Craig Bohl

Herbie95

I would  have  no problem with Craig Bohl as the HC at Nebraska.  But as this thread shows there are too many Nebraska fans that just can't get past the fact that Craig Bohl's defense gave up 64 pts to Colorado, and the next year they went 7-7.  Too many people think it is all his fault.   

The fact that he has proved himself over a very long time that he is a great HC and has built 2 good programs has no barring the discussion.  He wounded fans in 2001 and they won't forgive. 

Edited by NUinID
  • Plus1 2

2 hours ago, Herbie95 said:

Bohl then becomes the next likely canidate. 

I have nothing against people speculating but how do you know this?  Perhaps it's just a matter of wording.

p.s. - Wyoming has an awful offense this season.  Considering only stats from games between conference teams, their average yards per rush is the same as ours at 3.38.  That's bad enough for 103rd out of 126 teams (excluding the independents).

Edited by beorach

I'm a big Craig Bohl fan.  He built a dominating program at NDSU and he has Wyoming playing pretty well.  They have a chance to go 9-3 and make it to a pretty decent bowl game this year.

Records at Wyoming are:

4-8

2-10

8-6

7-3 (2 games left)

Steady improvement.

However, he just isn't what we need right now.  We need a coach that is instantly a national splash when he is announced.

Bowl needs to finish this year strong, have another good year next year, then get his chance at a P5 program.  He's 59 so it's not like he has a lot of time to keep building his resume.

I think it's pretty ridiculous to hate on a coach simply because of the outcome of one game 15 years ago.

Edited by BigRedBuster
  • Plus1 1

1 hour ago, Herbie95 said:

24-3 using leftover players isn't a blowout.  Riley used a roster with twice the talent of Iowa to lose by 30.

16 minutes ago, husker98 said:

No they didn't. They did however get blown out by Oregon though.

My OP was more a Shawn Eichorst quote joke, but since when is losing by 3 scores not a blowout?

Do we really have so much blow out PTSD that we don't think losing by 3 touchdowns is a blowout?

• Plus1 1

The whole world knows we are in an all out press for a top flight coach. If we end up wt Bohl then we are in an even worse place than the most dour fan could imagine.  And that isn't a knock on Bohl.

That aside,  I think he has done a great job elsewhere and he should be commended and not put down due to the past here at NU.  He has recovered nicely.  And to be honest,  63-36 is far better than some of the other disasters we have faced since  that infamous day in Colorado. It only sticks out as the worse because it was probably the worse defeat in decades up to that point - and it cracked our shell of invincibility.  We had to look squarely at the elephant in the room and realize that the emperor had no clothing - even wt Eric Crouch we were in 2001 becoming a shell of the program that we were in 1997 (by the way who was the QB of that 97 team?:D--  I think there is a tiny thread named after him in case you are wondering.  )

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, Herbie95 said:

If Frost doesn't go to NU I think he stays put at UCF.  Bohl then becomes the next likely canidate.  Kelly is not coming to Nebraska.  Bohl is what Riley was supposed to be. An experienced coach building a solid program while we wait for Frost to be ready.  Bohl won't be the DC this time.  He's obviously knows DONU maybe too well and what happened in 2002 might have soured him.  He's right at the age Riley was in 2014.

You won’t get many to agree with you about Bohl around here. I mean, how many shoe contracts does he have?

I agree that he would build a solid program from the ground up.

There are also other solid coaches who don’t get a lot of mention who would do the same.

Bohl seems to have the same make-up of just about every coach under the TO/Solich tree (including Solich) in that they are good at developing the kids they get but either don't like or aren't great at recruiting. They seem to thrive at lower levels of CFB be it non-P5 or 1AA where they can find overlooked guys (another trait they all seem to possess) and coach them up/make them better