Non-Scott Frost Coaching Options

Roger Dorn

Just now, FrantzHardySwag said:

He went 15-9 despite 40 less scholarships and 4 year bowl ban. He was B1G coach of the year and National coach of the year. He was a train wreck for the texans, but what he did at Penn St was pretty incredible. 

Yeah I dont hold NFL success or lack thereof against a college coach. Spurrier and Saban sucked at the pros but were great in college. 

16 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

He went 15-9 despite 40 less scholarships and 4 year bowl ban. He was B1G coach of the year and National coach of the year. He was a train wreck for the texans, but what he did at Penn St was pretty incredible. 

All he did was prevent PSU from going completely in the toilet after the Paterno fallout. The bar was set pretty low. 15-9 is not a wildly successful run by PSU standards. If you thought Pelini was smug with the media and fans, wait till you get a whiff of BOB.

• Oh Yeah! 1
20 minutes ago, Houston_Husker said:

All he did was prevent PSU from going completely in the toilet after the Paterno fallout. The bar was set pretty low. 15-9 is not a wildly successful run by PSU standards. If you thought Pelini was smug with the media and fans, wait till you get a whiff of BOB.

Agreed 100%. In O'Brien, I see Callahan 2.0. No thanks.

Malzahn pulled out a tough win over Boise St. last night, but the problem is it looks like his offense would need a great quarterback, and I don't see us out-recruiting Ohio State, Penn State, Michigan, Minnesota, or even Iowa State now for those kinds of kids. 

A Monken or Calhoun would really interesting because we would be unique, tough to prepare for, and we wouldn't be recruiting against conference opponents for the same kinds of players, at least on offense.

Chadwell's stuff would be fun to see in Lincoln.

• Plus1 2

I honestly wouldn't care. I am so drained from coaching searches. I was so invested in getting Frost and once we got him it was emotions that were similar to winning a national championship. I was elated and thought better days were ahead for Nebraska. I felt it was the last hope for us to return to relevance and being near the top year in and year out. I felt that if Frost, a Nebraskan, former Cornhusker, and good young coach couldn't get us back no one could. 

I wanted Frost to work out, I still want Frost to work out, but I am tired and drained of 20 years of going through coaches who, no matter who it is we hire, continue to fail here. So whatever if we conduct a new coaching search, I wont be invested, i'll sit back and see what the hire ups decide to do and see how their choice pans out.

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, BoNeyard said:

I honestly wouldn't care. I am so drained from coaching searches. I was so invested in getting Frost and once we got him it was emotions that were similar to winning a national championship. I was elated and thought better days were ahead for Nebraska. I felt it was the last hope for us to return to relevance and being near the top year in and year out. I felt that if Frost, a Nebraskan, former Cornhusker, and good young coach couldn't get us back no one could. 

I wanted Frost to work out, I still want Frost to work out, but I am tired and drained of 20 years of going through coaches who, no matter who it is we hire, continue to fail here. So whatever if we conduct a new coaching search, I wont be invested, i'll sit back and see what the hire ups decide to do and see how their choice pans out.

Yep. Im in the same boat.  Speaking of boats, maybe should try fishing on Saturdays instead.

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Matt Campbell would be the dream scenario, but highly unlikely. Chadwell from Coastal would be pretty interesting. The Wisconsin DC could be interesting.

With the Big 12 falling apart, their chances of landing somebody in the CFP are pretty slim once OK and TX leave.  I don't see Campbell staying in the Big 12 long-term, and with the right amount of money, he may be willing to make a move.  I agree he would be the ideal candidate with proven P5 experience (while the Big 12 is still considered P5) and frankly has made Iowa State a relevant program when they really have little history of being relevant.  His predecessor (Paul Rhoads) was 32-55 which is a .368 winning percentage.  Guess who is 12-21 with a .363 winning percentage?

• Plus1 1

18 minutes ago, BoNeyard said:

I wouldn't call Bo a failure here, especially in hindsight.

• Plus1 4
5 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Good point.  Bo was a very good coach but I would not say an elite coach.  Right now I think most Husker fans just want to get back to being very good and making a CCG every once in a while.  I think there are many good options out there to get us back to being very good and only a few that could make us elite.  

• Plus1 1
25 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Bo had reach his ceiling at Nebraska. It became the same sort of year every year. Sure, his 9-10 wins every year we'd all take now, but at the time, it was the same story too. We stood no chance against teams better than us, mostly beat teams at the same level as us, and get upset once a year by someone we shouldn't have lost to. Also his offenses seemed to have zero identity, and really besides Suh, his defenses weren't spectacular. Again, in hindsight, sure we'd take those types of seasons again, but Bo wasn't bringing any conference championships to Lincoln.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
6 minutes ago, BoNeyard said:

Bo had reach his ceiling at Nebraska. It became the same sort of year every year. Sure, his 9-10 wins every year we'd all take now, but at the time, it was the same story too. We stood no chance against teams better than us, mostly beat teams at the same level as us, and get upset once a year by someone we shouldn't have lost to. Also his offenses seemed to have zero identity, and really besides Suh, his defenses weren't spectacular. Again, in hindsight, sure we'd take those types of seasons again, but Bo wasn't bringing any conference championships to Lincoln.

Good thing we didn't claim Osborne hit his ceiling after 7 years......or even 10.....or even 20....

• Plus1 2
24 minutes ago, BoNeyard said:

He very nearly won two conference titles in his first 4 or 5 years.... Granted he didn't (well, he did against Texas), but he was close enough that I think claiming he couldn't win one is odd. Offensively, he had 3 of the better backs in Nebraska history. I'll take that identify compared to what we have now.

• Plus1 2