Head Basketball Coach Search

15 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Four years of near-school-record losses

Two "good" years that combined to net a grand total of zero post-season wins

When a "good" season is the bottom half of the NIT....

The added talent and soft schedule helped mask the issues for most of this year. For much of the last 6 years this team has had the same recurring problems. They almost always have long scoring droughts because they don't run much of an offense, they usually struggle to rebound (-17 tonight, good grief) and they don't have a consistent 3-point shooting threat.

I like Miles, but he hasn't shown much as a coach. I hope he does well next year, but in my eyes next year is a tourney or bust year for him.

• Plus1 4

On 1/24/2018 at 4:22 PM, Big red surfers said:

Unless we win 2 games in the big ten tourney this team is going nowhere but to the nit.....maybe.  

On 1/24/2018 at 4:32 PM, seaofred92 said:

thank you. Amazes me people fail to realize how awful the B1G is this year even though I've laid the numbers out there multiple times. There's a chance that by the end of the season the only game out of our last 10 that is still considered a top 100 game is Maryland. That is AWFUL. The "gauntlet" schedule Nebraska has played this year is ranked 90 in SOS. This team is playing bad teams and winning, playing average teams and splitting, and plays a few good teams and loses. This team is like a 4 or 5 seed NIT type team right now

:confucius

• Plus1 2
4 hours ago, seaofred92 said:

what exactly did we wind up earning this year besides a double bye in the Big Ten Tournament before getting blasted Mary Pat? 

A trip to a third world country masquerading as a Southern US state? 

I would say one more year. Either next year Tim Miles turns the corner and we give him an extension or it's time to cut the cord. It would send a really confusing message to cut him loose now after a record win total. Granted those wins were all against teams we should beat and we never rose up and beat a high quality team outside of Michigan. I'll be the first to admit I'm the biggest Tim Miles "honk" but after last  nights un-inspiring performance I have a bad taste in my mouth.

On to football I guess :dunno

31 minutes ago, MileHighHusker said:

Didn't you hear? he's got NBA hands. Plus he doesn't really know how good he is 

He does have a ton of talent, but needs to be more assertive.  He plays way to tentative.  When he's playing the 5 and has a traditional 5 guarding him, he needs to demand the ball on the outside and drive with a purpose.  He's got a decent outside shot, but seems unwilling to pull the trigger most of the time.  He is super smooth, can jump out of the building and is sneaky quick, but he seems too willing to defer to others.  He needs to be a leader on the team, not just another player.  He put up 10 & 8 last night and other than the missed dunk you never really noticed he was there.  I think he has the ability to play in the NBA eventually, but certainly not now and probably not after next year unless his game takes a huge jump.

The issue is this: If the talent gap isn't wide in a lot of cases -- granted, Duke and Kentucky are loaded as usual, albeit with a lot of youth -- what often becomes the difference between a good season (NIT) and a special season?

You know the answer, but I'll say it anyway: Coaching.

Is Tim Miles the coach who can lead Nebraska into the wondrous depths of this glorious madness?

In his sixth season at the school, the 51-year-old put together a roster equipped to win in the NCAA Tournament, but the Huskers ended up as first-round losers in the NIT. Can he keep putting together rosters that can end the program's remarkable NCAA Tournament drought -- 0-for-7 all time?

LJS

41 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

I'll ask the obvious: is this really a roster that can win in the NCAA tournament? 

Nebraska could do what K State is doing this year.  Get a beatable draw in the first round and play an upset winner in the 2nd round and win.  This team won't win vs the Duke or Villanovas of the NCAA.  Without a serviceable post player who can patrol the lane and consistent 3 point shooters we are limited.  On the other hand we did upgrade our play this year so I am hopeful the newcomers from the last few years can step up.