My Top 10 Single Player Games of All-Time

On 11/17/2017 at 0:18 PM, Enhance said:

I don't even know where I'd begin with my top 10 single player games. I've definitely spent the most time playing these (in no particular order):

Doom

Half Life

The Witcher 3

GTA: San Andreas

Assassin's Creed 2

Mass Effect Series (sans Andromeda)

Diablo 2

Red Dead Redemption

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

Final Fantasy 6 

The greatest single player game I've ever played is The Witcher 3, though. Hands down. I personally don't believe there's a better overall experience than when you combine graphics, story, immersion, detail, voice acting and combat.

Are the first two games in the Witcher series necessary for the enjoyment of 3? I've heard nothing but good things about Witcher 3. 

14 hours ago, Cdog923 said:

Are the first two games in the Witcher series necessary for the enjoyment of 3? I've heard nothing but good things about Witcher 3. 

I'm the perfect example because I never played TW1 and TW2. So, in my opinion, no - it is not necessary to play the first two. I did some wikipedia searching just so I knew the general plot of the first two and could pick up on some of the underlying story lines in TW3.

The thing that makes TW3 so superb is it combines excellent story telling (its strongest attribute) with well-refined combat mechanics. The world design is also beautiful and some of the side content is incredibly rewarding. The DLCs were also very well done. Personally, it's the best video game I've ever played.

13 hours ago, Enhance said:

I'm the perfect example because I never played TW1 and TW2. So, in my opinion, no - it is not necessary to play the first two. I did some wikipedia searching just so I knew the general plot of the first two and could pick up on some of the underlying story lines in TW3.

The thing that makes TW3 so superb is it combines excellent story telling (its strongest attribute) with well-refined combat mechanics. The world design is also beautiful and some of the side content is incredibly rewarding. The DLCs were also very well done. Personally, it's the best video game I've ever played.

How does TW3 stack up with Skyrim?

10 hours ago, dudeguyy said:

How does TW3 stack up with Skyrim?

I prefer TW3.

They're both great games but they're different experiences, too. Skyrim is a very customizable game where you can go thousands of different directions with gear, builds, characters, etc. TW3 is a little bit more streamlined even though you can do different builds, armors, impact the outcome of the game based on conversation choices, etc. TW3 excels in that it's just such a great story, the voice acting is so well done and you love the different nuances of each character. 

I think the combat is better designed in TW3, as well. Bethesda had to build and balance a game around characters who might be archers, thieves, magicians, warriors, hybrids, vampires, werewolves, etc. It's not that they didn't do a good job. They did a very good job. But, you can just tell the whole time things are a bit generic by design. TW3 has a lot of combat flexibility but, at its core, you're a sword-wielding bad ass with some magic and potion abilities. Each battle often presents a unique challenge and requires you, especially early on, to take proper precautions and ensure you're ready for battle.

I think I played through the main story three times and all of the DLC twice and I still haven't finished everything you can do in that game.

9 minutes ago, dudeguyy said:

What are y'alls favorite SP games you've played in the past year?

I just started Hollow Knight recently and it is amazing if you're into Metroidvania games.

Breath of the Wild and Mario Odyssey for me. I love Metroidvania games, though. 

7 hours ago, Cdog923 said:

I'm playing Mario Odyssey with my 7yo, and it's a hoot. We play 2 player and he makes me be the hat until he can't get through something, then we switch for a bit. And then he'll say, "I think it's time for me to carry you through this game again, dad." (My brothers told him to say that over Christmas.)

• Plus1 2

Super jealous of you guys. Switch is definitely on my list of things to get when I find a good deal & have more time. Those will be the firs two games I get.

That's pretty awesome Red. What a nice way to bond. 

17 hours ago, Cdog923 said:

I'd highly recommend Hollow Knight if you have a decent PC. There is a ton of content and it's a very well-designed game.

5 minutes ago, dudeguyy said:

Super jealous of you guys. Switch is definitely on my list of things to get when I find a good deal & have more time. Those will be the firs two games I get.

That's pretty awesome Red. What a nice way to bond. 

I'd highly recommend Hollow Knight if you have a decent PC. There is a ton of content and it's a very well-designed game.

At first I thought Hollow Knight was an expansion/sequel to Shovel Knight. It looks good, though. 

Another single player game I've been really into the past few months is Stardew Valley. It's Harvest Moon meets 2-D Zelda, with a crafting element to it. It ate a ton of my time right after I got my Switch. 

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, Cdog923 said:

At first I thought Hollow Knight was an expansion/sequel to Shovel Knight. It looks good, though. 

Another single player game I've been really into the past few months is Stardew Valley. It's Harvest Moon meets 2-D Zelda, with a crafting element to it. It ate a ton of my time right after I got my Switch. 

Lots of people have recommended Stardew Valley to me. I like the retro look of it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...