Simple Metric for Nebraska Fan Satisfaction

Not sure why, but everyone enjoys looking at that little number next to their teams name on the scoreboard. Something about it just makes you enjoy watching that team more. When trying to find a game, the average person will settle for the first game containing a ranked opponent.

Coach Seasons AP Ranked Finishes Notes
Bob Devaney     11     8 Only top 10 teams ranked until 1968. Top 20 after that
Tom Osborne     25     25 AP rankings expanded to 25 in 1989.
Frank Solich     6     5  
Bill Callahan     4     1  
Bo Pelini     7     4 Bo Pelini's real name is Mark Anthony
Mike Riley     3     0  

Feel free to share other statistics of interest. I'll add them to the OP.

• Plus1 2

11 minutes ago, darkhorse85 said:
Coach Seasons  Times I yelled "God Damnit, Mike Riley" Notes
Bob Devaney     11     N/A  
Tom Osborne     25     N/A  
Frank Solich     6     N/A  
Bill Callahan     4     N/A  
Bo Pelini     7     N/A  
Mike Riley     3     382 and counting  

Change that Mike Riley to <Current Coaches Name> and you have a  pretty high count with any coach. 

Since Black Friday (the beginning of the Curse of Black Friday), we've played 53 games against ranked opponents. We've won 15 of them. Penn State will be the last ranked team we'll play, so that record will end up this year being 15-39.

Depending on how things go with the new coach, etc, I don't know when that 16th win will come, or when the next conference title will be. 

56 minutes ago, Warrior said:

I think now it's the playoff rankings more so than the AP poll.  I know I'm splitting hairs, but that's the most important measure now.

I know that the playoff rankings are the most meaningful during the season (although they still aren't perfect), do they even do playoff rankings after the end of the regular season?  If not, the AP does have their poll after all the bowl games are complete.

55 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I know that the playoff rankings are the most meaningful during the season (although they still aren't perfect), do they even do playoff rankings after the end of the regular season?  If not, the AP does have their poll after all the bowl games are complete.

They don't have one after the bowl games so the AP is still the final poll,  but prior to the playoffs the AP means less so I guess both carry significant weight.

This really brings into perspective how far we have fallen.  

2 hours ago, Jeremy said:

Since Black Friday (the beginning of the Curse of Black Friday), we've played 53 games against ranked opponents. We've won 15 of them. Penn State will be the last ranked team we'll play, so that record will end up this year being 15-39.

Depending on how things go with the new coach, etc, I don't know when that 16th win will come, or when the next conference title will be. 

• Plus1 1
22 minutes ago, GA Husker said:

This really brings into perspective how far we have fallen.  

I think it's really telling that our last three coaches have coached 14 seasons, we only finished ranked 5 times in that time frame, and 4 of those 5 times was 20+.

I realize times have changed. But it's just fascinating that Tom Osborne was able to go 25 straight seasons ranked, the vast majority top 10 and many-many top 5.

It'd be interesting to know that stat for schools like Wisconsin, Oklahoma, Michigan, Florida, Miami, etc. Get an idea of how it compares to other "down" schools, as well as compare it to schools we consider successful over the last decade or so.

Edited by HuskerMav11
  • Plus1 1
3 hours ago, darkhorse85 said:
Coach Seasons  Times I yelled "God Damnit, Mike Riley" Notes
Bob Devaney     11     N/A  
Tom Osborne     25     N/A  
Frank Solich     6     N/A  
Bill Callahan     4     N/A  
Bo Pelini     7     N/A  
Mike Riley     3     382 and counting  

Posts like this are why the internet must live forever!

• Plus1 1

Collected the results of 12 other teams to compare from 2004 thru 2016 seasons:

Teams Seasons Total AP Top 25 Finishes
Nebraska     13      5
Wisconsin     13      11
Penn State     13      6
Michigan     13      7
Ohio State     13      12
Oklahoma     13      11
Texas     13      7
Colorado     13      1
Miami     13      4