What question would you like to have Mike Riley answer 100% honestly?

18 minutes ago, Undone said:

Exactly. As if he needed to do research at some point with other trusted head coaches and try to figure out where his "practice focus" and "practice intensity" measures up to other successful programs. 

It doesn't seem that hard to read between the lines and make a relatively fair assumption in saying that Riley probably just kept doing what he'd always done, and therefore got the same results.

We all know that our practices in the 90s under Osborne were high intensity. It's well-documented. If you play like you practice, it seems relatively obvious that either Riley or his coordinators just don't have appropriate standards of practice intensity that the average Top 25 program has. How else does Iowa knock off Ohio State? How else does Wisconsin consistently spend the vast majority of every season ranked, and even sniffing the Top 10?

I help out with my son's baseball team, and I enjoy helping out with practices more than the games.  I'm more about the process of getting these kids better, and that comes from practices.  Practices are where the kids are going to learn and get better and come together as a team.  The team last spring/summer was pretty inconsistent, and I told the head coach that I thought his practices could be better and the kids could "learn" more.  He has said one goal he wants for next season is more productive practices.

• Plus1 1

I think it would be interesting to just ask him what he feels went right and wrong in his 3 years with the program and what surprises (positive and negative) he found when he arrived and really got to know what he was in for as Nebraska's coach.   I would suspect there would be many interesting details that many fans and outsiders, and even some insideres, are completely unaware of that would give a lot of perspective.

I think Riley has always appreciated having the media spotlight on his program and all the fan interest (and support early on anyway).   I believe he is a very honorable man and would be shocked if his departure is anything but honorable and respectful.   Now the assistants, who knows?   I hope our next HC, be it Frost or otherwise, opts to keep a few of the current staff (coaches or otherwise) as there is always a value in some continuity.    

Which ones, will take someone with lots more inside info and detail and interviews, etc.   We really don't know these assistants personally well enough to decide.  

But, we need to hire the best coaches that money can buy in every area and RECRUIT, TRAIN, BUILD AND DEVELOP.   The next coach needs to tell the returning players that if they want to play, they will be in the absolute top, best physical shape of their lives.  Bigger, stronger and faster.  Period.   If they aren't, they don't play.   

4 hours ago, teachercd said:

Maybe not...but like any good boss will tell you...all you gotta do is start making their life miserable.

1.  Mike you need to fire this guy

2.  Mike you need to fire this guy

3.  Mike we just managed to beef up the Non-Con schedule with games at Bama and at Clemson...

4.  Mike we were able to sell a home game this year so you have 3 straight on the road

5.  Mike gonna need you to can this guy from your staff

Which is what they did.  He was told to get rid of Banker.  He may have been told to get rid of Langs too.  Mike became upset when he tried to get those guys raises and was told to pound sand.  

1 hour ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

I think it would be interesting to just ask him what he feels went right and wrong in his 3 years with the program and what surprises (positive and negative) he found when he arrived and really got to know what he was in for as Nebraska's coach.   I would suspect there would be many interesting details that many fans and outsiders, and even some insideres, are completely unaware of that would give a lot of perspective.

I think Riley has always appreciated having the media spotlight on his program and all the fan interest (and support early on anyway).   I believe he is a very honorable man and would be shocked if his departure is anything but honorable and respectful.   Now the assistants, who knows?   I hope our next HC, be it Frost or otherwise, opts to keep a few of the current staff (coaches or otherwise) as there is always a value in some continuity.    

Which ones, will take someone with lots more inside info and detail and interviews, etc.   We really don't know these assistants personally well enough to decide.  

But, we need to hire the best coaches that money can buy in every area and RECRUIT, TRAIN, BUILD AND DEVELOP.   The next coach needs to tell the returning players that if they want to play, they will be in the absolute top, best physical shape of their lives.  Bigger, stronger and faster.  Period.   If they aren't, they don't play.   

I thought Diaco was a step in the right direction when it came to hiring better coaches.  I think nearly everyone did.  Some of this season makes no sense to me.  

This question of Riley being hired to not coach makes some sense but not complete sense.  For someone to be paid to just be a figurehead, he sure did get out and try to recruit.  Or at least he made quite a show of it.  And about Diaco being the heir apparent, that makes no sense.  He was only hired this year.  Was he on someone's radar for the previous two-three years?  

None. I don't blame Mike Riley and I'm definitely not mad at him. He wasn't the only one to think he'd do better than he did.

The only thing we can say is thanks for giving it a try. The blame falls on Shawn Eichorst. Based on all the information released about his coaching search, including his own admission, the guy is incompetent when it comes to hiring a football coach. I'm happy that he is gone. 

I think Bill Moos is the right man for the job. Everything eh's said so far has been spot on, in my opinion. Hopefully he doesn't let us down!

9 hours ago, neepster said:

What really was your reason for coming to Nebraska?  Did you really expect to win or did you do it to get more money for retirement?  Because you sure didn't approach it like you expected to win.

This one makes me sad... I think he did think he could win. I think he bought into the hype that was being spread: that he had never had the facilities or the backing to really put together a cracker jack team. So, he comes to UNL, has all the resources he could imagine, and still loses. This is what he's been doing his entire life, is finally given almost everything he probably ever felt he was lacking at other colleges, and still ended up .500. That has to be really just crushing. It's just a really sad story. I truly believe he thought he could win here.

• Plus1 1

I would prefer to ask Bob Diaco a question....

"Bob, how much wood could a woodchuck Chuck if a woodchuck could Chuck wood?"

Bob: well roughly 274lbs per day depending on the amount of strain that is seen. I mean we if we see the strain we can't have a  reasonable reason to expect the woodchuck to Chuck that much wood. Now with proper love and a nurturing environment full of love and care a wood Chuck would Chuck the most wood he ever could Chuck. 

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, Glendower said:

This one makes me sad... I think he did think he could win. I think he bought into the hype that was being spread: that he had never had the facilities or the backing to really put together a cracker jack team. So, he comes to UNL, has all the resources he could imagine, and still loses. This is what he's been doing his entire life, is finally given almost everything he probably ever felt he was lacking at other colleges, and still ended up .500. That has to be really just crushing. It's just a really sad story. I truly believe he thought he could win here.

That may have been true early on, but he has looked like somebody shot his dog all season.  He just stands there with his arms crossed with zero enthusiasm.  He wasn't like that for most of his OSU career.  However, he was a lot like that over his last three years there.  Three bad years record-wise BTW.  I thought going to Nebraska would rejuvenate him.  But it turns out that he was done and should have hung them up.