Is Scott Frost the ONLY Answer?

Frost is the main answer.  I can't imagine he doesn't come.  If that happens NU has to make a BIG splash.  UCLA just got Kelly on the cheap.  

Jimbo Fisher or Bob Stoops and maybe have Les Miles coach OL for awhile with either of these guys.  I know this is way outside the box thinking but we cannot settle for a Bohl, Campbell, Moorhead, Calhoun, etc.  These would be extremely underwhelming hires.  Fuente would be the least I'd take.  Leach is out there as last resort.  Aranda would be down on the list...I like the defense he plays and he will get to be a head coach one day.  

Scott may not want the scrutiny. Or deal with the toxicity.

He will remember those who never forgave him for going to Stanford. He will remember the grumbling after the Arizona State debacle. And he'll certainly remember the game against the team he's currently coaching where people wanted him benched for Frankie London.

I can't imagine the decision is easy for him with those things still in his mind somewhere.

I know most of us look back on his time here as successful, and it certainly was.... but we all had to warm up to him. He may have to warm back up to all of us.

Edited by CheeseHusker
  • Plus1 1

4 hours ago, moveitforward said:

There are many outside of our State who already consider us to be a bottom dweller of the Big Ten.

It's true. And there's not much we can do to refute it right now, sad to say.

Back to the main question...no, he's not the only answer. I'd love to see SF get the job, but I'd be all in on Harrison Campbell from ISU if Frost doesn't work out. And there are a handful of others that would work too. Folks just need to be aware that this is not an overnight fix. A lot of the fanbase and alumni are going to have to come to grips with that.

Edited by NYJ0815
16 minutes ago, NYJ0815 said:

It's true. And there's not much we can do to refute it right now, sad to say.

Back to the main question...no, he's not the only answer. I'd love to see SF get the job, but I'd be all in on Harrison from ISU if Frost doesn't work out. And there are a handful of others that would work too. Folks just need to be aware that this is not an overnight fix. A lot of the fanbase and alumni are going to have to come to grips with that.

Harrison? Do you mean Matt Campbell?

42 minutes ago, CheeseHusker said:

Scott may not want the scrutiny. Or deal with the toxicity.

He will remember those who never forgave him for going to Stanford. He will remember the grumbling after the Arizona State debacle. And he'll certainly remember the game against the team he's currently coaching where people wanted him benched for Frankie London.

I can't imagine the decision is easy for him with those things still in his mind somewhere.

I know most of us look back on his time here as successful, and it certainly was.... but we all had to warm up to him. He may have to warm back up to all of us.

The more I think about it... the more I think the most likely scenario is his simply staying at UCF.  He's a new father, they love him there, giving him a big raise, expectations not 'Power-5 crazy'... he's got all sorts of talent around him... and Florida weather.   

Yeah, I think he stays where he's at.

Why would Campbell want to go from ISU to Nebraska?  The fans love him, the AD loves him, his players love him, he has a boatload of talent...his talent...coming back for next year.  He's already coaching in a Power 5 conference and building a program HIS way with HIS players.  You really think he'd consider leaving that behind to start over with a program that's in shambles and a team of players who pretty much mailed it in after finding out that winning wasn't automatic just because the had 5 stars out of high school?  

If Nebraska can't get Frost, you better lower your expectations on who Plan B might be because, like it or not, Nebraska really can't be considered a dream job for a head football coach anymore.

8 minutes ago, Cy the Cyclone said:

Why would Campbell want to go from ISU to Nebraska?  The fans love him, the AD loves him, his players love him, he has a boatload of talent...his talent...coming back for next year.  He's already coaching in a Power 5 conference and building a program HIS way with HIS players.  You really think he'd consider leaving that behind to start over with a program that's in shambles and a team of players who pretty much mailed it in after finding out that winning wasn't automatic just because the had 5 stars out of high school?  

If Nebraska can't get Frost, you better lower your expectations on who Plan B might be because, like it or not, Nebraska really can't be considered a dream job for a head football coach anymore.

You can't be serious here, how about doubling his salary?

Yep...to poach Campbell it'll cost you 10 million just to start...then you have to add in maybe 2.5 million more for his salary...plus a like amount of money for his staff...looking at 15 million right there.  Then you have to add in what's left of Riley's contract and his staff...along with whatever is left from the Pelini contract...oh, and that AD you just got rid of and the new salary that your new AD commands over and above the fired guy....

How you paying for that?  Maybe with declining ticket prices and merchandise sales?  You want to risk bankrupting the athletic department on Campbell?  More power to you I guess...

3 minutes ago, Cy the Cyclone said:

Yep...to poach Campbell it'll cost you 10 million just to start...then you have to add in maybe 2.5 million more for his salary...plus a like amount of money for his staff...looking at 15 million right there.  Then you have to add in what's left of Riley's contract and his staff...along with whatever is left from the Pelini contract...oh, and that AD you just got rid of and the new salary that your new AD commands over and above the fired guy....

How you paying for that?  Maybe with declining ticket prices and merchandise sales?  You want to risk bankrupting the athletic department on Campbell?  More power to you I guess...

Not saying we want to or will, but bankruptcy?  PLEASE

We get $51 million per year from our tv deal alone.  The university has 2 billion in its general fund.