***Official Iowa Game Discussion Thread***

Mavric

Just now, CheeseHusker said:

Like so many games in the last two years, I wonder what the score would actually be without our own stupidity.

Probably 21-7 right now. Nebraska is playing decently well today but what we're seeing has been a staple of Riley-coached teams since he got here - constant, egregious mental mistakes. It's fundamentals. They always, always mean the difference between winning and losing.

• Plus1 1

Just now, Enhance said:

If that's the case, perhaps. I just don't know if it is or isn't. I've only ever heard the 'tackle box' referenced on a standard down. I don't think I've ever heard it referenced on a punt play. I don't think the same rules apply to a punt.

I agree it's a cheeky penalty and is akin to flopping, but that's what the rules state. If you touch the punter without hitting the ball then it's a penalty. We'd do the same thing if given the opportunity.

Found this from back in 2011:

Rule 2-26-3-a: The kicker is any player who punts, drop kicks or place kicks according to rule. He remains the kicker until he has had a reasonable time to regain his balance.
Rule 9-1-4-a: When it is obvious that a scrimmage kick will be made, no opponent shall run into or rough the kicker or the holder of a place kick.
Rule 9-1-4-a-5-b: The kicker’s protection under this rule ends when he carries the ball outside the tackle box before kicking.
Just now, whateveritis1224 said:

Found this from back in 2011:

Rule 2-26-3-a: The kicker is any player who punts, drop kicks or place kicks according to rule. He remains the kicker until he has had a reasonable time to regain his balance.
Rule 9-1-4-a: When it is obvious that a scrimmage kick will be made, no opponent shall run into or rough the kicker or the holder of a place kick.
Rule 9-1-4-a-5-b: The kicker’s protection under this rule ends when he carries the ball outside the tackle box before kicking.

Very interesting. I'd have to rewatch the head on version of that play then to see if he was inside/outside. I'm guessing they get the benefit of the doubt in those rugby style kicks.

1 minute ago, Enhance said:

Very interesting. I'd have to rewatch the head on version of that play then to see if he was inside/outside. I'm guessing they get the benefit of the doubt in those rugby style kicks.

It looked to me like had only taken a couple steps. If wasn’t still inside it looked like he was awfully close. Probably too close to not get the call. 

2 minutes ago, Enhance said:

Once the ball is kicked, thats it. You can't go in and hit the punter, regardless of where he's at.

Going back to this, but just searched through the 2016-2017 (so last year) and here is what they have to say as an example:

Punter A22 is 15 yards behind the neutral zone when he catches the long snap, sprints to his right at an angle toward the line of scrimmage, FI-66 RULE 9 / CONDUCT OF PLAYERSAND OTHERS SUBJECT TO RULES and runs outside the tackle box. He then stops and punts the ball, and is immediately hit by a diving B89. RULING: Legal play, no foul by B89. A22 loses his roughing or running-into protection by carrying the ball outside the tackle box.

So either they forgot this, or I guess they deemed the punter to still be in the tackle box.

Edited by whateveritis1224
1 minute ago, Caliborn72 said:

True but that last score should have been a stop. I know that the defense still got lit up after the penalty, but still. They’ve shown flashes to me but I get why people would disagree.

in your defense, the drives have been long drives rather than big plays.