The Democrat Utopia

On 5/19/2021 at 2:47 PM, knapplc said:

I agree, but that's the wrong play. McConnell wouldn't do that if the situations were reversed. He'd force a vote through to end the filibuster, then unilaterally act as he deemed necessary. The Dems won't even sniff that kind of action, even if it means saving the country in the process. 

They're morons. They continually rely on fair play from a party that has shown they will betray them time and time again. 

The Dems ended the filibuster for judicial appointments and although it allowed them to get appointments through in the short term it ended in disaster when the Repubs used the rule to take SCOTUS. It seems like every time the Dems change the rules to push something through it comes back to haunt them later. Is the Jan6 commission really the important? What is it going to accomplish? I am actually curious here. Seems like there are more important hills to die on. 

• Plus1 2

1 hour ago, nic said:

The Dems ended the filibuster for judicial appointments and although it allowed them to get appointments through in the short term it ended in disaster when the Repubs used the rule to take SCOTUS. It seems like every time the Dems change the rules to push something through it comes back to haunt them later. Is the Jan6 commission really the important? What is it going to accomplish? I am actually curious here. Seems like there are more important hills to die on. 

Amazing. We have an attack on our government that we have never seen.  And, it’s not important to study it to see how it happened and who was all involved and to what extent?  Especially when some of those people are still in our government?  

amazing. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Amazing. We have an attack on our government that we have never seen.  And, it’s not important to study it to see how it happened and who was all involved and to what extent?  Especially when some of those people are still in our government?  

amazing. 

“Never seen”? Below are a few recent events, but I skipped most of our history.

The source is history.com

>>>>>

On March 1, 1954, four Puerto Rican Americans fired guns in the House of Representatives, injuring five congressmen. The attackers said they acted to demand independence for the U.S. territory of Puerto Rico. (Puerto Ricans have U.S. citizenship but can’t vote for president and have no voting representatives in Congress.) The injured congressmen survived, and the four shooters received prison sentences. President Jimmy Carter commuted one of their sentences in 1977, and granted clemency to the other three in 1979.

On March 1, 1971, a bomb exploded in the Capitol building. While the explosion did not injure anyone, it caused some $300,000 in damage. A group calling itself the Weather Underground claimed to be behind the bombing and said it was in protest of the ongoing U.S.-supported bombing of Laos. 

Thirteen years later, on November 7, 1983, a bomb tore through the second floor of the Senate wing of the Capitol. The device detonated late in the evening and no one was harmed, but it caused an estimated $250,000 in damage. A group calling itself the Armed Resistance Unit later claimed responsibility for the attack, saying it was in retaliation for military actions in Grenada and Lebanon. Seven people were eventually arrested in connection with the attack.  

On June 14, 2017, a gunman walked onto a baseball field at Eugene Simpson Park in Alexandria, Virginia, opening fire on politicians and wounding House GOP Whip Steve Scalise of Louisiana and four others. 

The representatives had been practicing for the annual Congressional Baseball Game for Charity. James Hodgkinson, a 66-year-old man, asked a passing congressman—South Carolina’s Jeff Duncan—whether Republicans or Democrats were on the field practicing. Once he received confirmation that the Republican representatives were the ones playing ball, Hodgkinson fired off 60 rounds into the unsuspecting elected officials. 

>>>>>

The DOJ is finding, arresting and prosecuting the perps. I suspect they will find what they need as some will roll over and talk. Conspiracy theorists have been around for a long time. In the 90s, they just stockpiled, armed, bought gold and bunkered down. So I guess you are thinking to find and prosecute some members of Congress for their alleged role in the riot and the commission will do that? Since politicians get away with about anything, it doesn’t seem like it’s a useful thing to kill the filibuster on. The next party that has a super majority should kill it just to kill it. 

• Plus1 2
18 minutes ago, nic said:

“Never seen”? Below are a few recent events, but I skipped most of our history.

The source is history.com

>>>>>

On March 1, 1954, four Puerto Rican Americans fired guns in the House of Representatives, injuring five congressmen. The attackers said they acted to demand independence for the U.S. territory of Puerto Rico. (Puerto Ricans have U.S. citizenship but can’t vote for president and have no voting representatives in Congress.) The injured congressmen survived, and the four shooters received prison sentences. President Jimmy Carter commuted one of their sentences in 1977, and granted clemency to the other three in 1979.

