Keyshawn Jr. Gone if Riley is Fired?

Tommy Armstrong was a gamer, pure and simple.  Lots of people, Husker fans included, didn't give him enough credit.  He won at the Big House as a freshman. 

Let's compare him to Tanner over the two losing seasons for MR (only PASSING stats as we know there's no comparison otherwise):

Games 12 for TA and 11 for TL

Attempts 402 for TA and 387 for TL

Completions 222 for TA and 224 for TL

% Complete 55.2 for TA and 57.9 for TL

Yards 3,030 for TA and 2,938 for TL

Yards per attempt 7.5 for TA and 7.6 for TL

Touchdowns 22 for TA and 21 for TL

Interceptions 16 for TA and 13 for TL

QB Rating 128.63 for TA and 132.84 for TL

Attempts per game 33.5 for TA and 35.2 for TL

Yards per game 252.5 for TA and 267.1 for TL

Considering Tommy Gun wasn't the type of QB for a system that was brand new at Nebraska, along with the threat he represented as a runner, I think he performed admirably overall.  The only thing in Tanner's favor, with respect to the comparison, is that the Cornhuskers could run the ball with TA (so it STILL comes back to #4!).

I won't fault Me-shawn for loyalty.  That's admirable.  I will fault him for stupidity and taking a shot at a guy who had a tougher job at DONU than he did at the University of Spoiled Children.  I wonder if HE ever tried to play a game with makeshift bracing from a hardware store on his leg.

Edited by beorach
  • Plus1 2

14 hours ago, Frost Advisory said:

We need to stop recruiting soft minded California kids.  That's not how we're gunna get Nebraska back to where it needs to be.  Gotta have tough kids with grit and attitude.  No big loss here.  I also lost all respect after he went after TA.  That kid gave every game his all.  What a great leader.  He was the only reason we even won 9 games last year.  This dude can go kick rocks.

While I’m not disagreeing with the “soft minded”California kids theory, I think it’s more important to recognize the fact that under Riley we have been recruiting players that were first and foremost only interested in playing here to pad a resume and move on to the NFL.  They saw that he had developed players for and probably had many contacts in the pros and didn’t give a damn that his college teams never amounted to squat.  When I was in high school I didn’t know anyone who wouldn’t give their left nut to put on the uniform....need to get back to that.

43 minutes ago, beorach said:

Tommy Armstrong was a gamer, pure and simple.  Lots of people, Husker fans included, didn't give him enough credit.  He won at the Big House as a freshman. 

Let's compare him to Tanner over the two losing seasons for MR (only PASSING stats as we know there's no comparison otherwise):

Considering Tommy Gun wasn't the type of QB for a system that was brand new at Nebraska, along with the threat he represented as a runner, I think he performed admirably overall.  The only thing in Tanner's favor, with respect to the comparison, is that the Cornhuskers could run the ball with TA (so it STILL comes back to #4!).

I won't fault Me-shawn for loyalty.  That's admirable.  I will fault him for stupidity and taking a shot at a guy who had a tougher job at DONU than he did at the University of Spoiled Children.  I wonder if HE ever tried to play a game with makeshift bracing from a hardware store on his leg.

I did not see the pick 6's by each player??

• Plus1 2

The B1G has gotten better and we've gotten worse since joining.  I think we already had a sort of MR in BP, though.  He always managed to lose at least a game or two he shouldn't in a given season.  He did all right in games we didn't think we'd win, though, on the other hand.  Wisconsin doesn't fit into either of these categories.  Michigan having to sit Denard and OSU having to play Bauserman come to mid with respect to the second, though.  Given Bo's defensive preference of selling out against the pass, it wouldn't seem reasonable to think that was going to mean conference championships either.  I understand Purdue wants to go back to basketball on grass maybe...and Indiana has been pass-happy for a B1G team recently...but the best passing team is Ohio State probably...and that's just a matter of their having it all.

Christ on a cupcake people. What did people expect that Sr would say, given that he has stated repeatedly in the past that Riley was the reason Jr was here. I agree it lacked character to throw Armstrong under the bus and he shouldn't have done it, but how many of you were on here bashing Tommy for not being able to throw? I seem to remember quite a few. As for the comment by somebody that the whole Calibraska thing was stupid... what an ignorant and harmful thing to say. Good luck competing in the P5 with a team comprised solely of Nebraska kids, regardless of who the coach is.

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, beorach said:

And don't forget how many of TL yards came in garbage time after the other time subbed in 3rd stringers (Penn State)

• Plus1 1

I get the vitriol against Sr. I don’t agree with it, but I get it. It’s exactly what I would expect him to say. I don’t understand being upset that someone is who you thought they were.

All the hate towards Jr. should stop though. There’s more to that situation than what’s public. His “lack of definition”, the “drugs”, heading back home.

12 minutes ago, MichiganDad3 said:

And don't forget how many of TL yards came in garbage time after the other time subbed in 3rd stringers (Penn State)

EXACTLY Oregon, after they shut down in the second half Penn State in the second half. That's also where his completion % went up. I loved how TA responded on Twitter.

Key Sr. is on sports radio here in SoCal.  He makes a lot of statements.  I have heard him rip teams that are doing much better than Nebraska...it makes for good sports talk radio.  If this was happening at his beloved USC he would never stand for it.  I understand his loyalty to Riley and he is also close with K Williams so let's all just see where this goes.  If we land Frost (the hottest coach in the country) than I think recruits are going to hear him out before they decide.        

• Mavric changed the title to Keyshawn Jr. Gone if Riley is Fired?