What's most important to you?

7 hours ago, knapplc said:

I agree, wins are important, but for me it's just being competitive (from which wins will come).

I'm sick to death of seeing lackluster Husker teams get blown out by teams that should be our peers. I'm sick of seeing teams like 2017 Minnesota or 2015 Purdue run roughshod over us. I want to see an offense that has fire in their eyes, and an attacking, aggressive defense. 

What I most want to see, in all aspects of the game, is a team that has an identity. They know who/what they are, what they're about, and they attempt to inflict that on their opponent.  That's what being competitive is, to me. No kid grows up wanting to "take what the defense gives us," or grows up wanting to play a prevent defense their entire college career.  They want to smash someone, whether they're an offensive lineman or a Safety. 

It seems like with Bo's mishmash offense and bend-but-don't break defense, and whatever the hell Langsdorf and/or Banker/Diaco are doing, they're putting our kids in a passive mode.  Winning football isn't passive, it's aggressive, predatory, dictatorial.  It's no wonder kids have been disinterested in games when the schemes they're required to adhere to are boring AF.

^^^This

If I would add anything to this it is that my preference would be to have a very solid rushing attack. I'd prefer it to consistently be top ten in the country and top 2 in conference but all I really need is when it's 3rd and 2 I want to feel confident they know what to do and how to do it and can get it done. This 50 yards rushing per game is BS and it annoys me that most announcers still talk as if that's our game. We haven't been about that since we were good over 15 years ago and it's about time we get back to that.

8 hours ago, HuskerMav11 said:

So a lot of people are hoping that Frost is named the next head coach, myself included.

But regardless of who the next coach is, what is more important to you? What aspect would be number 1 priority for you? Feel free to be as broad or granular as you please.

For me, it's a dual-threat QB. As painful as Riley's first two seasons were, my favorite aspect of Nebraska football has always been an explosive QB with speed on the ground.

Tommie Frazier, Scott Frost, Eric Crouch, Taylor Martinez, Tommy Armstrong. I loved watching those guys plays. You have guys like Joe Ganz and Zac Taylor who were damn good quarterbacks, but they're not the guys who you think about when you talk about exciting Husker QBs.

What's number 1 on your wishlist?

To see the players play hard, physical football for 4 quarters and to be put into good positions by the coaches to make plays.

I used to have a specific preference for style of offense and defense...now, I just want the team to play well.  I figure if they play well, pretty much everything else falls into place.

Great recruiting sometimes overshadows average coaching.  I think we need to really amp up our recruiting.  Need to leave no stone unturned.  Find every hidden gem that we can, and then expand.  Not saying that our next coach wouldn't, or couldn't be great, just saying that people like Gundy at Oki ST seem to win alot of games because he recruits talent.  Can't call him a great coach, but average.  Most years they are a 9 win team for the most part.  Okie St never gets blown out anyway.

I also think we need to quit living in the past.  Yes, we need a dual threat QB, but one that can pass.  Those guys you named in an earlier thread were great runners, but average to below average passers.  The game has changed enough that you have to pass some and be effective.  Those guys are out there, but we need a system to draw them in to it.

I think we need a mamoth O-line and a steady defense.  Asking for a stonewall D isn't going to happen.  Offenses each season get more creative and more wide open.  Just need a D that can minimize big plays.  We have got to quit thinking like the 90's.  We might have had one of the greatest teams in history (1995 team), and we may never see a team come together like that one did on both sides of the ball.

• Plus1 1

I don't want to look at our division standings in late November and see us towards the middle or bottom.  We came here to win this damn league, not be a stepping stone for Wisconsin every freaking year.  I want to win the West most years and never lose to that pile of crap team in Madison ever again.

7 hours ago, Hooked on Huskers said:

Bowl.  Any bowl.

5 hours ago, RunMickeyRun02 said:

Agreed. 

And as easy as it is to get to a bowl it should never be in doubt. That's all I wanted/expected going into this year. 

Yep.  Worse than heroin and meth withdrawal.  And cigs habit.

Edited by Hooked on Huskers

I want to see true BLACKSHIRT DEFENSE!! Old school hard nosed football that opponents will fear. A defensive toughness that hurts the opponents, instead of having players that get hurt themselves. Enough of these “so called” finesse players who are fast but injury prone. I want toughness and grit. I want the blackshirts to mean as much when handed out to players as they used to. When our D makes a sack, throwing the bones is all the reason a recruit should want to come to this state to play football. 

Edited by Bad2theBONES
  • Plus1 1

1. An offensive line that dominates from the first offensive series to the last. Pulling guards, pancake blocks, tackles that manhandle opposing ends/linebackers. OL that are just as respected as they are feared. ie. 90's Pipeline, Raiola, Fonoti, Incognito, Slauson, etc.

2. A truly 'Blackshirt' worthy defense. DTs that will clog the holes and have the ability to make a big play or two. DEs that play 'balls to the wall' every play. LBs that can stop the run, but are capable of going sidline to sideline. And lastly DBs who are there for run support, but capable of dropping back, defending the pass or hitting the opponent where it counts.

3. An offensive identity-West Coast, Run amd Gun, Option, idc just something.

4. A defensive identity/mentality.. a prideful sort worthy of the Blackshirts.

5. A coach that understands, embraces Nebraska, her culture, values and mentality and the fishbowl atmosphere.

6. Idk, a competant , possibly seasoned coach and a team that is capable of performing for all 4 quarters without dumb mistakes and constant blunders. A team that just bullies opponets from start to finish.

Edited by McBrideMafia