Head Basketball Coach Search

3 hours ago, teachercd said:

I get the idea of letting the season play out...but what do you need to see or not see?

Like...if he make the dance clearly he is fine.  We know that.

But if that doesn't happen...what then?

Clearly NCAA saves his job (especially if they win a game or more).  NIT might depending on if they make a run.  If they end up a 7 or 8 seed in the NIT & go one & done, then he's probably gone.  If they end up a 1-3 seed an make a run (thus showing promise for next year) he probably comes back.

1 minute ago, ECisGod said:

Clearly NCAA saves his job (especially if they win a game or more).  NIT might depending on if they make a run.  If they end up a 7 or 8 seed in the NIT & go one & done, then he's probably gone.  If they end up a 1-3 seed an make a run (thus showing promise for next year) he probably comes back.

I think that sounds about right.

39 minutes ago, pearljammer said:

So quick to be calling for the head of the only coach that's taken Nebraska to the NCAA tourney in a 20 year span. Sheesh

I'm willing to give him the rest of this season, personally, barring a total collapse but what has he done outside of that tourney run where he basically caught lightning in a bottle?  

Nebraska Cornhuskers (Big Ten) (2012–present)
2012–13 Nebraska 15–18 5–13 10th  
2013–14 Nebraska 19–13 11–7 4th NCAA Second Round
2014–15 Nebraska 13–18 5–13 12th  
2015–16 Nebraska 16–18 6–12 11th  
2016–17 Nebraska 12–19 6–12 T–12th  
2017–18 Nebraska 5–2      
Nebraska: 80–88 (.476) 33–57 (.367)

To keep his job, finishing with a winning record would be a good start and showing some semblance of being a to run a competent offense throughout the season (against teams with a pulse) would be nice as well

1 hour ago, pearljammer said:

So quick to be calling for the head of the only coach that's taken Nebraska to the NCAA tourney in a 20 year span been within one loss of the school record for losses four out of the five years he's been here. Sheesh

Just depends on what you want to focus on I guess.

Well at least he brought us to the tourney. No one else had been able to do that for quite a while. I Just get tired of the fans with the "he better get X result or he's gone" type attitude. Yeah I want us to win as bad as the next guy but starting the season with this kind of mentality is pretty toxic.

I think Nebraska fan should win an award for most entitled fan base in America. Fans with that type of attitude are probably the same ones that complain for a foul every play and leave with 4 minutes left  in the game no matter what the score is.

• Plus1 2
18 hours ago, I.M. OLD said:

Does anyone seriously think that we will hire a new BB coach with the $$$$$ going into the Football program this year?? Let them play. He has far more talent this year than he has ever had. Hopefully they will jell and show us what they have got 

Considering we could pay all the buyouts and the first year salaries of the entire new staff just with the INCREASE in B1G money, I don't think one will effect the other.

2 hours ago, Mavric said:

Considering we could pay all the buyouts and the first year salaries of the entire new staff just with the INCREASE in B1G money, I don't think one will affect the other.

That Big 10 money is already going to stadium improvements, mostly.

On 11/28/2017 at 6:23 AM, Minnesota_husker said:

First choice would be Fred Hoiberg but he would need to get canned by the Bulls first.

I would also be open to taking a look at Craig Smith. He has done a good job with South Dakota and I think he might have been a bit of the reason why we went to the tourney a few years back.

Few names that seem to have steam as guys who could make jump to power conference:

Nick McDevitt- UNC-Asheville

Eric Konkol- Louisiana Tech

Maurice Joseph- George Washington

Matt Lottich- Valpo

Scott Padgett- Samford

TJ Otzelberger- South Dakota State

Earl Grant- College of Charleston

Danny Manning

2 hours ago, I.M. OLD said:

That Big 10 money is already going to stadium improvements, mostly.

Incorrect 

2 hours ago, teachercd said:

The part that should be the biggest issue is that after the Dance year they had everyone back and started top 25...only to end up with 13 wins.

Yeah that was a big head scratcher. Wondering if the team lost it's hunger after making it to the dance the year before. Also I can see Pettaway being affected by his family situation the following year. We have a ton of talent this year hopefully we can put it all together and make something happen.