What do you think about these shows?

ScawFraw

Does nobody listen to Handley and Joe Quinn on 590 during the afternoon drive time?  They blow the USC guys out of the water.  

I generally like Sharp and Benning although Ehance's point about Benning being deliberately cryptic for the sake of being cryptic is annoying at times.

Bahe's program has plummeted since Schick left.  Schick is/was really freaking good.  Probably why he's at ESPN now.  I hate Bahe's stupid forced laugh thing he does.  I'm not much of a basketball fan so I see no reason to tune into Bahe.

I agree with the consensus that USC with Kugler and Severe was great.  I'll give Severe a listen every once in a while.  Thanks to whoever posted up the Bill Callahan parody call.  I remember when they went totally off the rails and started doing all the parodies of the parody.  My favorite was, "Hi!  I'm championship Callahan.  I'm a ghost because I don't exist.  Husker fan." 

Big Red Overreaction is entertaining for the same reason watching an extremely drunk person trying to walk is entertaining.

I still watch Big Red Wrap Up each week.  For the life of me I don't know why since everything they talk about/interview is usually readily available from multiple outlets.

I didn't see the Pick 6 Podcast listed.  I do listen to that generally every week.  

21 minutes ago, RedNebraskan said:

yikes..  No wonder I've never heard of it.  I have to check it out out of morbid curiosity at this point.

It showed to me that, while Bahe's show might annoy the crap out of me and I might disagree with 90% of his Jim Rome-lite schtick, he's actually a professional and is good at being a radio talking head. The rest of the shows on the station were like low-rent college radio. 

I can’t believe how many people say they dislike bahes show. I know a lot of people who love his show so while this is a small sample it’s still surprising. There are times his takes are so good that I wish the AD or head coach could here what he has to say. He really understands the landscape of Nebraska and college athletics. Same with Damon Benning. Damon understands things that many of us don’t always think about when it comes to a college program. I also think Bahe is really funny at times but I like when he’s serious too. I only listen to 1620 so as far as the afternoon guys I think they’re great when they’re serious and on topic. Every so often I have to turn them off because they get so obnoxious but overall great listen. 

Just now, Xmas32 said:

Does nobody listen to Handley and Joe Quinn on 590 during the afternoon drive time?  They blow the USC guys out of the water.  

I have tried, but they are extremely dry. USC still entertains me from time to time, but you can really tell when either Bishop or Peterson are in a mood, or when they just flat-out have nothing planned for a segment. Heaven help you if they're by themselves, but Peterson is at least tolerable. The times when their producer chimes in are probably the most entertaining. 

1 minute ago, huskerhead59 said:

I can’t believe how many people say they dislike bahes show. I know a lot of people who love his show so while this is a small sample it’s still surprising. There are times his takes are so good that I wish the AD or head coach could here what he has to say. He really understands the landscape of Nebraska and college athletics. Same with Damon Benning. Damon understands things that many of us don’t always think about when it comes to a college program. I also think Bahe is really funny at times but I like when he’s serious too. I only listen to 1620 so as far as the afternoon guys I think they’re great when they’re serious and on topic. Every so often I have to turn them off because they get so obnoxious but overall great listen. 

I didn't know Nick Bahe's wife had an account. 

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

I have tried, but they are extremely dry. USC still entertains me from time to time, but you can really tell when either Bishop or Peterson are in a mood, or when they just flat-out have nothing planned for a segment. Heaven help you if they're by themselves, but Peterson is at least tolerable. The times when their producer chimes in are probably the most entertaining. 

That's fair on the 590 guys.  I like a little bit more sports talk vs goofy shtick so they appeal for me.  Plus they talk quite a bit of baseball which I appreciate and not just awful Cubs homer stuff.

+1 on the other comment.   

10 minutes ago, huskerhead59 said:

Hi Nick.  Or Chip.

• Plus1 1

7 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

Ha...I guess after reading it does sound like that but just was kind of surprised on the opinions of his show

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, huskerhead59 said:

I only listen to 1620 so as far as the afternoon guys I think they’re great when they’re serious and on topic. Every so often I have to turn them off because they get so obnoxious but overall great listen. 

