Fox’s Mike Hill comments on SE

Dagerow

After the game, in post game commentary, Hill stated that (the store is that) SE made Riley fire Banker.  I thought this was interesting.  Apparently I’m out of the loop, as I’ve never heard a  reputable source say/print this (and I’m not talking about a internet post).  If so, he didn’t let Riley run the team the way he wanted and probably would have done much better this year.  Indeed, if SE did this with Bo (making demands and “recommendations”), it would explain a lot too, as after he got hired, NU didn’t seem to play as well as before.  Whatever the truth is, I’m more happy SE is gone then anything else.  He, imo, cursed this program, and it will take a lot of time to repair the damage he did.

• Plus1 4

I’m not trying to defend the guy because Eichorst did a terrible job, but I’m sure there was a ton of pressure on him to make some changes as well. 

Firing Banker and hiring Diaco was seen as a major win for our program. People, and not just Huskers fans, were talking about it as the hire of the off-season. We might have been better with Banker but it feels too convenient to blame Eichorst for forcing a change. That move screamed of ultimatums being given.

SE was a strange dude and terrible AD, no doubt.  But don't try to pin Pelini's problems on SE.  Pelini was a raging a-hole long before SE was hired. His first leaked profane rant was from 2011.  Osborne's big failure as AD was that he didn't fire Bozo himself.  If he had, maybe Perlman wouldn't have hired SE to do it.

• Plus1 1

He screwed both coaches, just in different ways.  He avoided Bo like the plague and told Bo to work with what he had in terms of money for staffing upgrades. Money he had no problem giving Riley. He meddled like hell with Riley. He was trying to put his fingerprints on the program like his mentor Alvarez except Barry actually knows WTF he is doing. That said, we sucked in every phase of the game today,  you can't just blame Diaco. Riley has to go. 

• Plus1 5

19 minutes ago, Kernal said:

SE was a strange dude and terrible AD, no doubt.  But don't try to pin Pelini's problems on SE.  Pelini was a raging a-hole long before SE was hired. His first leaked profane rant was from 2011.  Osborne's big failure as AD was that he didn't fire Bozo himself.  If he had, maybe Perlman wouldn't have hired SE to do it.

maybe perlman shouldn't have publicly chastised Bo- that wasn't his job to do that and I think he was a ranging ahole to do that publically- that was the beginning of the end for Bo because Perlman ....gasp... couldn't take the horror of a coach who showed a pulse on the sidelines

you anti Bo guys are great- look what you got- a C nt for an AD (gone) and Ahole chancellor (gone) forced out a legend- and a winning coach who thin  skin wieners couldn't stand because "he was an embarrassment " well soak in the loss to Iowa ya got your nice coach who loves you all - no embarrassment in losing to Iowa today is there?

• Plus1 6
34 minutes ago, Kernal said:

Are you effen serious? 

8 minutes ago, Whistlepig said:

maybe perlman shouldn't have publicly chastised Bo- that wasn't his job to do that and I think he was a ranging ahole to do that publically- that was the beginning of the end for Bo because Perlman ....gasp... couldn't take the horror of a coach who showed a pulse on the sidelines

you anti Bo guys are great- look what you got- a C nt for an AD (gone) and Ahole chancellor (gone) forced out a legend- and a winning coach who thin  skin wieners couldn't stand because "he was an embarrassment " well soak in the loss to Iowa ya got your nice coach who loves you all - no embarrassment in losing to Iowa today is there?

wtf? There's a difference between passion, and the s#!t Pelini pulled on the sideline and the culture he instilled. Dude had to go.

• Plus1 5

I’ve thought since the time it happened that there was no way Riley’s decision to fire Banker was all his own.  No way it goes down like it did if it was.

It’s been speculated for awhile that some combination of Eichorst and Devaney forced his hand.

Diaco’s disaster this season doesn’t make it the wrong move.  Just another example of how Riley doesn’t really have it in him to really take a stand on things.  Gets pushed around/let’s too many things happen that shouldn’t be going on to really make the ship go like it should.

Edited by Mavric
  • Plus1 2
9 minutes ago, Whistlepig said:

Yeah, it wasn't rage-nose's behavior was it; it was everybody else.  Zero accountability, just like Bo.  Point those thumbs at everybody else.  Too bad you don't remember Osborne as coach of Nebraska football or you wouldn't make such ignorant comments about a coach showing a pulse.

Riley was essentially fired after game three this year.  I'm sorry you watched the whole season expecting to see a competitive team- it must have been maddening for you.  I didn't even bother watching today.  I have no embarrassment at all.  Zero.  If my choices were Bozo or Riley for 2018, I would choose Riley 100% of the time.  If for some Pelini were re-hired I would not watch a single thing to do with Nebraska football. 

• Plus1 1

there is no substit

1 minute ago, Kernal said:

Yeah, it wasn't rage-nose's behavior was it; it was everybody else.  Zero accountability, just like Bo.  Point those thumbs at everybody else.  Too bad you don't remember Osborne as coach of Nebraska football or you wouldn't make such ignorant comments about a coach showing a pulse.

Riley was essentially fired after game three this year.  I'm sorry you watched the whole season expecting to see a competitive team- it must have been maddening for you.  I didn't even bother watching today.  I have no embarrassment at all.  Zero.  If my choices were Bozo or Riley for 2018, I would choose Riley 100% of the time.  If for some Pelini were re-hired I would not watch a single thing to do with Nebraska football. 

good for you - matched what I thought you were....have another Runza

49 minutes ago, Kernal said:

Miles was a terrible hire too.

• Plus1 1