Tenn fires coach and we still have our giant failure

jauken

Moos had best do a better job of finding a replacement than Pederson did when he canned Frankie.  The assumption was that big name coaches would be jumping at the chance, and people even mentioned Bill Parcels and Mariucci.  Then Houston Nutt turned him down in the most public and embarrassing way.  Callahan ended up being a desperation hire that looked, for a brief moment, that it was a stroke of luck, but wasn't.  

Find the successor now.  

Just now, Guy Chamberlin said:

When you have a game like yesterday, from the Minnesota touchdown on the opening kickoff, to the two time outs and two humiliating sacks that ended it, you are witnessing a thoroughly demoralized team and coaching staff.

At that point it's not about patience, or not having a better interim coach in place. You actually have people in misery and the change is good for everyone. For the players, for Moos, for the fans and even for Riley.

None of it affect negotiations with future coaches an iota. Stopping the charade lets everyone move their energies to more productive places. 

Trouble is, just firing Riley and having an interim coaching staff in place for the rest of the season isn't much of a change.  I wouldn't expect much of a change in our morale until we've named our new coach, which won't happen before the end of the season, likely not until after all the bowls have been played.  That said, if the program is at a point where Moos feels that pulling the trigger now would be a better move, I'm not going to be upset about it.  I can't say for sure what's going on with the team behind the scenes and Bill can, but from the outside looking in, I don't see a concrete reason to fire Riley now.

• Plus1 1

^^^ Yeah, I think a lot of people (too many-probably) are taking that prior statement way too literally. He could let Riley go at any moment and it wouldn’t be going back on his word at all IMO. The circumstances at Wazzou were completely different when he hired Leach. What we have is a fully engulfed 5 alarm dumpster fire and it needs to begin to have water applied. Not sure firing Riley really helps much at this point but it would send a message that somebody up there cares and that they aren’t ever going to let apathy take a greater hold. Keeping him through Iowa serves absolutely no purpose. It’s not about winning either of the games but about letting the players know somebody cares and maybe giving them some purpose for stepping on that field.

12 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

When you have a game like yesterday, from the Minnesota touchdown on the opening kickoff, to the two time outs and two humiliating sacks that ended it, you are witnessing a thoroughly demoralized team and coaching staff.

At that point it's not about patience, or not having a better interim coach in place. You actually have people in misery and the change is good for everyone. For the players, for Moos, for the fans and even for Riley.

None of it affect negotiations with future coaches an iota. Stopping the charade lets everyone move their energies to more productive places. 

Amen. Very well said.

59 minutes ago, Hans Gruber said:

Serious question. Does it matter if Riley is fired now or in two weeks?

I don't think so. Nebraska will be underdogs against both Penn State and Iowa regardless of who the head coach is. I seriously doubt that firing Riley now will make any difference in who the next head coach is.

With all that said though, I wouldn't have any issue if they canned Riley today.

I think the only thing that firing Riley now would accomplish is making the fan base feel a little better about two weeks early. However, that is not going to speed up the coaching search,  change anything or make a difference with who the next HC is as you have said.  The timeline remains the same....we will know who our new HC is after their bowl game.

• Plus1 2
1 minute ago, adc7236 said:

I think the only thing that firing Riley now would accomplish is making the fan base feel a little better about two weeks early. However, that is not going to speed up the coaching search,  change anything or make a difference with who the next HC is as you have said.  The timeline remains the same....we will know who our new HC is after their bowl game.

Agree with everything except the last sentence. I think we'll know who the next head coach is in the first week of December. 

• Plus1 2

1 hour ago, jauken said:

Yet inability to act when your house is on fire in my opinion makes you a fool.  You do Something!!! You say Riley will not be back.

What!  Gaaa, I hope we do that, fire the guy and announce Frost!  Wooo yeah, that would ruin his season and cause many people to lose respect for him.  Only the mentally challenged think HCMR will e retained for another year.  Coaching changes happen when the season is over.

• Plus1 2

I feel like we have to exclaim this until we are blue in the face every single year - the sellout streak can't and won't end this year. All of the tickets have been sold already for the 2017 season. Cut the doom and gloom.

Honestly, whether we fire Mike now or in two weeks is (mostly) irrelevant to me. I don't think Riley is some cancerous tumor that needs to be removed - he's merely an average coach who has not met expectations around here. He's a nice man who put in a ton of effort for us. I'm upset that it didn't go well but I don't hate the guy. I don't think we accomplish much by removing him now, but, I don't think it's the wrong decision to fire him. I don't think there's an easy answer.

• Plus1 5