On March 1, 1971, a bomb exploded in the Capitol building. While the explosion did not injure anyone, it caused some $300,000 in damage. A group calling itself the Weather Underground claimed to be behind the bombing and said it was in protest of the ongoing U.S.-supported bombing of Laos. 

Thirteen years later, on November 7, 1983, a bomb tore through the second floor of the Senate wing of the Capitol. The device detonated late in the evening and no one was harmed, but it caused an estimated $250,000 in damage. A group calling itself the Armed Resistance Unit later claimed responsibility for the attack, saying it was in retaliation for military actions in Grenada and Lebanon. Seven people were eventually arrested in connection with the attack.  

On June 14, 2017, a gunman walked onto a baseball field at Eugene Simpson Park in Alexandria, Virginia, opening fire on politicians and wounding House GOP Whip Steve Scalise of Louisiana and four others. 

The representatives had been practicing for the annual Congressional Baseball Game for Charity. James Hodgkinson, a 66-year-old man, asked a passing congressman—South Carolina’s Jeff Duncan—whether Republicans or Democrats were on the field practicing. Once he received confirmation that the Republican representatives were the ones playing ball, Hodgkinson fired off 60 rounds into the unsuspecting elected officials. 

>>>>>

The DOJ is finding, arresting and prosecuting the perps. I suspect they will find what they need as some will roll over and talk. Conspiracy theorists have been around for a long time. In the 90s, they just stockpiled, armed, bought gold and bunkered down. So I guess you are thinking to find and prosecute some members of Congress for their alleged role in the riot and the commission will do that? Since politicians get away with about anything, it doesn’t seem like it’s a useful thing to kill the filibuster on. The next party that has a super majority should kill it just to kill it. 

Still not the same.  

This one was perpetrated by Americans that were motivated by a single person and supported by others in the highest offices of our own government.  Most of those are still in office and the main one wants back in. 

Their attack was to stop the very basic part of our country, peaceful transition of power. 

Your examples gave none of that. 

• Plus1 3
3 hours ago, nic said:

So I guess you are thinking to find and prosecute some members of Congress for their alleged role in the riot and the commission will do that? Since politicians get away with about anything, it doesn’t seem like it’s a useful thing to kill the filibuster on.

I mean.... yeah?

If members of Congress took part in the January 6th insurrection, absolutely we should find out and prosecute them. And some lame excuse that politicians get away with anything... no, that's not a reason to not try.

This country has become so weak-minded. What happened to law & order?

• Plus1 1
9 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Still not the same.  

This one was perpetrated by Americans that were motivated by a single person and supported by others in the highest offices of our own government.  Most of those are still in office and the main one wants back in. 

Their attack was to stop the very basic part of our country, peaceful transition of power. 

Your examples gave none of that. 

I assume your single person is Trump. The DOJ can decide to prosecute him correct? He is not immune to that. They already went after him on Russian collusion for 3 years and an impeachment. it ended with a whimper after bringing the country through the ringer. Can’t the DOJ present the evidence and prosecute him (and whoever else they have proof on), versus have a commission? A commission will be will be lots of politicians ranting and raving. It sounds like a dog and pony show and clicks for the media to me. Maybe I am too cynical. I would rather have Washington focus on other things and try and actually unify the country before it’s too late.

Also, I believe the weather underground was Americans and bombs going off are serious. If they had gone off at the right time, it would have been bad.

• Plus1 2

6 hours ago, knapplc said:

I mean.... yeah?

If members of Congress took part in the January 6th insurrection, absolutely we should find out and prosecute them. And some lame excuse that politicians get away with anything... no, that's not a reason to not try.

This country has become so weak-minded. What happened to law & order?

See above. Let the FBI and DOJ do their thing.

• Plus1 2

Reason number 873 on why the media is a s#!t show when it comes to any story with a political angle to it.  

Somehow it’s Trumps fault says Mr. Karl for entire liberal media being bad at their job and not only NOT investigating to biggest story in the world at then time but actively dismissing the story for no good reason .  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
23 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Reason number 873 on why the media is a s#!t show when it comes to any story with a political angle to it.  

Somehow it’s Trumps fault says Mr. Karl for entire liberal media being bad at their job and not only NOT investigating to biggest story in the world at then time but actively dismissing the story for no good reason .  

Someday you folks will get it.  The “yuge” problem with Trump is not “what” he always said, but “how” he always said it.

For example: we can secure a border without making enemies of the people on the other side.  I feel like the point of the past 5 years has gone over everyone’s head!

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 2