Craig Bohl

Herbie95

Bohl was amazing at NDSU, and smart with how he recruited and built a winning system, but let's not make the assumption that he took over a loser of a program.

NDSU had accumulated 8 Division II National Championships, with five of those in the 1980's.  From 1964-2003 they only had two losing seasons.  Their entire Division II record was 347-94-4.

There was a bit of a lul when they joined Division 1 in 2004, which was to be expected, but let's not compare Bohl with coaches like Snyder, who turned around a truly moribund program in KSU.

When Snyder left KSU they returned to the toilet.  When Bohl left NDSU they immediately won two more Nattys, and are still going strong.  I don't want to take too much away from his accomplishment of three consecutive titles, but he was very smart to choose NDSU in 2003 IMO.

• Plus1 1

Regardless of where we are at, or direction we need to go, I feel we only have 2 real candidates for this job currently.  Bohl and Frost are in my opinion the only ones who knows the in's and outs of this program to take it and run.

I think it hinges on Florida.  Like 590am said today, Florida is closer to winning a National title right now than we or even most current job openings/anticipated otherwise.

On 11/17/2017 at 6:13 PM, MichiganDad3 said:

I don't want anyone that old even if they are a proven winner. We need someone with the fire and passion to prove themselves, not someone saving up for retirement.

What if Saban is willing to come? He’s about 5 years older than Bohl. Let’s say that Saban even said upfront that he would come to Nebraska but would only coach five seasons and then retire. Would you take him?

14 hours ago, everybody knows my name said:

A few thoughts from an outsider...

The sellout streak doesn't make your program great.  Having a great program is what gave you a sellout streak.  You no longer have a great program.

You would be lucky to have Craig Bohl for a variety of reasons.  He's a great (not good) coach.  What he did at NDSU isn't just impressive, it's amazing.  His last three seasons there he went 43-2 with three I-AA national championships.  He knows the culture and the geography of the Midwest and the Plains, and he has tons of connections in NE, IA, MN WI, the Dakotas, etc.

I laughed out loud when I read, "Take away those turnovers, flop the offense and defense around, and this is last year's 8-6 team."  I guess if you take away the things that make any team a winner, they'd be a loser.  Take away all the losses and Mike Riley would be undefeated.  So what?  Take away 100 extra pounds and I'd be slim.

Nebraska fans think there's something special about Nebraska and its program.  I know it hurts to admit it, but you are what you are.  At this point in history you're another Minnesota - a program with a storied history and a crummy present.  There's nothing special about the Nebraska job.  You need a coach who will rebuild it.

Neb is still a name program with a big, packed stadium and elite facilities.  The BIG added us for one reason, they got Nebraska football. To say there is nothing special about the program is being ridiculous. We could fall into perpetual mediocrity and becoming just some program that was good once but we are hardly there yet. 

On 11/22/2017 at 4:40 AM, everybody knows my name said:

The sellout streak doesn't make your program great.  Having a great program is what gave you a sellout streak.  You no longer have a great program.

You would be lucky to have Craig Bohl for a variety of reasons.  He's a great (not good) coach.  What he did at NDSU isn't just impressive, it's amazing.  His last three seasons there he went 43-2 with three I-AA national championships.  He knows the culture and the geography of the Midwest and the Plains, and he has tons of connections in NE, IA, MN WI, the Dakotas, etc.

I laughed out loud when I read, "Take away those turnovers, flop the offense and defense around, and this is last year's 8-6 team."  I guess if you take away the things that make any team a winner, they'd be a loser.  Take away all the losses and Mike Riley would be undefeated.  So what?  Take away 100 extra pounds and I'd be slim.

Nebraska fans think there's something special about Nebraska and its program.  I know it hurts to admit it, but you are what you are.  At this point in history you're another Minnesota - a program with a storied history and a crummy present.  There's nothing special about the Nebraska job.  You need a coach who will rebuild it.

Bohl lead NDSU to a 2-1 recored against Minnesota, the only B1G school he played during his tenure at NDSU:

2006:  L (9-10) Minny team that got stomped by all B1G teams with a pulse and gave up the largest lead in FBS bowl history to lose their bowl game. But hey NDSU kept it competitive and every kid got a trophy after the game!!!

