump. Instead of a tirade, he sought to testify to his own faith in America's ideals and institutions.

"That truly is borne from a deep belief that in America anything is possible," Neguse said. "How can I not believe that when, as the son of refugees who came to this country with very little, I have the opportunity to serve in the House of Representatives?"

2 hours ago, DevoHusker said:

Maaaaaaaybe don't mess around with fatality numbers during a pandemic? Eh?

You mess with the bull, you get the horns.

However, and unrelated to you, Mr. @DevoHusker...

I don't know what the numbers of Dems vs. GOP are in the state chambers of New York, but I'm guessing their legislature is predominantly filled with Dems.

So, apparently, if there's evidence to show Gov. Cuomo is guilty, but the Dems vote against impeachment or conviction, he's totes innocent and we should all just slaver over his legacy?

Is that how that works, any trumpets who read this?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Plus1 5
12 hours ago, knapplc said:

I don't know what the numbers of Dems vs. GOP are in the state chambers of New York, but I'm guessing their legislature is predominantly filled with Dems.

250px-New_York_State_Assembly.svg.png

Political groups
Majority caucus (107)

Minority caucus

250px-New_York_State_Senate.svg.png

Political groups
Majority caucus

Minority caucus

Vacant (1)
  • Plus1 1

10 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

That might have been the dumbest article written on the subject. 
and btw...not cutting on you for sharing.  Glad you posted it!  Just talking about the authors 

Edited by Archy1221
  • Plus1 1
On 2/17/2021 at 1:29 PM, TGHusker said:

The one time 'almost Dem savior' - who didn't get into the primaries but I think hoped he'd be a 'white knight' at the convention if the party was hung up short of a nominee seems to have fallen from his high perch.  Seems like his pride took over.

It’s amazing how he was set up to be a star and all he had to do was be honest.  Idiot.  

• Haha 1