Yep.  That's where I'm at with the afternoon guys too.  They do discuss things well when they try.  Other times, it's a huge waste of time.

16 hours ago, Xmas32 said:

That's fair on the 590 guys.  I like a little bit more sports talk vs goofy shtick so they appeal for me.  Plus they talk quite a bit of baseball which I appreciate and not just awful Cubs homer stuff.

+1 on the other comment.   

Hi Nick.  Or Chip.

I'll give you that: they do baseball better than 1620 does, particularly Husker baseball. Didn't one of those two fill in on Husker baseball broadcasts last year? 

19 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

I'll give you that: they do baseball better than 1620 does, particularly Husker baseball. Didn't one of those two fill in on Husker baseball broadcasts last year? 

Yes, Handley did some Husker Baseball last year.  I for sure remember him calling the PSU series last year (how I remember that specifically I have no idea haha).

20 hours ago, RedNebraskan said:

What is it about Nick's perspective you don't like?

I only know the two guys they have now, kind of wishing it was those other guys though.

I don't know, I just think he tries too hard or something. I don't feel like he has some great insight into Husker football.  He likes to make lists about everything.  I just don't like his style.  Some said his favorite jock must be Cowherd.  I could see that.  I don't think he is particularly funny.    I am not big Creighton BBall fan so I am just not that  interested.  

The afternoon guys I rarely listen to.  Josh Peterson sounds like he is 18 years old.  He has no perspective on anything going on in the world.  The show was great with Kuglar and Severe. Actually it was Kuglar that made the show.  It took a big hit when he left and Severe was on with Bishop.  

On 11/15/2017 at 1:55 PM, secretasianman said:

Sharp and Benning - awesome show.  They work very well together and have great insight.  Damon has a good vocabulary and gets a little wordy, but mostly great stuff.

Unsportmanlike — can get painful. Bishop whines too much and Josh comes off as such a noob who never has an original take.  But maybe that’s because I hate snowflake millennials.

Nick Bahe - he’s funny.  Better when he had Schick, but still good stuff.  

I agree about Unsportsmanlike.  I'm listening right now and it's hard to not change the station.  They spend too much time on stupid stuff and trying to act funny.  It gets old.  Plus, Josh needs to learn that sometimes silence is golden.  No need to interrupt all the time.

On ‎11‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 9:39 AM, RedNebraskan said:

Sharp and Benning - No, the name Sharp would concern me to ingest

Game Time with Nick Bahe - No, I would be wondering who Nick was, he a cool guy?

Unsportsmanlike Conduct - Yes, sounds like things could get a little wild.

Husker Doc Talk Podcast - No, I would ask if this was meant to be in the wine aisle.

Big Red Cobcast - Yes!

HOL Show - No!

Sports Nightly - Feel like the go to on a cold, wet, raining Sunday night.

Husker Hangover - Probably the top seller

Big Red Reaction - Probably around $18.00 a case

Big Red Overreaction - Probably around $6.25 a case

Carriker Chronicles - Yes, Carriker is a strong looking name and chronicles has that majestic feel to it.

Big Red Wrap Up - One to get when friends are coming over.

I can't think of any more, but I'm sure there are.  Have any favorites?  Hate any of them?  

I usually buy my beer by the label name or picture on the bottle. In bold to the quote I say whether I'd buy it if these show titles were a beer.

I never missed Unsportsmanlike Conduct when it was Kevin Kugler and Mike'l Severe.

I try to listen now, but they are just annoying most of the time.  I also miss Matt Schick.  Kind of crazy to think we had Matt Schick and Kevin Kugler back to back on the local sports radio here.  Those guys are big time now, and Kugler may be the best play by play guy in the country.

I never understood the reason Nick Bahe has a show. It's just a former jock butchering the English language each day. He grabs one quote from some newspaper article or interview and beats it to death by making it more than it is. I honestly don't understand anyone interviewing folks from local TV and thinking it's interesting. I don't care what Andy Kendeigh from Channel 7 has to say. Who watches local sportscasts anyway.  "Andy what did you think of the Minnesota game?" "It was a bad game". No crap Sherlock.........Honestly any show that puts on local sports columnist and interviews them for their opinions is a total waste of air time anyway.