5-7 Bowl Eligbility

Herbie95

If getting to a bowl didn't change any of the timeline of firing Riley and getting a new coach (Frost) then I would be fine with getting to a bowl game. One more time to see the Nebraska Cornhuskers play around the Holidays would be a joy. And since I am come accustomed to losing, I wouldn't care if we won or lost, it would just be nice to see them play one more time knowing we had a brighter future ahead.

3 minutes ago, Frost Advisory said:

If there was ever a Nebraska team that didn't deserve to go to a bowl game, it's this one.  How we could justify going to one with our blowout loss to Minnesota and the Northern Illinois debacle is beyond me.  The Huskers should be above participation trophies.

Like 2015, although the team didn't deserve to go to a bowl game, it was in large part in reason of the fans that Nebraska got to a bowl game that year. Would be the same this year, a bowl rep would know how well Nebraska fans travel and would probably see more money in getting us to their bowl game if we were "eligible". Like I've said before, and we all really know this, Nebraska fans are the only reason this program stays relevant in college football.

• Plus1 1

Probably don't deserve to go bowling this year but I would like to see it.  The seniors need it as a payoff for a lot of work and disappointments.  The school would get more money.  I think it would help recruiting to join a team that went bowling, especially if they beat Iowa and win the bowl game. 

It could not be worse that the year Solich took the team to LA play off based on the computer score and got thoroughly humiliated.

On 11/21/2017 at 3:22 PM, Comfortably Numb said:

Am I the only one who does not want this version of the Huskers to play in a bowl game? Normally an extra game has benefits like additional practice time, game experience, etc. I don't see where those things would do the program any good at this point. The quicker this current staff quits influencing these players the better IMO. It's time for a hard reset when the new coach comes in. Until then, I just hope for as little damage as possible.

I bet a lot of fans just want this nightmare of a season to end.  

1 hour ago, Redux said:

I really don't wanna watch Bob Diaco coach us to a loss against Georgia Tech or Mississippi State or something.

Exactly. It would be one thing if there was somebody near the top of the staff that could take over but we've got nada. The two coordinators need to go out that door ahead of Riley. Just isn't feasible to get rid of all the deserving parties and then be able to field anything resembling a team and we haven't been able to field one with them so... I'm sorry but the situation we're in falls squarely on the shoulders of the head coach. He may be a nice guy and he likely had good intentions but he did for sh#t setting this team up for success. The sooner it's over the sooner we can turn the page to a better chapter.

• Plus1 1

After Thursday night there are 71 bowl eligible teams and 20 teams sitting on five wins, with a couple of teams whose season is over. 

After looking at this weeks opponents for those twenty teams my gut feeling is that eight probably are going to win. Thus there will be more bowl eligible teams than bowl slots (78) and any five win team is out of luck.

After Friday's games there are now 74.  And as an example why I don't bet on football, none of the last four qualifiers were my pick to win.

Edited by Old Nebraska Guy
update