Head Basketball Coach Search

I know Pitino is not interested in stepping foot in the state of Kentucky. I know we would never get him, but it would be funny if some B1G team hires him and he has to play his son every year. Or what would be even funnier is if they fired young Pitino to hire his dad to take over. I also wouldn't be surprised if he hires his dad to be an assistant to help right the ship up there (or the boat). 

Not sure who we would get if Tim were let go next year. Might be some up and comer from the tourney. Tubby Smith might be available but it seems he clashes with admins a lot. That UMBC coach would not be terrible if they make another tourney upset. I have brought him up before but if Mark Gottfried is available I think he would do a great job here. He had one bad season at NC State and got axed, the conference was also really deep that year. He knows basketball and he would definitely get players like Thomas Allen with others playing up to their potential. 

Edit: It was two losing seasons not one, but 2 out of six years made the sweet sixteen and four out of six he made the tourney. 

Edited by HuskermanMike

1 hour ago, seaofred92 said:

Moos probably had the political capital from the Frost hire to fire Miles even after this season if he wanted to. 

I think he probably had his sights set on one to two candidates in particular and once that didn't happen figured it would be best to regroup at the end of next season

You might have something here. I think Moos was thinking big hire or keep Tim. One thing that cautioned firing him was the 22 wins. Not a lot of coaches want to jump to a program that hasn't won a tourney game when they get fired for winning 20 plus games. I think another NIT appearance next year saves Tim his job IF we make some noise in it. If we go one and done again he will be in trouble. If we make no postseason he will be gone, especially with the conference being down like it is now, we need to capitalize on that. 

Edited by HuskermanMike

Yeah, I like Gottfried quite a bit.

If I'm say...Pitt I say eff it and hire Pitino.  They are at absolute rock bottom and literally their entire team is trying to transfer.  I'm sure Pitino would love the chance to stick it to Louisville if he could.

• Plus1 2
2 minutes ago, Xmas32 said:

If I'm say...Pitt I say eff it and hire Pitino.  They are at absolute rock bottom and literally their entire team is trying to transfer.  I'm sure Pitino would love the chance to stick it to Louisville if he could.

That is an interesting scenario, I didn't realize they have no coach still. No matter what, year one will be rough for that program under any coach. They are in a mess and I think Pitino might say thanks but no thanks unless that is the only gig he can get. 

13 minutes ago, HuskermanMike said:

That is an interesting scenario, I didn't realize they have no coach still. No matter what, year one will be rough for that program under any coach. They are in a mess and I think Pitino might say thanks but no thanks unless that is the only gig he can get. 

Yeah, it strikes me as a similar situation to what Bobby Petrino went through after he got whacked from Arkansas.  He jumped over to WKU for some image rehab.  Whether either party is interested in such an arrangement remains to be seen obviously.

Edited by Xmas32

On 4/2/2018 at 3:35 PM, Xmas32 said:

I've been banging the Mark Gottfried drum for a year now. 

20 hours ago, Mavric said:

Of course he does; that's two more years of Creighton curb-stomping Nebraska. 

• Plus1 1