Assistants-who do we want?

33 minutes ago, ATS Knight said:

Yes, Flowers went off. But you know who was able to hold him and USF in check better than us? Cincinnati, Tulane, Houston, UConn, Tulsa, and, wait for it, STONYBROOK.

We did just as well as Temple and San Jose State, so there's that consolation. 

Yes, they it was a rivalry game, so it was different circumstances, but I know the horses we have on this team, they are capable of far more. I don't know a single UCF fan that disagrees with me. 

Ya, UCF's D made the play they needed at the end of the game but let's not pretend they didn't get gouged before that. 

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, RedDenver said:

This drives me absolutely crazy. We consistently run routes a yard short of the line to gain and third down (and 3 yards short on fourth down today), and we've done it all season - that's on the coaches and specifically Keith Williams.

I really don't think that Keith Williams is a Scott Frost type of Receivers coach. I have watched about 6 of UCF's games this year and their wide receivers really block hard. Noticed more pancakes from them than I saw from our offensive line. Not just making an outrageous statement they really get after it and seemed to take pride in it.

Just now, southernoregonhusker said:

That should be obvious to a player.  You can't blame everything on the coaches.  Certainly not basic stuff.  

I understand what you are saying, but the way it happens over and over again, I can put some blame on the coaching staff for that.  The basic stuff needs to be drilled into the players all the time, and if the players aren't doing the basic stuff right, the basics need to re-emphasized.

• Plus1 2
4 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I understand what you are saying, but the way it happens over and over again, I can put some blame on the coaching staff for that.  The basic stuff needs to be drilled into the players all the time, and if the players aren't doing the basic stuff right, the basics need to re-emphasized.

I see your point as well.  Our receivers doing this time and time again has driven me nuts all year.  The corners stand on the line of gain and our guys run their routes short of their cover guy constantly.  I feels like they don't want to mix it up at all.

14 hours ago, RedDenver said:

This drives me absolutely crazy. We consistently run routes a yard short of the line to gain and third down (and 3 yards short on fourth down today), and we've done it all season - that's on the coaches and specifically Keith Williams.

that was play design. morgan was supposed to be able to catch it then run for the first.

Have been rolling this around in my brain for a couple days.  Still haven't put as much time into it as I'd like.

But here's kind of a stab at what a Frost staff MIGHT look like.  Under the assumption that he'll bring several of his staff from UCF.

OC - Current UCF OC Troy Walters - Not sure this is anywhere near a slam dunk - UCF may look to promote him to HC - and he doesn't seem to have a tie to Frost prior to two years ago but I think he'd at least get an offer.

QB - Current UCF QB Coach Mario Verduzco - I would say this is about a lock.  Ties to Frost from when they were at Northern Iowa and Frost said he used a lot of what he learned from Verduzco to help Mariotta and others at Oregon.

RB - Current UCF RB Coach Ryan Held - Another lock as he's a former Husker as well.

WR - Walters is the current WR coach but if he doesn't come along perhaps Keith Williams would get a look.  Frost doesn't seem to have as many ties to current UCF TE Coach/Recruiting Coordinator Sean Beckton so perhaps he could try to fit Williams into the Recruiting Coordinator role.

OL - Current UCF OL Coach Greg Austin - I would think this would be a lock as a former Husker, was at Oregon with Frost and has NFL (Eagles with Chip Kelly) experience.  Only hangup would be if Kelly lured him to UCLA

DC - Current UCF DC Erik Chinander - Multiple reports that Frost will do everything he can to bring Chinander with him.  I had previously seen rumblings that UCF would look to him as their next HC but haven't seen that recently.

LB - Current UCF Associate HC/LB/ST Coach Jovan Dewitt - No real idea here but I'm assuming if Frost likes him enough to make him Associate HC he must value him pretty highly.  Has ties to Frost since Northern Iowa and has been some sort of coordinator (DC/ST) at various stops every year since 2003.

LB - Current UCF Quality Control Administrator Barrett Ruud - Rumored to be in line for the 10th assistant spot at UCF when it goes into effect this spring would be a natural choice for the 10th coach here.  Could have two LB coaches in a 3-4 especially if Dewitt keeps other responsibilities.

DL - John Parrella - Taking a stab here.  Current UCF DL Coach Mike Dawson doesn't seem to have deep ties to Frost, he probably won't bring everyone and Parrella would be a handy one to still have around in Lincoln

DB - Donte Williams - Another stab.  Current UCF DB Coach Travis Fisher doesn't seem to have long ties to Frost (again not bringing everyone) and Donte's recruiting prowess and west coast ties would be really handy.  Fisher is also a UCF grad so perhaps he sticks around there.

Staff - Just throwing out a couple with ties

Current UCF Chief of Staff/Director of Operations Gerrod Lambrecht - graduate of Concordia University (Nebraska)

Current UCF Director of Sports Performance (Football) Zach Duval - Former Husker Power assistant from 1994-2002, including time as a student assistant.

• Plus1 4