2007 : W (27-21) NDSU murder stomps juggernaut Minnesota who would finish the season 1-11 with zero wins in the B1G.   /s

2011: W (37-24) The Bohl led Bison go all 95 Skers on Minnesota who ended the year 3-9, 2-6 in Legends play...but only lost by 2 at the Coliseum that year and walloped Iowa (7-6 record) 22-21. /s

Bohl can't even demolish the bottom dwellers in our conference much less our half of the conference with his so called GREAT coaching, midwest connections and understanding of the culture.  We are NO Minnesota and never will be.  If we only had the 71 and 95 Nebraska squads and lost every other football game since electriciity was invented until the end of days we would still be infitnitely more relevant than Minnesota.  Thanks but no thanks for your analysis.

Edited by HIHusker
11 hours ago, Vols1891 said:

What if Saban is willing to come? He’s about 5 years older than Bohl. Let’s say that Saban even said upfront that he would come to Nebraska but would only coach five seasons and then retire. Would you take him?

Well if we are going to take a stroll through Imaginationland might as well say hell yes, but only if he lets Monte Kiffin and Charlie McBride co-coordinate the defense (walkers, 24/7 nursing and depends provided), TO be OC (with Frost as CO-OC/HC in waiting), we call up the Re-Animator to resurrect Milt Tenopir to coach the current O line that seems to be just taking up space and may not be fit to pass a finger painting class while saying things like "darrrr i thot pankakes we sumfin u eated fo brekfust", run a cloning project to combine the dna/best traits of Turner Gill, Tommie Frazier and Eric Crouch....naming him Touchdown Nebraskenstein (strike fear into the hearts of ole tOSU with him on the depth chart!!!)....sorry its late and my sarcasm is going off but you get my point....this will NEVER happen.  But point taken, being toooo close minded to options around age might be worth looking at...but not for Bohl and it would have to be a homerun hire with guaranteed top 10s every year...again not gonna happen but good point.

Edited by HIHusker
On 11/19/2017 at 1:00 PM, formerfan8 said:

If you were a recruit and you read many of the posts on this board and others would it effect your desire to commit to Neb?

If you were a former fan and read many of the posts on this board and others would it effect your desire to become a fan again?

On ‎11‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 8:40 AM, everybody knows my name said:

Take away my beer and I'm not a nice guy. 

Take away this coaching staff..........please!

Edited by Hayseed
16 hours ago, Vols1891 said:

I would be very skeptical. I would want to be sure that his reason for coming to Nebraska was to be the only coach to win a MNC at three universities, and that he had the fire to do it.

3 hours ago, epocSoN said:

Nebraska already has a backup plan in place if Frost doesn’t accept, and it’s not Bohl

Who is the backup plan?  I mean do we really have a clue at this point?  Kelly sounds if he is either Florida bound or UCLA, so we can take him off any dream list.  With the current jobs being open, and Texas A&M being next to add to the list, I don't know if we do have a clear cut 2nd choice.  Mullen sounds like he is likely looking at either Auburn ( if open), Arkansas, or Tennessee.  Staying within the SEC is what the national media seem to be saying.  

Like I have said on this thread, I don't think Bohl is the best person for the job, but don't think he is a bad choice either if Frost says no.  I really like Mullen, and could see him doing some great things here, but sounds like SEC is where he wants to be.  It will be best if Frost says yes, and then this all goes away.  If Frost goes to Florida, then WOW, this board will explode, and Moos is in for an uphill climb here that he won't win unless we get an absolute home run hire.

1 hour ago, Nebhawk said:

Who is the backup plan?  I mean do we really have a clue at this point?  Kelly sounds if he is either Florida bound or UCLA, so we can take him off any dream list.  With the current jobs being open, and Texas A&M being next to add to the list, I don't know if we do have a clear cut 2nd choice.  Mullen sounds like he is likely looking at either Auburn ( if open), Arkansas, or Tennessee.  Staying within the SEC is what the national media seem to be saying.  

Like I have said on this thread, I don't think Bohl is the best person for the job, but don't think he is a bad choice either if Frost says no.  I really like Mullen, and could see him doing some great things here, but sounds like SEC is where he wants to be.  It will be best if Frost says yes, and then this all goes away.  If Frost goes to Florida, then WOW, this board will explode, and Moos is in for an uphill climb here that he won't win unless we get an absolute home run hire.

From what I have heard we have a verbal commitment from a coach everybody would be pleased with as a backup if the Frost deal falls through.

19 hours ago, epocSoN said:

From what I have heard we have a verbal commitment from a coach everybody would be pleased with as a backup if the Frost deal falls through.

Who? Who did you hear it from? 

I'm good with Bohl.....kinda doubt he wants to coach here though.

Edited by Hayseed